Major 09 and 10 Recall??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxguru

Reaction score
Anyone else hear about Yamaha halting the sales and recalling all 09 and 10 year model V-Maxes? I heard they are recalling them due to wiring issues that cause the bike to rev or die at idle.

T. Nash

My son is a salesman at a local dealership,he said he hasnt heard anything....yet!

Only Vmax recall I've heard so far is the FJR1300 for an ignition upgrade (they will die unexpectedly) and thier Vmax outboards a few years ago.

Hey Vmaxguru, where'd you hear this? You have a link?

Elimax

Not mine but a quote from another Vmax site...

"09 Service recall on certain vin's for throttle and idle or wire problems...My vin is one of them anyone else heard this yet? talked with service and star has not released a fix as of yet..it effects idle staying at 3000 rpms and vin's 0013 thru the 0600's."

THE BULLITEN READS AS FOLLOWS:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2009 VMAX (VMX17Y/YC) model motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, improper resistance in wiring could cause unstable engine idle speed and/or keep idle speed from falling below about 3000 rpm when the throttle is released, preventing a proper return to idle that could result in an accident with injury or death.

A Technical Bulletin with all necessary information will be provided in the near future.

Until then, please suspend sale of any new VMAX motorcycle in the following affected ranges:

VMX17Y
VP29E-0000013-0000611

VMX17YC
VP29Y-0000033-0000132

As with all safety recall campaigns, Yamaha will be notifying all registered owners of affected units by mail.

I was close! ; )

Not bad for knowing it before most dealers did!

This may explain the crazy stuff I have found with the Power Commanders reading the TPS.

Tim

Good call guru, any other insight! maybe what color the 2011's gonna be?

blue,cause Thats the color I am ,for not having one ............yet!

If the price goes up again, it may as well be Gold or Titanium.:bang head:

Talk about threadjacking... from safety recall to the next color bet!? :ummm::biglaugh:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 11.42.54 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-20 at 11.42.54 PM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 15
maybe drop the price of the 09's kicking around in the shop by my place..... worth a try

If Yamaha follows suit with the Gen I, the color will be invisible. There wasn't many third year Gen I's (1987) shipped to the US. With the current level of Gen II's sitting on the showroom floor at dealerships now, they may skip the 2011 model too. My vote would be a metallic electric coffee purple I saw on a ZZ Top Caddy. If I hear any rumors, I will post them.

Tim Nash

Last edited:
Re:09' wire harness recall Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
............................................YAMAHA / VMX17 2009

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: JUL 16, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V327000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 700
Summary:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 VMX17 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 2008 THROUGH MARCH 2009. THERE COULD BE EXCESSIVE ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE IN THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE ACCELERATOR POSITION SENSOR (APS) AND THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) DUE TO AN INSUFFICIENTLY CRIMPED CONNECTION.
Consequence:
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE CAN CAUSE INCORRECT SIGNALS TO BE SENT TO THE ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (ECU) WHICH COULD LEAD TO UNSTABLE IDLE SPEED. IMPROPER IDLE SPEED CAN RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JULY 28, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
YAMAHA / VMX17 2009
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: JUL 16, 2010
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V327000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 700
Summary:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 VMX17 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 2008 THROUGH MARCH 2009. THERE COULD BE EXCESSIVE ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE IN THE GROUND WIRE FROM THE ACCELERATOR POSITION SENSOR (APS) AND THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) DUE TO AN INSUFFICIENTLY CRIMPED CONNECTION.
Consequence:
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE CAN CAUSE INCORRECT SIGNALS TO BE SENT TO THE ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (ECU) WHICH COULD LEAD TO UNSTABLE IDLE SPEED. IMPROPER IDLE SPEED CAN RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JULY 28, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Summary:

And there goes the whole thing about having 'fly by wire' technology on motorcycles. I know it's the way it's all going forward, and I do kinda fancy the new Ducati MultiStrada, but come on, all bikes get old, and then what?

I heard brakes will be going the 'fly by wire' electrical way soon too, and I just dunno..

I mean, electronic management of fuel injection is obviously doing a better job than carbs on most vehicles, and the new Honda dual-clutch without a lever is already a reality, but when it comes to bikes' throttle and brakes, give me a mechanical link - cable or hydraulic - any day over the electronics.

Back