Knocking!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, give me a call, 316-619-8411

Got a few questions the shipper would like to know. Later,
Sean

Got my engine today. Just got to get in installed now!

Engine is in the bike now. Just got to finish hooking everything up. Solid motor mounts make it a little harder to get back in I think.

Well I got it fired up last night. Running a little rough but I didn't have the air box on it. Hopefully will finish it up and take it for a spin Saturday.

Man, reading this thread has been like waiting with a buddy outside the delivery room:biglaugh:

Good luck with the new engine.

Rusty

They won't run for shit without the airbox on unless you have stage seven air correctors in place. Also, don't forget to resync the carbs to the new engine. It's a pump after all and not all are the same.

Sean

Got everything buttoned up Saturday afternoon. Synced the carbs and everything cleared up and ran smooth. Took it out for about a ten mile test run and everyhting was great! This engine feels much stronger than my bikes original engine! I really like the feel of the clutch since Sean did the "Double D" mod for me and the solid mounts feel nice too. I was woried about the extra vibration but just like Sean said, it is hardly noticeable. Heck I can still see out of the mirrors at 85mph. I am glad it is done! I have one rubber gaurd that I can't for the life of me figure out where it went? I will take a picture of it and post it to see if someone recognizes it. Going to try and put a couple more short rides on it and then go back over all the bolts again. It is great to be able to ride again!!!!!!!

Got everything buttoned up Saturday afternoon. Synced the carbs and everything cleared up and ran smooth. Took it out for about a ten mile test run and everyhting was great! This engine feels much stronger than my bikes original engine! I really like the feel of the clutch since Sean did the "Double D" mod for me and the solid mounts feel nice too. I was woried about the extra vibration but just like Sean said, it is hardly noticeable. Heck I can still see out of the mirrors at 85mph. I am glad it is done! I have one rubber gaurd that I can't for the life of me figure out where it went? I will take a picture of it and post it to see if someone recognizes it. Going to try and put a couple more short rides on it and then go back over all the bolts again. It is great to be able to ride again!!!!!!!

LOCKTITE EVERYTHING WITH BLUE. Shit will start falling off with solid mounts.

Glad to hear that you are back up and running!

Put about 250 miles on the new engine yesterday in the moutains around Boone, NC. It sure is good to be riding again!

Damn! Got an oil leak now. Left side cover at the front, top. Guess I will have to pull that off and replace the gasket. :(

Yamaha must have lowered the quality of the valve cover gaskets.Mine seem to go bad every couple years.Mine are only a year old now and look to be dry rotting already.WTF?

Mine are about 2 years old and they look good yet. Try putting some Armor All along the edge.

Mark

If it's the stator cover get a middle gear cover while you are at it. It's easier to remove the stator cover with it off.

Sean

It is leaking from the front point of the highlighted area. Not my bike by the way, a nice one though.

Attachments

• vmax5_04_10_2005.jpg
    vmax5_04_10_2005.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 56
call me as soon as you can (not tonight though - LOL). Buddy will be driving through to this next week to pick up the core. Also, got an idea on what to look for on your leak.

316-619-8411

Well I guess the engine is coming out. Was riding Saturday on the Blue Ridge Parkway and came through a section of curves and rolled on it pretty good coming out of the last turn, that's when it started. Was knocking pretty good so shut it off and coasted into a overlook, that's where I spent the next few hours waiting on a buddy to bring the trailer. Pretty sure it is a rod. My Max has about 17,000 miles and I have always changed the oil on time, any one else had this happen? Probably get the engine out by this weekend and start tearing it down. Any input on perfromance parts will be great because might as well do some stuff while it is down. Anyone have a service manual for the engine you can scan for me?:bang head:

Sorry to hear about your knocking VMAX. If you go on youtube and do a search VMAX ROD Knock you will see one of my 4 Engines that knocked. I have blown a 99, 2003, and a 98 Motor all within 5 years. The VMAX engine isnt as tough as many would like to think. All depends how you ride I guess. I do have a monster tach with a shift light set at 9400 and I still blow engines.
How many of us leave 200FT Burnouts taking off in 2nd. Wheelie from 40 to 115 on NOS Drag Race an avg of 10-15 passes a month, top speed runs 155+ been chased by the police atleast a half dozen times. Yeah I love my VMAX! I have spent a fortune on her, many hours in the garage pulling motors. Yes there are faster and bulletproof bikes with warrantys, but there is only 1 King of Muscle Bikes! The V MAX,
It takes a little more than the V-Boost to excite me. :-D "Ride it Like you stole it":banana:

There are things that can be done to improve the bearing life!

Sean

Well, got the engine started to pull down last weekend. Meant to post sooner. The old engine was by far the most carboned up engine I have ever seen! It was so bad the the "In" and "Ex" that is cast into the top of the piston was imprinted into the carbon built up in the cylinder head!

Haven't pulled the halves apart yet but there is copper everywhere!

Sean Morley

Back