• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Many Items needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbx1260cc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I finally took the plunge and a 1986 model is now in my possession.

Price was right (couldn't afford a "perfect" runner) but she needs a LOT of TLC and new parts / pieces.

I've been told she has a John Sands 1500cc motor and megacycle cams (TBD).

Works shocks and a fork brace (can see those). Progressive springs in the forks.

Stainless line and new rear disc. Supertrapp Slip ons. BRACED swing arm.

BUT--she has had two tip overs and there are dents at ends of the Supertrapps, The shifter is bent, the pegs are rashed, the peg holders are bent, The front master cylinder has some road rash, the brake lever end is rashed, the case guards on both sides are rashed and deformed in shape. The return throttle cable is frayed. The tires were "born" in 2010 (metzlers) Do they even make them anymore?? Turn signals that have some rash. Turn signals at the moment do not work. Electrical issue or "relay" maybe?? Ideas / thoughts comments welcome please.

Although carbs were cleaned by previous owner the ol' gal is only running on two cylinders. Maybe some "gunk" slipped through and has gotten into the jets again TBD.

Goodiies included

An Earls aftermarket oil cooler which is a really nice custom built assembly.

EXTRA Full set of carbs

Corbin seat--recovered and modified.

OEM stock seat.

Bike needs a GOOD wash, clean and polish--not ready to display pix yet. :(

So at the moment I have a Max that needs a LOT OF LUV and I hope I didn't get into a money pit.

First order of business is a compression check by a local mechanic and see what he finds.

In the meantime would like to start buying a few needed items.

Prefer to buy from members to help put money in their pockets rather than salvage yards etc.

Looking for:

Right side OEM master cylinder

Throttle cables--BOTH--as close to new as possible.

Left AND Right side footpeg assemblies (brackets and complete peg assemblies--non rashed please)

Goodies included with bike.

An Earls aftermarket oil cooler. This is a really nice custom built assembly.

EXTRA Full set of carbs

Corbin seat--recovered and modified.

OEM stock seat.

Partial set of OEM Bodywork--air box cover, front and rear fender.

I'm open to any / all comments and will appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

Please PM me with any items you might be able to spare / part with. Let me know an asking price Shipped to Ga at 30542.

Thanks in advance to all

Rick

That sounds like it could be a great deal, if all is true (modded big-bore engine). However, the amount of road rash you have described is something that sounds like more-than a 'tip-over.'

Look at the fork stops (BOTTOM TRIPLE TREE), are they still there? In my experience, road rash on a master cylinder is usually a sign of an at-speed crash, as would seem to be indicated by the footpeg carrier damage, crash guard damage, and handlebar lever damage. You might want to have the frame checked at a Computrack. You are in-luck, one close to you.

Atlanta
106 South Ave.
FAIRMOUNT, GA 30139
Phone (706)337-4114

If the frame is seroiusly-tweaked, you may be better-off buying a used one instead of trying to fix multiple issues on yours, though Sean Morley said he's had some crash bikes that survived to be usable.

I would look at the gas tank closely, any rust in there, and you'll just be frustrated having to tear-down the carbs repeatedly, to clean the idle-speed jets. I suggest replacing the needle valves if you go-in there (carb cleaning) but until you either replace the tank or remove it and clean/seal it, I think your carb work will be useless, as the crap in the tank will just keep fouling the carbs.

These bikes will take tremendous crashes and have no ride-ability issues at all. If it's bent on the frame then usually every single other parts is toast as well. This doesn't sound like that situation.

I've likely got all the parts you need though may not be your least expensive option. Feel free to email me a wish list at [email protected]

Post up some pics too!

Urgent need.

REAR Caliper brake Bleed screws X 2 (mine rounded off by a previous owner)

and

Dust cover (mine is missing) Yamaha part # 1FK-25836-00-00

Want to bleed brakes after fluid flush and unable to do so because of above.

PLease PM me with what you might have and asking price .

Thank you

Dust cover isn't a big deal. You can get speed bleeders to replace the OEM ones. OR, just use vice grips for now and replace them when it's more convenient (I have OEM screws if needed and probably some used covers too). The covers aren't required for proper operation.

Back