Looking for help

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

hammondland

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I have an '86 Vmax that I am finally gonna restore. A few months ago I purchased every part NEW for the transmission listed for the transmission and I mean every part. I live in SoCal and now I am looking for a good gear man that can put it all together who specializes in Vmax's. Does anyone have someone they would recommend for me to go in SoCal?

one2dmax

Reaction score
I can help but you didn't spend the money wisely. New gears don't address the mating issues that you have from production parts. I would still suggest an undercut to resolve that and give a solid trans that will shift smoother then a stock one ever could. This is not to say the new gears won't work but you just missed out on what you could have had (the undercut price is the same whether the gears are new or used).

hammondland

Reaction score
well I got he the whole trans brand new because I wanted it fresh with no abuse, virgin to me. Ive heard about undercutting and the importance of it to make the trans work properly. I can only imagine what freight would cost to get the engine shipped to you Sean! LOL
I guess search continues to find someone here in SoCal. Thanks guys

mabdcmb@yahoo.com

Reaction score
well I got he the whole trans brand new because I wanted it fresh with no abuse, virgin to me. Ive heard about undercutting and the importance of it to make the trans work properly. I can only imagine what freight would cost to get the engine shipped to you Sean! LOL
I guess search continues to find someone here in SoCal. Thanks guys
Open up the engine and pull the transmission yourself. Remove transmission and ship. Check this link. Its for a venture but the process on a vmax is nearly identical.
https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?508-Second-Gear-Repair

one2dmax

Reaction score
The trans work isn't all that bad. Shipped is about $200 each way so not too rude but I am sure you can handle it. The worst part is cleaning up the old gasket material.

one2dmax

Reaction score
There is such a thing as "seasoning" when you talk performance OEM parts. That usually means whatever weak components, if any, would have shown up. Starting with 100% new parts and you could potentially have one of the rare bad parts (very rare). On the transmissions the OEM undercut simply was done for economy and speed of production.

hammondland

Reaction score
Hey Sean, sorry for the late reply! Ok, now that I know the approximate shipping cost how much is your service for undercutting the gears?

Latest posts