Looking to chain drive my MadMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
I have a MadMax 250 swingarm currently shaft driven and would like to convert to chain, anyone know of a conversion kit to do this? Let me know, Thanks, Ed

doesn't madmax offer them?

PCW would as well.

You could sell the shaft drive setup and convert to chain easily enough. Mad Max, PCW, and probably even we could help you. It will require removing the engine and taking it apart to do the machine work (for the conventional conversion). We are going to be starting my conversion for a 300-330 chain drive after the first of the year. Will not require machining of the cased but will still require taking it partially apart.

I've got the big 1500 chaindrive motor we still want to sell. I even have a chain drive arm and modified tank here somewhere. BUT, it won't be nearly as large a tire.

Sean

To be honest, I know MadMax makes the conversion but he already hit me hard enough once. But I Love the 250 tire I just want assurance that when I jam this bike hard i'm not gonna be sitting on the side of the road.

To be honest, I know MadMax makes the conversion but he already hit me hard enough once. But I Love the 250 tire I just want assurance that when I jam this bike hard i'm not gonna be sitting on the side of the road.

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:I know what you mean I had a MADMAX chain drive done back in 98 and YES ONCE WAS ENOUGH. I think PCW has a better set up and more stright forward pricing. Im not familiar with Mr morleys but Im sure its quality stuff.

More torque right to the wheel = harder to keep traction!

I have a MadMax 250 swingarm currently shaft driven and would like to convert to chain, anyone know of a conversion kit to do this? Let me know, Thanks, Ed

:punk: Hey, the cheapest way is buy one already converted to chain drive. Saw a nice one on Craigslist for about 5K. You can't do the work for that. Good Luck, Spurs

I'm just really set on these Wheels and the 250 tire. It looks good and isn't too wide to ruin the handling. If you take it on a road with ruts the big tire wants to follow the contour of the road. Worse at low speed but that's something I can live with because when you point and launch it that back tire makes Mr. Max want to pull right out from underneath you. Especially with my forward controls you better be hanging on tight and leaning forward. I don't know how many times after cranking first I'm reaching desperatly to shift into second. But Hell that's half the fun.

:punk: Hey, the cheapest way is buy one already converted to chain drive. Saw a nice one on Craigslist for about 5K. You can't do the work for that. Good Luck, Spurs

Yea if the swingarm was my only mod I'd agree but I've got a ton of chrome and other things done to this one. Way too much too start over with another bike. My next bike will be a gen 2 now that's something I've considered. Sell mine and start over with one of those. I'm sure I could sell mine and do that but I have alot of time and money in this one. And I'm really proud of it ask anyone who's seen it. It just wouldnt stand out like mine does unless I put a ton into it. I had someone wanna trade a gen 2 for mine but I could buy 2 used gen 2's for what's in mine.

Yea if the swingarm was my only mod I'd agree but I've got a ton of chrome and other things done to this one. Way too much too start over with another bike. My next bike will be a gen 2 now that's something I've considered. Sell mine and start over with one of those. I'm sure I could sell mine and do that but I have alot of time and money in this one. And I'm really proud of it ask anyone who's seen it. It just wouldnt stand out like mine does unless I put a ton into it. I had someone wanna trade a gen 2 for mine but I could buy 2 used gen 2's for what's in mine.

your better off keeping yours Ed unless you want to lose a lot of money...
besides you have an incredible bike that im sure your very proud of and it turns heads everywhere you go.

:ummm: Hey CustomMax, you can swap all you chrome/painted parts over to the new bike. I would guess you can buy a Generation 2 for what you are going to have in the chain conversion. I know it looks like it can be done cheaper but I'm sure it can't. But Good Luck, Spurs

your better off keeping yours Ed unless you want to lose a lot of money...
besides you have an incredible bike that im sure your very proud of and it turns heads everywhere you go.

Hi Bill, yea your probably right, those guys obviously never saw my bike and I see their point IF my swingarm was my only mod but between my chrome, wheels, paint and flatsides I just can't imagine scrapping the bike just for one that's converted to chain drive. You know when I finished the bike in Jan I thought I was done but I think I'll never be completely done, I have things planned for this winter that should really put it over the top. But I'll keep you posted. And if you ever want to get together give me a call and we can hang out and bounce ideas off each other. If you ever need a hand with anything I'm just a few miles away and I know sometimes you need 2 people to move these monsters around. Oh yea, one more thing Bill, thanks for requesting a Bling award for my bike but for some reason never got. I even tried to get ahold of the admin for awards but I messed up and I guess nominated myself for it. Lol that's not what I was trying to do I was just trying to find out how many votes were needed to get it but now I look like an idiot trying to nominate myself. :confused2: Thanks Again Bill, stay in touch, Ed

:ummm: Hey CustomMax, you can swap all you chrome/painted parts over to the new bike. I would guess you can buy a Generation 2 for what you are going to have in the chain conversion. I know it looks like it can be done cheaper but I'm sure it can't. But Good Luck, Spurs

Thanks Spurs, you have some valid points for sure, I'm just trying to weigh out my options at this point. I'm sure there's times you've got frustrated with your Max as well but no matter how pissed I get I still love her ( just like one of my kids) thanks again for the input. Ed

Last edited:
I have a chain drive adapter that I am pretty sure you can use with your current wheel (at least it works with a stock wheel).

Sean

Well you already know to stay away from MADMAX.
I had a chain-drive from PCW, 1517 supercharged and had no issue with the conversion.
But if your going to split the cases might as well go all the way, 1500, cams, heads, flat-slides. . .

IMHO

Hi Bill, yea your probably right, those guys obviously never saw my bike and I see their point IF my swingarm was my only mod but between my chrome, wheels, paint and flatsides I just can't imagine scrapping the bike just for one that's converted to chain drive. You know when I finished the bike in Jan I thought I was done but I think I'll never be completely done, I have things planned for this winter that should really put it over the top. But I'll keep you posted. And if you ever want to get together give me a call and we can hang out and bounce ideas off each other. If you ever need a hand with anything I'm just a few miles away and I know sometimes you need 2 people to move these monsters around. Oh yea, one more thing Bill, thanks for requesting a Bling award for my bike but for some reason never got. I even tried to get ahold of the admin for awards but I messed up and I guess nominated myself for it. Lol that's not what I was trying to do I was just trying to find out how many votes were needed to get it but now I look like an idiot trying to nominate myself. :confused2: Thanks Again Bill, stay in touch, Ed

Yea i dont know why you didnt get that award? anyway thanks for offering me help if i need it, same goes to you if i can be of assitance. I had to get a new phone Ed and lost a few numbers and yours was one of them. can you p.m. me your number again or text me if you still have mine?
Thanks,
Bill

Latest posts

Back