Looking at Purchasing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New member here.
I'm looking at selling my v-star and buying a v-max. There are a couple of 2007 versions for sale near me. I'm wondering what you think of the v-max as commuter/day ride bikes? I don't do any touring beyond a days ride and mainly use my bike for short trips around town after work. But I don't simply want a show bike that isn't practical, I still need a bit of usefulness that won't end up with me in a wreck on the highway...
Other than that I can say that I fell in love with the look and power in the v-max and I hope to own one soon!
Thanks a lot.
Ty

You cant go wrong with a V MAX, I dont think you will find anyone on this forum that will tell you to get anything different. I personally am and have been a BIG fan of the MAX since the first one I ever saw back in 85

The last 2 that I owned I rode daily with no problems, the fuel economy seems to be the down side since at about 100 miles +- the time to refuel comes up. With the correct mods this machine will deliver everything you will ever want out of it POWERFULLY of course this is only my personal opinion..

Good luck and welcome to the Forum, you will never find a greater bunch of people on the net

I'm looking at selling my v-star and buying a v-max. There are a couple of 2007 versions for sale near me. I'm wondering what you think of the v-max as commuter/day ride bikes? I don't do any touring beyond a days ride and mainly use my bike for short trips around town after work. But I don't simply want a show bike that isn't practical, I still need a bit of usefulness that won't end up with me in a wreck on the highway...
Other than that I can say that I fell in love with the look and power in the v-max and I hope to own one soon!
Thanks a lot.
Ty
The Vmax is a fine commuter bike. Just do it, you won't be sorry.:rockon00: incidentally,My GF rides a 650 Vstar.

You want to replace a V-star with a V-max? DO IT! Everything is better on a V-max.

I ride my vmax to work daily which is ~90 mile round trip.

While the Vmax really isn't designed with touring in mind, namely the horrible stock seat and limited fuel range, there's no need (especially with an 07 that has all the factory updates) to worry about it being unreliable, hard to handle in town/traffic, or really anything else.

If in good tune and with moderate riding you can get around 40mpg and still do 60 in under 4 seconds when you want to.

Two members here offer reasonably priced seat alternatives. One reshapes then recovers the stock seat, another manufactures a complete replacement. I have Sean's reshaped and it is a notable improvement, I've heard nothing but compliments about Rick's replacement seat as well.

I've been around several motorcycle forums for various brands and models, and this is by far and away the most useful. Any issue, question, mod, you'll ever consider can be found here.

I rode an '86 between Tampa and Orlando for the best part of a year - never missed a beat. I did get a better seat and a windshield, and it made a great fun commuter for me.

And you get to eat up anything on four wheels and most sports bikes up to 600ish at the lights :)

Thanks a lot.
Ty

You won't be sorry. VMax's are Awesome... I can cruise at 90 to 100, glass smooth IMHO...

At 85mph I'm right around 5K on the tach, it will run like this all day and be happy about it!......I like to roll on the throttle and feel the V-Boost hit......What a blast!......Your at 120+ before you know it, very addicting indeed!..........It's also capable of being a very doscile around town cruiser too.......It's all in how you want to ride it........................Tom.

i commute on my max practically every chance i get. going to and from work is about 52 miles whether it be cruising down a riverside highway ridiculing cages making mad dashes from green light to green light, or simply sitting in traffic leisurely getting me from A to B, or lighting it up on an intestate on-ramp before merging into the drifter's lane relaxing into an 80-mph breeze.

i don't know if you would want to mod an '07, because in my mind's eye, i view the '85, '05 and '07 as the years that collectors prize. but if i had an '07 i don't think i would hesitate modding it. i'm not into showcasing a collection piece. i bring this up because, if you regularly perform the typical vehicle maintainance on an '07, it'll give you worry-free drives; but, you might start finding yourself wanting to address the creature comforts for your daily driver. for a couple years, i've been running a slightly modified stock seat that the previous owner shaved down an inch or so in name of comfort. although the first 25 miles on it were not exactly excruciating, my ass would start getting rubbed raw around then, completely falling off the bone around the 50th mile or so. just this weekend i replaced it with twistedmax's (Rick's) MaxGasser, and my first 100-mile joyride was simply a magic carpet ride. depending on the types of intra-town jaunts you make, you might start looking into a different handlebar, grips, highway pegs, a sissybar/backrest, maybe a parcel rack, saddlebags, a tank bag, windshield, flyscreen. all or none depends on what you think you need/want--none of these are absolutely required.

good luck and hoping you find your dream max.

^^^SEE Told ya, there is no way you can go wrong and even if you have trouble or questions on mods or what went wrong how to fix it, well this is the place

If you are looking to save money on gas I don't think that this is the bike for you. First they don't get great mileage second you will love riding it so much you will be riding around just to ride around and blow all of your savings on burning out and rear tires. :rockon00: Welcome to the forum. Hope to see pics of your new max soon.

Welcome to the site. If you are looking for a reason to keep the Star, you better go to a Star forum. Just think, if you had a Max to ride to work, you may just want to get up and go. Good luck

Thanks everyone. I'll be working the phones today and hoping I can arrange a view and test ride later this week. The two I'm looking at are both 2007, 10k and 11k kilometers (hello from Canada), and both are $8k and come with a few extras.
I've outgrown the v-star for sure (it was a nice starter bike), but now it's time to get some power and window rattling pipes.
Does anyone have a 'noise snare' in their communities? It's basically like a photo radar trap that recognises sounds above the legal limit, takes a photo and automatically generates a $200 ticket to the registered owner. The limit here is 96 decibels.

When will they understand

sticker,375x360.png

Back