Major 09 and 10 Recall??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there goes the whole thing about having 'fly by wire' technology on motorcycles. I know it's the way it's all going forward, and I do kinda fancy the new Ducati MultiStrada, but come on, all bikes get old, and then what?

I heard brakes will be going the 'fly by wire' electrical way soon too, and I just dunno..

I mean, electronic management of fuel injection is obviously doing a better job than carbs on most vehicles, and the new Honda dual-clutch without a lever is already a reality, but when it comes to bikes' throttle and brakes, give me a mechanical link - cable or hydraulic - any day over the electronics.
I COULDN'T OF SAID IT BETTER MYSELF " NAUGHTYG" " ! .. :punk:

Anytime they create something new from the ground up, you'll have some snafu's along the way. This seems minor enough, and Yamaha has identified it, and are in the process of rectifying the problem..

Some people fail to see the due dilligence Yamaha has always been famous for, but some of us never doubted them. They've stood behind everything on mine so far, and that says a LOT! I don't know of any other bike manufacturer that would have been so accomodating.. I certainly have no regrets.. :)

I agree that Yamaha have always been pretty good like that. Other than replacing all Gen I Vmax frames, swingarms and wheels, of course. LOL

I still worry about what all these electronic fly-by-wire systems will be like when the bikes get 10 years and older..

I agree that Yamaha have always been pretty good like that. Other than replacing all Gen I Vmax frames, swingarms and wheels, of course. LOL

I still worry about what all these electronic fly-by-wire systems will be like when the bikes get 10 years and older..

True, it will be interesting to see the longevity of these systems. Hasn't Tim already taken his out and replaced it with a mechanical one? :ummm:

True, it will be interesting to see the longevity of these systems. Hasn't Tim already taken his out and replaced it with a mechanical one? :ummm:

Nope. I have not needed to yet. I do not know of anyone that has. The FI system on the bike is pretty decent. I am the first one to have the ability to do it with no errors via a ECU reflash. Anyone wants to try something new, I'll help.

Tim Nash

ok i'am getting ready to do my first recall on the 09 vmax got two to do! simple fix, have to remove everything down to the throttle body's then route a new harness to the aps and to the tps sensor, then remove the old harness pins from the ecu and put the new harness pins in and cut the old apc and tps connectors off and tape up done!
gary

Last edited:
Nope. I have not needed to yet. I do not know of anyone that has. The FI system on the bike is pretty decent. I am the first one to have the ability to do it with no errors via a ECU reflash. Anyone wants to try something new, I'll help.

Tim Nash

I was referring to the fly by wire throttle. I thought some were complaining about the response of it and talking about replacing it with an actual mechanical cable.

I believe this was a concern and Tim discovered that there indeed was a delay for one reason or another. I watched a video of Tim's where he corrected this issue. I had to watch it over and over before I had a better understanding of what the problem was vs the fix.
Here is a link to Tim's video's on the modifying the YCCT system.

I was referring to the fly by wire throttle. I thought some were complaining about the response of it and talking about replacing it with an actual mechanical cable.

You are right. There was some complaints about it and I tried several things to get rid of it. A mechanical cable was one idea I entertained, but the throttle body linkage on the GenII is all gear drive for the servo system. It would be hard to remove and replace. I then started looking at a way to electronically bypass it. This guy posted the video:

I believe this was a concern and Tim discovered that there indeed was a delay for one reason or another. I watched a video of Tim's where he corrected this issue. I had to watch it over and over before I had a better understanding of what the problem was vs the fix.
Here is a link to Tim's video's on the modifying the YCCT system.

It's odd this came up. I was specifically working on the YCC-T tables of the ECU reflash software yesterday. The old method in the video was pretty slick to watch it work, but it's old news. If I get a chance, I will try to bring you up to speed and record a new one today of what I can do with the YCC-T now. It's has been a VERY long road to get to this point. :th_k050:

Tim Nash
GuruedGear.com

Last edited:
Back