Marks pipe mounting question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Redlne

Reaction score
Does Marks pipe use the block adapter and clamp band for the rear headers or can I remove this little piece.
I am trying to get the bike ready for the arrival of the exhaust.

header.jpg

While I am on the subject of exhausts, just how the heck do I shim the needles? I searched the forums pretty extensively but was never able to find a good procedure on it.

Is it as simple as removing the side covers on the carbs and adding the shim under the E clip on the needle?

:biglaugh:
Does Marks pipe use the block adapter and clamp band for the rear headers or can I remove this little piece.
I am trying to get the bike ready for the arrival of the exhaust.

header.jpg

Mark's doesn't use those adapters, remove them. New exhaust gaskets aren't a bad idea either.

While I am on the subject of exhausts, just how the heck do I shim the needles? I searched the forums pretty extensively but was never able to find a good procedure on it.

Is it as simple as removing the side covers on the carbs and adding the shim under the E clip on the needle?

That's it! Slide the plastic spacer off the needle, place the shim washer under the E clip, slide the spacer up snug and button it back up. Be careful that the little tit on the bottom of the plastic spacer fits into the tiny hole in the slide before tightening down the large screw.

IMO, it takes longer to mic up the Radio Shack washers than the actual shimming takes.

Edit* There's some info here altho I just use the cheap R/S washers and file off the stamping burrs. http://home.comcast.net/~onlyone12/carbs1.htm

shimkit.jpg

i can send you some washers if a radioshack isn't local too. PM me if you want. mine didn't have any burrs i think danny got a bad bag!

Dan, thanks for the info!

Can interrupt your "bad bag" <shivers just a little> discussion for just one more thing....

If I am not using the header adapters, how are the heat shields reattached? Does Mark provide bosses for the screws on the headers?

There were 3 heat shields that came off, 2 what appear to be mostly decorative ones on the headers (these have what looks like gear teeth in them) and then there is the large silver plate between the header and the fuel tank (this one seems like it might be important :ummm:)

(As an aside, 2 of the screws on the decorative heat shields were galled so badly I thought I was going to break off the bolt trying to get them out. Anything exhaust related will be getting a dose of anti-seize compound on reassembly)

gamorg02: Thanks for the offer on the washers. I am going to check my local RS and see of they have a bag. If I can't locate any, I will shoot you a PM.

OK, now back to your "bad bag" discussion already in progress.:biglaugh:

Okey dokey.

Thanks for the update.

BTW: I is unbelievable how heavy the stock exhaust is. That dual muffler, and cross connect assembly must weigh 35 lbs all by itself.

Dan, thanks for the info!

Can interrupt your "bad bag" <shivers just a little> discussion for just one more thing....

If I am not using the header adapters, how are the heat shields reattached? Does Mark provide bosses for the screws on the headers?

There were 3 heat shields that came off, 2 what appear to be mostly decorative ones on the headers (these have what looks like gear teeth in them) and then there is the large silver plate between the header and the fuel tank (this one seems like it might be important :ummm:)

(As an aside, 2 of the screws on the decorative heat shields were galled so badly I thought I was going to break off the bolt trying to get them out. Anything exhaust related will be getting a dose of anti-seize compound on reassembly)

gamorg02: Thanks for the offer on the washers. I am going to check my local RS and see of they have a bag. If I can't locate any, I will shoot you a PM.

OK, now back to your "bad bag" discussion already in progress.:biglaugh:

Sorry '98' kinda zoned out for a sec....as Mike said...lose the heat sheild with the Marks.

Think everybody took that 'bad bag' thing the wrong way....I was referring to the "Painted Lady," she used to hang out at the Lido Grill.......a horrible old bag!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200: :punk:

What size are the RS washers that you are using?

#8 or #6 sizes?

I figured I would get the washers before I start pulling the carbs apart.

honestly i don't know. there is a bag of like 100 or something and the ones that fit i used.

Back