Loose at the exhaust pipe gaskets...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPure

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've got an 85 with 28k and Kerker 4-2. Lately it's been making some odd noises that I've narrowed down to exhaust leaks. I bought new gaskets that go to the heads, but they seemed fine once I started disassembly. I did find that the rear pipes are very loose where they're clamped together right behind the exhaust joint. Are these supposed to be this way? Should I be able to move the pipe in and out about 1/16" to an 1/8" ? As far as I can tell, all the parts that are supposed to be there, are. I've put a link to Ron Ayers microfiche for reference below. Is #5 supposed to be like a steel 0-ring sorta?
Thanks for any help I can get,
Dale

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...l/VMX1200A_V-MAX/GroupID/349634/Group/EXHAUST_

Yes, the #5 part is a steel o-ring shaped "gasket" that does wear out and can cause rattling sounds and looseness as you noted. They are just on the rear pipes only.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I guess I'll get some new ones and see what it does. BTW, I looked for an update on your Venture 1300 bottom end project and couldn't find anything. Anything new other than you think something got "hurt" on the dyno pulls?

Dale

The 1300 we built with experimental porting runs and drives well actually. The jetting is far different then other engines we normally build. It still runs strong but nothing just obliteratingly fast. I would imagine that a larger cam set might actually wake it up. Either way that engine is for sale and can be yanked out anytime out of the test chassis. I may take it to the drags on the 15th and see what kind of times I can get out of it.

Sean

Back