Lapeer Dragway first run on my max..... 6-9-2012

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
My first run on my max at the track.

Carbs are popping and surging bad. I get backfires out the exhaust. I know they need to be synched and its running WAY to rich. I ll have to rejet and set them up properly soon.

My bike is all stock except for Supertrapp slips ons. 14,000 miles. Stock everything, right down to air filter, fuel filter etc.

All this will be changed soon.

I couldn't really run fast, my first run was a 11.94. Next time up, I was told I needed full leathers at that track to run in the 11's. So I had to cut the throttle and tap the brakes to keep me in the 12's.

I had problems launching smoothly without the tire spinning badly. My best 60 ft was 1.897. Which totally sucks. I need to start my burnouts in 2nd gear next time, get more heat into the tire.

I launched at 4000 rpm to keep wheel spin under control. I waited for the motor to drag down before I throttled in and that helped, but still was hard to get out of the hole decently.

I ll work on that big time. I know this should easily be running 1.65-75's without a problem. I just need more seat time.

Best pass ( spun tire first 30 ish feet or more )

1.947 60 ft
7.792 1/8 mile @ 95.09 mph
11.914 1/4 mile @ 115.35 mph

My very first pass was

1.897 60 ft
7.777 1/8 mile @ 94.12 mph
11.944 1/4 mile @ 115.22 mph

And I missed a shift , but caught it quick on that pass.

I ll keep you guys up dated as I eventually get into the 10's on the bike ( hopefully ). I have a ways to go, but I ll get it there.

Thanks
Todd

Not bad first time out. NHRA says you dont need leather pants untill you break 120 mph but they might be a little picky at that track. I was told not to come back untill I had leather pants to. It takes some work to get into the 10's specially when your over 20.0lbs in gear but its fun getting there

I forgot that this track was a little more picky on things.

I remembered after I made my first pass lol. Bu tit was 7 years ago since I ve been at that track racing. So ..... memory is a little slow as I get older haha.

Thanks
Todd

538600_425570054143806_81280756_n.jpg

255518_425570027477142_1062517510_n.jpg

Just launched on this one. You can see my feet coming to the pegs. The boots where to big and I had a hard time stuffing them underneath the shift lever lol.

Great job Todd. I dident think that your bike would turn that good of a time. I think it had alot to do with the rider.

Drop those triple trees 1.5 or 2.0 inches over the fork tubes. Drop the air in that rear tire. What rear tire you running? Shinko?
Lay forward more and drag your legs behind unless it is time to shift already.
I don't think that time is bad. What do you weigh? Did you get rid of all the extra weight like centerstand etc.
Get them leathers. Worth their weight in gold.

210 lbs is what I weigh.

I am going to drop the front 1" possibly 1.5". I still ride this on the street, so I don't want to lose alot of front movement and put the fender too close to the radiator.

Rear tire is stock Dunlop Qualifer. I know it sucks, but its brand new ( or was 1000 miles ago ).

Bike is 100% bone stock save the slip on Supertrapps. So everything that Yamaha put on it from the factory, the way it was, is the way it is.

So everything is still bolted on and in place as it left the showroom floor, so its heavy.

I don't intend on making this a drag bike really. I ll run it at the track here and there, and that might make it more difficult to make it an easy 10 second bike. But I ll see where it takes me.

Thanks for the tips and ideas though. I appreciate it.

Thanks
Todd

Looked like fun Todd, not bad times at all! You looked like you knew what you were doing lol. I'm thinking most stock Vmaxes should run mid to high 11's and you were there..

These pictures are done by Dave at Kustom Kreations. He shoots LOTS of pictures there and then offers them to you in different packages.

My wife did the video. The pictures I posted are all from Dave ( you can see his watermark ).

These are low quality and he has better quality ones. I am going to get a few of them from him.

Todd

Hell yeah those are sweet pictures, I could tell on the Hell ride the way you were riding 2 up that you were no stranger to riding.

Patmax I just meet todd on the last ride and he talk a great talk and if you new the history behind what he is riding you would be impressed with what he pulled off. I have to say todd has walk the walk on a vmax. Im sure he has been down the strip a few times. That being said patmax is right about that shinko i just bought my second one and it hooks up.

Very nice pics Todd. I think I'd get them all !!! Hope to catch up with you on some of the up coming Michigan rides !!

Before I found my 2010 Gen2 up in Petoskey, came real close to getting one from Ray Jr. of Ray C's of Lapeer. He was good to work with, just saved a lot more $s buying sl used !!

Latest posts

Back