Low Backrest for Gen I

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Redlne

Reaction score
Anybody know of a maufacturer of a low backrest for the Gen 1?

I really don't like the tall "syssy bar" look of the OEM Gen 1 rest but could tolerate something similar to the one they make for the Gen 2

2s3-f84u0-s0-00-250.jpg

Anybody know of a maufacturer of a low backrest for the Gen 1?

I really don't like the tall "syssy bar" look of the OEM Gen 1 rest but could tolerate something similar to the one they make for the Gen 2

2s3-f84u0-s0-00-250.jpg

check out renntec...

Attachments

• 2010-02-14 19.28.32.jpg
    2010-02-14 19.28.32.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 240
Virago grab rail. Need sissybar lower pieces to do that though.

I HATE the looks of my OEM sissybar. But it comes in handy pretty often.

Plus it keeps wifey from going overboard. You can look at that one two different ways :biglaugh:

Virago grab rail. Need sissybar lower pieces to do that though.

I HATE the looks of my OEM sissybar. But it comes in handy pretty often.

Plus it keeps wifey from going overboard. You can look at that one two different ways :biglaugh:

It does have a lower look, I went back to the OEM Backrest, Wife prefers the higher support.

009.jpg

006.jpg

I looked at both the Renntec and the Virago grab rails and I might be picky but I don't really like the looks of either one.

I really just want a low pad to keep my girl from sliding off the back (or at least make her feel like she will not slide off the back) without radically changing the lines of the bike.

Thats what I was referring to. Przemek's pics of the virago rail with the pad on it. Looked sleek and functional. Nice Job on that!

I added the stock backrest pad to the Virago bar....not perfect, but l like better than the "sissy" bar and the plain Virago bar.
sledandbike013.jpg

^ I might have said this before when you posted this pic of your bike, but that thing look so bad azz for some reason! So smooth and tastefully done.....

I might have said this before when you posted this pic of your bike, but that thing look so bad azz for some reason! So smooth and tastefully done.....

Thanks...I think Yamaha did a great job with the looks of a 97'

I would however love to have a backrest like the new VMax has. It is very hard to make something fit the Gen1 lines in the rear.

On another note, I lived in Muskegon back in the late 70's. My Dad worked for S.D. Warren, he was transferred out there to startup a new "Winder Room" piece of equipment. I went to Norton Shores schools and Mona Shores HS.....good times.

I have the HAC back rest, I rarely use it but I like it because it's small and easy on and off...
We had this same conversation last time I posted on your pic :rofl_200:. We live in Roosevelt park, our son goes to Mona Shores middle school and my wife graduated from MSHS.

Thanks...I think Yamaha did a great job with the looks of a 97'

I would however love to have a backrest like the new VMax has. It is very hard to make something fit the Gen1 lines in the rear.

On another note, I lived in Muskegon back in the late 70's. My Dad worked for S.D. Warren, he was transferred out there to startup a new "Winder Room" piece of equipment. I went to Norton Shores schools and Mona Shores HS.....good times.

Yes, I also like the blended look, clean, functional, & integrated. I might try to dig-up one of those Virago pieces, what year & model is it from?

I'm another SW MI guy, "2fear" knows this, from the late 1960's, lived between K'zoo & Battle Creek, 1/2-way between Chicago & Detroit. M-89 & M-43...great curvy roads w/elevation changes. When I moved to MI, going west from Detroit Airport in Taylor, I saw a guy wearing his helmet strapped to his knee, a loophole allowed the riders who dared-to, not to have their helmet on their heads because the state statute didn't specify it had to be worn on the head.

We had this same conversation last time I posted on your pic
rofl_200.gif

Damn...I am old!

I would have gone with the HAC if the bike had not come with the OEM backrest.

MikeTD3, could you post some pics of the backside of your backrest? I'd like to see how you mounted the pad to the virago bar. I have one of the virago bars that I've been thinking about putting on and would love to go with the set up you have. Thanks.

MikeTD3, could you post some pics of the backside of your backrest? I'd like to see how you mounted the pad to the virago bar. I have one of the virago bars that I've been thinking about putting on and would love to go with the set up you have. Thanks.

I will try to get aome pics tonight.

98Redline......please let me know if this is considered a thread hijack and I will IM or start another thread.

Thats what I was referring to. Przemek's pics of the virago rail with the pad on it. Looked sleek and functional. Nice Job on that!

Thx.

I can also tell you that I bulid that pad with the stuff I found around the house LOL
Im a chep ass here haha

Im hearing that question very often: how much did you spend on your bike?
Any they are always suprised!

I looked at both the Renntec and the Virago grab rails and I might be picky but I don't really like the looks of either one.

I really just want a low pad to keep my girl from sliding off the back (or at least make her feel like she will not slide off the back) without radically changing the lines of the bike.

what about this?

Attachments

• bensissy.jpg
    bensissy.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 197
Garrett....that is probably the closest to what I am looking for.

I would say that my "optimum" bar would probably end right where the bottom screws of your pad are.

I guess it is really more of an ass slide stop as opposed to a backrest.

Back