May 2012 Cycle World

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
The March 2012 CW had an article on "50 Years of Speed. Guess who wasn't mentioned!

The May issue of CW just came, and this has been addressed. Check the "letters to the editor" on p. 28.

Also, in the online CW, I saw this, which may already have been mentioned:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/03/21/vmaxes-over-italy/

"Wimps need-not apply!" I think it would be hard to muscle those clip-ons unless you were in triple digits. Then I think it would make those speeds fun, w/o the electronic restrictor.

"I find it hard to believe you can write an entire article about motorcycles and excesses of speed and fail to mention one of the great icons of the day, the Yamaha V-Max. That's kind of like writing about famous Hollywood starlets and forgetting to mention Marilyn Monroe. Both the V-Max and Marilyn had their individual problems, but both have great lasting power in the minds of anyone who grew up in that time. Marilyn often doubted her own self-worth but that was never a problem with Mr. Max. Even today, a well-ridden V-Max can make a current performance leader work hard to stay in front, at least until speeds reach "suspension of your driving privileges" level."

:punk::clapping::worthy::thumbs up:

"I find it hard to believe you can write an entire article about motorcycles and excesses of speed and fail to mention one of the great icons of the day, the Yamaha V-Max.

No shit, that's a shocker. you would think that at least, one of the generations of Vmax would have made the list.

This is why I don't read Cycle World anymore and just get Motorcyclist instead.

Man! It looks like you couldn't slip a sheet of newspaper between that front wheel and the radiator. One little bump and you would punch a hole in your radiator.

Wicked looking bike none the less.

That's Roland Sands Hyper Modified Gen II. They featured 3 builders one of which you can see in the back ground of that one. I recognized Roland's immediately as its the best looking Gen II I've ever seen and it is not just a show piece. It's meant to ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkgWgEDbUU

Man! It looks like you couldn't slip a sheet of newspaper between that front wheel and the radiator. One little bump and you would punch a hole in your radiator.

Wicked looking bike none the less.

That's a bit of an illusion caused by the perspective of the photo. Different angle:

IMG_5736.jpg

It's definitely tight, but RS' bikes are general made to be ridden the Hell out of. It appears the radiator is recessed as it come from the factory to allow for some travel , and I'd bet the fork springs are pretty stiff compared to a stock bike.

Latest posts

Back