Low Voltage Readings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctshooter

Reaction score
Hi all once again. A strange problem has surfaced with my 95 max recently and I believe it is a regulator/rectifier issue but am not too confident with checking things out using the fault finder. Electrical has never been my cup of tea and I don't want to burn something out. :ummm: So can someone tell me a simple way maybe that I can check it? I have 3 white wires and one red coming out of it. Here is what I'm getting for readings off the battery terminals;

A) At 1000 rpm=12.67 volts
B) At 2500 rpm= 13.55 volts and my hi beam indicator flickers ever so slightly. Yes, high beam is on.
C) At 5000 rpm= 13.35 and the high beam indicator still flickers.
D) Turn signal on at idle and high beam indicator dims with with every flash of the blinker. Also, when at a stop with my blinker on sometimes it goes haywire and starts blinking fast until I bring the rpm up to 1800 or so.

Has anyone experienced these issues in the past?

Yeah, you're having charging issues. Follow the Electrosport Charging fault finding diagram listed in the VMF Links page.

You are getting 13.5 V so that "usually" points to dirty connections in the charging system. Cleaning up these areas can recover up to 1 V. Check the connection on the left side where the 3 wires from the stator join into the R/R. This is a common problem spot. Take it apart and clean it, and check for melted or burned areas. Also check to see if your R/R has a ground wire on it. I'm not sure what year that started. Post back what you have found.

I did the crimp fix a couple of years back, so thats set. I will try cleaning the ground wire connection point on the frame and the RR plug and see what that does tonight and will post results. Thanks!

Well, I cleaned the ground to the regulator, frame ground under the seat and all my battery connections, and plugs under the seat. I then lubricated the connections with dielectric grease, retested my readings and I am now getting 13.8 volts at 2500 rpm. My battery tested at full charge using a hydrometer. According to the fault chart, I should be ok. My blinker issue is still there. Even after cleaning all the bulb sockets and checking the connections. These blinkers are from Python Motorsports, they are minis. Wonder if that has something to do with it? I am going to plug my originals in and see if they do the same thing. Thanks for the advice!

Great!

I'm betting your stock signals will work fine. Mini blinkers seem to mess with the stock flasher relay...especially early model Vmaxes. Neil used a ELFR electronic relay. No need for resistors or diodes and works well with mini's or LED's.

Well, I cleaned the ground to the regulator, frame ground under the seat and all my battery connections, and plugs under the seat. I then lubricated the connections with dielectric grease, retested my readings and I am now getting 13.8 volts at 2500 rpm. My battery tested at full charge using a hydrometer. According to the fault chart, I should be ok. My blinker issue is still there. Even after cleaning all the bulb sockets and checking the connections. These blinkers are from Python Motorsports, they are minis. Wonder if that has something to do with it? I am going to plug my originals in and see if they do the same thing. Thanks for the advice!

13.8 is not too bad. Your only other step now is to eliminate all the factory plastic connectors and solder all the joints together. For the voltage you are getting now, I wouldn't, but it is another option.

Back