low oil pressure fix, need some part numbers please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot about the potential low oil pressure associated with that 'o' ring pushing out the siphon in the fuel pump. I've heard two stories on this:

The first is that this is a result of not letting the bike warm up enought before riding it hard

The other thing I heard was that this occurs when the foam block that supports the siphon gets old, it shrinks causing the siphon to drop allowing the 'o' ring to pop out.

Is it caused by one or both of these things? And how concerned should I be with a 2002?

What parts are needed for this job? Are the oem parts sufficient? Or should I look to the aftermarket? Thanks very much.

Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot about the potential low oil pressure associated with that 'o' ring pushing out the siphon in the fuel pump. I've heard two stories on this:

The first is that this is a result of not letting the bike warm up enought before riding it hard

The other thing I heard was that this occurs when the foam block that supports the siphon gets old, it shrinks causing the siphon to drop allowing the 'o' ring to pop out.

Is it caused by one or both of these things? And how concerned should I be with a 2002?

What parts are needed for this job? Are the oem parts sufficient? Or should I look to the aftermarket? Thanks very much.

Both reasons for the O-ring pop are right on, warm up is very important. Cold the oil pressure will easily peg the gauge.
But, not every Vmax has an O-ring bulging out. How the bike was taken care of and ridden are more important than the year or miles. I'd suggest an oil pressure gauge first. Also remember that these engines don't have great oil pressure hot, at idle. I dropped the oil pan for a different reason at 23k and found the O-ring bulging out. I used an O-ring that was different (green and oblong), a new OEM popper stopper, did the oil pump overdrive pump kit for more volume and pressure, and bought a Coo. Oil pressure gauge. At idle hot I've got about 6-8 lbs. now. There are even more designs available to hold the plumbing tight. It's not something I would do if all was right. Sean had everything I needed. An inspection camera might be able to see the O-ring area from the drain plug or oil light sender port.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Hard to tell how the bike was taken care of in that regard. I haven't ridden the bike yet so I don't have much to offer in the way of feedback and nothing has happened that makes me suspect low oil pressure. No warning light when it's sitting idling in my garage but that doesn't count for much. Is there anywhere to screw in an oil pressure guage? Or any other indication that that ring has come out?

Great advice on how to proceed guys, thanks. I'll see if they can get an inpection camera in there
Thanks, Dave

There is a place to put an oil pressure gauge on the right side of the engine. The gauge and fittings aren't that much. And, you can leave it in place. The kit comes with directions.

The light doesn't operate on pressure. It is an oil level switch. If it comes on at idle, it's defective, or there is little oil in the motor.

You have a motor that has survived for ten years so I suspect that provided you let it get to operating temperature before giving it some welly it will happily go another ten years (at least!).

It will also have the later oil pick-up pipe with the longer neck so it is unlikely to present you with an issue.

IMHO much of the O ring furore is down to our own paranoia rather than it being a real issue - Maxii aren't know for blowing the engine due to lube failure...are they?

If you are concerned then fitting an oil pressure gauger is a whole lot easier than dropping the sump. Start there and only if the oil pressure seems low should you need to proceed further.

Thanks again guys. On everyone's advice I bought one of the gauges you guys recommended. Should hopefully be here this week.

What should I expect for 'normal' range or numbers. I've read 3-4 pounds at idle. What about during operation?
Thanks Dave

When fully warmed up on a hot day you will see near 0 at idle. Normal.

Dale #2592

Sorry I haven't updated this post yet. I've got the gauge installed. Unfortunately I think I'm getting ready to pull the pan. Oil pressure reads 60-80 lbs at start up. As the bike heats up(30 mins) the pressure falls to between 25 and 35 lbs during operation. Reads no pressure on the gauge at idle

I spend most of my time crusing at around 4-6 rpms. I tend not to check the gauge when I'm 'on' the throttle. Does this info warrant a pan pull?

Thanks again guys.
Dave

sounds about like mine.
When I start it (10w/30 oil) it will see 80 until it gets warm.
While riding normally It will fluctuate around 40. If I'm getting on it, 60+ has been seen.

At an idle, varies between 3-10 depending on oil temp.

Here is a shot of my bike warming up. temp low and the oil pressure just under 80.

instruments.jpg

You have a motor that has survived for ten years so I suspect that provided you let it get to operating temperature before giving it some welly it will happily go another ten years (at least!).

It will also have the later oil pick-up pipe with the longer neck so it is unlikely to present you with an issue.

IMHO much of the O ring furore is down to our own paranoia rather than it being a real issue - Maxii aren't know for blowing the engine due to lube failure...are they?

If you are concerned then fitting an oil pressure gauger is a whole lot easier than dropping the sump. Start there and only if the oil pressure seems low should you need to proceed further.

You are very wrong!, my bike has 77.000 miles & the engine seized due to the orange O-ring popping out & causing oil starvation!

at 24000 miles I got paranoid and had the dealer remove the pan and check the O-ring , everything was in great shape. what a stupid design Yamaha has for oil pluming. I always warmed the bike adequately, never was hard on it until it reached operating temps, used synthetic oil since birth/ bike was new.

Back