Keyster Carb Kit/beware

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSGU1-4936

Reaction score
Well I finally got my bike back from the shop, and it works, had no other choice, just couldn't get the bike to work, turns out that the Keyster kit that I purchased on-line from ebay, the pilot jet, and the needle jet were incorrect, pilot jet had the correct # but was not the proper size. The needle valve wire is also incorrect, I had to replace it with the old one. The o-ring for the float bowl is not pre-formed, makes it a bitch to get it to stay in, Lesson learned I guess next time purchase OEM parts, would have saved me money and time .

Ron
:rocket bike:

I wondered about the quality of those kits. They are cheap, relative to oem parts. But i will continue to overpay, but only pay once.

In Carb Capitals defence I received $40.00 back through Pay-Pal, half the cost of the kits, one tenth of what it cost to get the bike fixed.

Lesson Learned.

Ron:cheers:

I wanted to throw my two cents in on the keyster kits.

I ordered the same kit from ebay and read this thread and a few others about possible problems with the kit.

I was hesitant to use any of the kit, but I decided to go ahead and use selected parts from the kit for my rebuild.

I rebuilt all 4 carbs with the parts listed below from the keyster kit and everything seems to work fine.

From memory I used:

37.5 jet
152.5 jet
90 jet
o-ring and gasket under the jet block
mixture screws, o-ring, spring and washer
float bowl gasket
small thick o-ring under the slide covers
gasket for the coasting enrichers

I attempted to use the new brass looking kit screws that hold the jet block in place, but the first one I tightened up broke off. It is obvious the screw was inferior to the original screw.

I also tried to use a common sense approach to replacing the parts. I tried as good as I could to compare by sight, the size of the keyster jet with the original on the ones I replaced. I had a feeling my main issue was the rubber parts since I had previously tore the carbs down and cleaned them only using all the original parts including all the gaskets and o-rings during reassembly.

View my original post with a run down of the bikes problems initially.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2430

Hope the additional Keyster information helps someone else out.

EDIT: Forgot to say that my bike is running fine with the above replaced keyster parts.

Thanks

Foz

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm new and a day late but I had to ask if "Keyster" was the same thing as "Carb Kit Capital" out of Canada. Carb Kit Capital also has a carb rebuild kit that my husband and I purchased and are having the same type of problems as fozfoz. Guess we should have bought OEM.

Just thought I would ask.

Hi kellielu

Carb Kit Capitol out of canada is who i bought the kit from. Keyster appears to be the manufacturer of the kits.

Please note I just edited my previous post to include that the parts from the kit that I listed above seem to be working appropriately in my max.

I took all the Keyster parts out of Kellie's carbs today and put the stocks stuff back in. It ran much better according to Kellie. I don't recommend going with these generic kits. You get what you pay for. The jets...not accurate...especially the needle jets. A copule of them were okay but the other two had oblong orifices. The jet block gasket was really crap. It was twice as thick as stock and didn't seat properly.

Just wanted to add my two cents about Carb Kit Capitol carb kits for the vmax. I put the complete kit in my bike and it would not run above idle. After three days of playing with it ,I finally put the old parts back in and the bike is almost good except for a little sputter at throttle roll on. Also they say they have never had any complaints about their kits and will not give me any kind of refund. Please add your comments here if you have had problems and also email Carb Kit Capitol. They need to pull these kits as they cause a lot of headaches for us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back