Man this thing is awesome!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkDynamite

Reaction score
Hello All. This is my first post but I've lurked around for a few months. On Monday i became the proud new owner of a 1998 VMax. Drove 8 hours round trip to get it. Only 20,000 miles on it and cosmetically in great shape.
I've been riding a 1987 Honda VF700C Super Magna for the last 3 years. The Honda was my first bike and only purchased because i was advised by several coworkers that a VMax was not first bike material. I've lusted after one for years.
Mechanically everything seems ok on the Max. When i purchased it all the hydraulics were flat; fluid was disgusting. Thankfully with a through bleeding they all came back. The gallon of gas was old and i can see a little rust in the tank but ran on the old gas fine. Topped of the tank with 93 and some seafoam and took rode for about 10 miles. :clapping: I love it when i'm right... Perfect bike for me!
The plan is to continue going through the bike and take car of all service items. Final drive is being drained as I type this.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 144
  • image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2177 (1).jpg
    IMG_2177 (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 149
Welcome to the forum. Perfect bike for a lot of us. Mine with 12k on her needed the same attention. Vmax's, and all bikes for that matter, need to be ridden and maintained. Enjoy.
Steve-o

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can make it to the rally.

I just pulled the spark plugs. They are oil fouled pretty bad. Piston rings or valve guides I guess. Hopefully putting a few hundred miles on it will help "reseat" the rings. The install plugs were the same ngk p/n minus the resistor. I put resistor plugs in per my clymer manual. Does anyone run non resistor plugs? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys use ngk iridiums. $10 a pop.
I have had good luck with the stock ngk and i'm sure most guys on here do too.
I would not go non resistor with a Vmax as it has a tricky and touchy electrical system.
Welcome to the forum and nice find on the bike. Congrats.

Welcome and Stick with the Stock NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs, they seem to work best in our bike.

Last edited:
It's running much better with the new plugs. Thanks for all the help.

With only 20,000 miles, the rings normaly shouldn't be bad. If it's been sitting a lot, the rings might be gummed. My Vmax that sat for 4 years had an alarming amount of gummy substance visible thru the intakes, on the valves. I would try running a strong dose of seafoam in the next few tanks and see how it runs out.

Congrats on your new ride and welcome!

Welcome.

As a relative newbie myself (bought mine back in August 2015), I can tell you that this forum is an amazing place - the members know their stuff and are quick to jump in and help.

VBoost.....

To my knowledge, resistor plugs are usually to stop ignition RF interference. Since we don't usually have radios, we don't really need the resistor plugs. If the plugs are the same price, and I bet they are, just run w/the factory resistor spec and fuhgeddabouit.

Ever get a 'buzz' through the set when operating the vaccum by the tv (tv must be on)? Or operate some motor-driven appliance next to a working radio, and get that buzzing? RF interference.

Congrats on your new ride and welcome!

Anyone else catch that I posted twice?

Hello, my name is Specs and I am a VmaxForum-aholic....

This is what happens when the weather causes VMax withdrawal!

Welcome bro if I was you and it has oem brake lines I would get a set of goodridge braided brake lines and ebc HH pads for the beast those oem lines are going to be spongy as well as clutch Line.

Hello, and Welcome.....When you get them going they certainly clear the cobwebs away and put a big grin on your face

Last edited:
Back