mini speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears to be 1/4" too large.

Stock tach is 2" diameter face
The mini speedo is a 2 1/4" face.

would this fit into the instrument panel?
http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/vmax/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=controls

I'd like to replace the stock speedometer with a giant tach but at least need the odometer part of the mini speedometer to avoid fueling problems....

Anyone done this mod?
I have seen a post here where someone had fit a 2.25" into where the stock tach went. It looked pretty good, if I remember correctly they were doing exactly as you propose to do in mounting a tach in place of the stock speedometer. If I get time I'll try to find the post(I'm at work), might be in the user mods section if you want to look for yourself.

The water temp and tach holes are different sizes, the tach one is slightly larger. Also, the physical faces/mechanism are one piece for both, so to get rid of only one you'd have to either remove both the tach/water temp, or get creative with a dremel and find a way to cut the stock mechanism in half.

While a tach up top would be nice, a shift light gets the job done too. I set it a few hundred RPM below redline to account for reaction time in accelerating, think mine's set at 9200. It's stuck to the right side of the speedo.

Why Yamaha just didn't put both up top(like the Magna) is beyond me.

I have seen a post here where someone had fit a 2.25" into where the stock tach went. It looked pretty good, if I remember correctly they were doing exactly as you propose to do in mounting a tach in place of the stock speedometer. If I get time I'll try to find the post(I'm at work), might be in the user mods section if you want to look for yourself.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=9900&highlight=tach

That's pretty much what I'd like for a tach! If only the oil temp gauge had been an odometer...I'll dismantle the instrument panel this afternoon and see what can be done...

Back