Metzeler ME888 Ultra Marathon

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer.....otherwise I was looking forward to a comparison write up from someone here...........

I don't see any reason someone can't use the 888 Ultra 170/80-15 Rear with a 880 Front (or ANY other similarly patterned Front for that matter).

I haven't run a Matched set front and rear in years (since they stopped making the Michelin Macadam 50's) and I've never had an issue.
I currently have a Shinko TM230 Rear and a BridgeStone Battlax BT-45V Front.
And I have a BridgeStone Exedra Max Rear in the Garage that I'm going to put on in the Spring.

not judging. to each his own. some won't mix mfrs, some will. some won't mix a mfr's lines, some will.some won't keep a front through two rears, some will. who's right? who's wrong?

btw i just popped on exedra maxes. i think you're gonna love it

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I don't see any reason someone can't use the 888 Ultra 170/80-15 Rear with a 880 Front (or ANY other similarly patterned Front for that matter).

I haven't run a Matched set front and rear in years (since they stopped making the Michelin Macadam 50's) and I've never had an issue.
I currently have a Shinko TM230 Rear and a BridgeStone Battlax BT-45V Front.
And I have a BridgeStone Exedra Max Rear in the Garage that I'm going to put on in the Spring.

I suppose that's true...at least as far as running the same manufacturer & simular product lines maybe........

don't know what width you went with, but the 170 rear is like an eighth to a quarter inch skinnier than the 170 avon venom that i had. i put a 110 up front. I've only put on 50 miles so far and maybe 'cause it's new rubber, but they are very very responsive and buttah smooth. they have a much more rounder profile than what I remember the metz and avons having, which probably explains the responsiveness. gonna take it easy for the next couple of days. one things for, will prolly never wrap my rims with avons again. hopefully i wont have to report on the exedras' wet road performance any time soon, but comparing my initial feel of the bridgestones with what I remember was my initial impression of the avons, i believe I will be raving about how much better they are than the avons.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

ultra milage... do I read, HARDER THAN THE LAST ONES? I hope not, I found the 880s were a great in the middle tire not too hard not too soft.

keep my hopes up metzler...

peace,
evan...

ultra milage... do I read, HARDER THAN THE LAST ONES? I hope not, I found the 880s were a great in the middle tire not too hard not too soft.

keep my hopes up metzler...

peace,
evan...
According to Metzelers Article, the New 888 Ultra isn't supposed to sacrifice Handling/Grip compared to the 880.
In order to achieve this result the Metzeler engineers focused completely on selecting the materials to be used and fine tuning every feature of the tyre: compound, structure, tread and profile. Therefore, the goal of increasing mileage did not effect the features which made its predecessor, the ME 880 Marathon, so famous: stability, agility, grip and excellent performance on wet roads.

We'll just have to wait for a few VMaxers to put them to the test to know if those claims are true.

Can't imagine getting 30-50% MORE mileage than the 880. I can't seem to wear my 880's out! Looks like the tread pattern is close to the 880, so I think they would be a good match if you ran them together.

good to know... I will reluctantly volunteer my summer, testing a new pair for the good and betterment of the forum. pm for address if anyone (or metzler) feels that I am worthy of a pair. lol

peace,
evan...

its a crap shoot when it comes to tires depends on what you want to do with your ride? if you tour and go on long trips then you want a high mileage tire, if you drag race then you want a cheap sticky tire, if you like hittin the twisties then you want a sticky tire.. I used to run full out race tire on the front of my old CBR929RR then whatever sport/race tire that was on sale i don't want the chance of loosing a front tire in a corner that I'm rolling hard into.. If the price was the same I'd run race DOT approved tires all the time...Back can slide a lil I can handle that but a front tire goes out your pretty much done... People have dif beliefs that you have to match tires and your not gunna talk em out of their train of thought on that see it all the time I just laugh and say ya your right and if you own a remington gun don't fire winchester ammo threw it either..

Latest posts

Back