Minimum rpm's

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
WHILE CRUISING AT 25 MPH, OR SAY 35 MPH FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME WHAT DOES EVERYONE KEEP THERE RPM'S AT OR ABOVE ? AT 35 MPH IN 5TH GEAR THE BIKE LUGS ! SO YOU HAVE TO BE IN FOURTH GEAR OR MAYBE EVEN 3RD GEAR THIS IS WHY I'M ASKING ! THERES A LOT OF TRAFFIC HERE AT THE JERSEY SHORE , AND ITS SLOW MOVING SOMETIMES FOR MILES & IF I LET THE BIKE LUG IT GET'S LOADED-UP & SPIT'S BACK , UNTILL I CLEAR IT OUT ! SO I'M JUST WONDERING WHAT IS THE MINIMUM EVERYONE ELSE KEEPS THERE RPM'S AT, GOING SLOW , 25-35 MPH'S FOR 5 MILES STEADY ? :ummm::confused2:

WHILE CRUISING AT 25 MPH, OR SAY 35 MPH FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME WHAT DOES EVERYONE KEEP THERE RPM'S AT OR ABOVE ? AT 35 MPH IN 5TH GEAR THE BIKE LUGS ! SO YOU HAVE TO BE IN FOURTH GEAR OR MAYBE EVEN 3RD GEAR THIS IS WHY I'M ASKING ! THERES A LOT OF TRAFFIC HERE AT THE JERSEY SHORE , AND ITS SLOW MOVING SOMETIMES FOR MILES & IF I LET THE BIKE LUG IT GET'S LOADED-UP & SPIT'S BACK , UNTILL I CLEAR IT OUT ! SO I'M JUST WONDERING WHAT IS THE MINIMUM EVERYONE ELSE KEEPS THERE RPM'S AT, GOING SLOW , 25-35 MPH'S FOR 5 MILES STEADY ? :ummm::confused2:

I would say minimum of 3000 rpm in any gear

Mike

Ditto with 1/4 Horse. If I unplug vboost to open then I can pull down to 1500 rpms. In stock trim with stock air box, carbs and headers it was 1500 rpms.

Same here, 2800-3000. 35 mph I would be in 4th if the road was level, and 3rd if there was any incline. I don't like lugging it down at all.

dan

Likewise here, 3000 r's is good. If I ever have to wait for more than 3-4 cars pulling onto the main road it is considered a traffic jam around here. Most intersections just have stop signs, we don't even have a traffic light in our town. Never even have to put my feet down normally at stop signs. (LOL!)

Last edited:
WOW , OUT OF THE THOUSANDS ON THIS FORUM , ONLY 7 GUY'S CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION ? :confused2:

I try not to cruise below 3800 RPMS on level ground. When I am on roads that arent level I never go below 4K. I feel its better to keep the R's up rather than lug it and put extra strain on the crank.

IMO.

THATS GOTTA BE WHY MINE SPITS BACK THROUGH THE CARBS. GOING SLOW ONCE IN A WHILE , I'LL CRUISE AT 1500-2000 RPMS, IT MUST LOAD UP , CAUSING IT TO SPIT BACK ! WHATS EVERYONE THINK ? I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT EVERYONE CRUISE'S AT SUCH HIGH RPM'S , BUT THESE DOWN DRAFT CARBS ARE LIKE DIGGING UP DINOSAUR'S ! :rofl_200:

THATS GOTTA BE WHY MINE SPITS BACK THROUGH THE CARBS. GOING SLOW ONCE IN A WHILE , I'LL CRUISE AT 1500-2000 RPMS, IT MUST LOAD UP , CAUSING IT TO SPIT BACK ! WHATS EVERYONE THINK ? I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT EVERYONE CRUISE'S AT SUCH HIGH RPM'S , BUT THESE DOWN DRAFT CARBS ARE LIKE DIGGING UP DINOSAUR'S ! :rofl_200:
Mine will run clean from around 1800 r's up, but I normally never let it get below 3000 r's just cruising around. I normally run at 4000 r's while just cruising.

I Cruise quietly in 4th going 35mph.

or 3rd going 35 in trafffic.

or 2nd going 35 ready for some fun...........

or 1st going 35 drunk............(just kidding)

I cruise at about 2500 at 35 , but 3000 would be a good median , I do 2500 to conserve fuel , lol

The general rule I've heard regarding this refers to manifold pressure vs. RPM. Don't let the MP go above the RPM. This means that at low RPM if you twist the throttle on a standard atmospheric day the manifold pressure is the same as ambient air pressure, that is 29.92 In/Hg. So you have to have to stay above 3000 RPM if you wank the throttle (2992 RPM).
This is to prevent knocking that occurs at high torque/low RPM conditions.
The above is used in aviation (gasoline engines, w/o turbo).
I would say this also applies to the Vmax (and all non-turbo gas engines), so in general, to prevent engine knocking I'm safe at all RPM above 3000 at any throttle setting.
Hope I made myself clear...:worthy:

I once used Sea Foam in my XS11 and it cleaned the intake ports spotless. Thought I would run the foam through the Max the other day. Injected the stuff into each carb.

Well, I then take it out for a ride and it is sputtering, coughing, sounding like it is out of synch or like it spit a rubber vacuum cap.... ran that way for awhile and then mostly back to normal.

Now I have that little pop in the carbs like you guys are talking about! Hmmm.....

The general rule I've heard regarding this refers to manifold pressure vs. RPM. Don't let the MP go above the RPM. This means that at low RPM if you twist the throttle on a standard atmospheric day the manifold pressure is the same as ambient air pressure, that is 29.92 In/Hg. So you have to have to stay above 3000 RPM if you wank the throttle (2992 RPM).
I would say this also applies to the Vmax (and all non-turbo gas engines), so in general, to prevent engine knocking I'm safe at all RPM above 3000 at any throttle setting.
ACTUALLY THAT MAKE'S A LOT OF SENCE ! EVEN WITH FUEL INJECTION UNDER A LOAD WHEN YOU FIRST HIT THE THROTTLE , THE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR GOES TO 5 VOLTS ( DEPENDING ON THE SYSTEM & THE REFERENCE VOLTS ) & AS THE RPM'S GO UP THE MAP VOLTS GO DOWN , LONG STORY SHORT , KEEP RPM'S NO LOWER THEN 3,000 ! BECAUSE WITH BIKE LUGGING , PRESSURE IN THE MANIFOLD IS THE SAME AS THE AMBIENT AIR PRESSURE , SO WHEN YOU TWIST THE THROTTLE THE RPM'S CAN'T INCREASE FAST ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THE AMOUNT OF FUEL & LACK OF AIR ENTERING MANIFOLD"S SO IT SPITS IT OUT ( LIKE A BAD DATE :rofl_200:) I KNOW A WORK IF WE TAKE A CAR WITH THROTTLE BODY FUEL INJECTION , HOOK-UP A TIMING LIGHT & WATCH THE SPRAY PATTERN OUT OF THE INJECTORS WITH CAR FLOORED & STANDING ON THE BRAKE YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE SOME MIST OF THE FUEL COMING UP OUT OF THE THROTTLE BODY ! MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID'NT THINK OF THAT ! :punk:

N/A diesel motors and car engines aren't this way though. :confused2:

yea, our bikes are so heavy that if your lugging it , its like pulling a trailer up a hill ! My answer to this thing is if you took my v-max engine & put it on a go cart , it would'nt spit back because even lugging it as soon as you hit the throttle it would take off & the rpm's would go to redline real quick ! Because it would be 350 lbs. Lighter ! Take a stick shift car or a diesel truck and let it lug , the diesel won't start taking off untill 1,600 rpm's when the turbo starts spoolling up & if it's a none turbo you have to down shift to get the rpm's up , same as the v-max , in a car go up a hill in 4th gear at 30 mph, & hold it floored , it may even slow down more by the top ! same thing as lugging the v-max !

Latest posts

Back