Mobile wireless routers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad bought iPads for him and mom and bought a wireless hub that supports 5 users from Verizon. They love it. Otherwise, some phone companies allow tethering off the cell phone. My wife has a US Cellular Black Berry and we tether our Mac via bluetooth off of it and US Cell doesn't charge to tether.

N is the bomb. Both my Macs have it and my new iPhone will have it and it makes a HUGE difference.

Chris

Chris, model number of the hub? Can you plug a USB modem into it?

Thanks for the response.

Chris, model number of the hub? Can you plug a USB modem into it?

Thanks for the response.

Under the technical details it says it is compatible with USB modems so your modem should plug in.

a palm pre cell phone can create its own hot spot if it has signal....

G and N are both capped at 54 mbps on the internet, however when transfering files over your network from computer to computer for example, an N can go up to 600 mbps.

you can argue that N is a stronger signal.. so with less interference would be faster.. and theyre only like 30 or 40 more bucks than a g now adays

I'd stay away from anything Netgear....we've had two different Netgear routers and both are inconsistent, randomly drop service requiring frequent resetting, and overall seem to have pretty crappy range. I bought the rollback special router at walmart, it was a $20 Belkin. Works like a charm, was on for 8 months continuously and never a hiccup of service. It is billed as a regular "g" router, but it seems to toss signal much farther than the Netgear router billed as "super plus extend-o range g" or something stupid. It also cost about 1/3 as much.

Like Matt said it won't make internet surfing any faster, but for an ad-hoc home network or media center deal it can help a lot.

i also recommend the cheapest belkin router at walmart, its all labeled ON the router.. the input is yellow and the outputs are gray. you plug it in and its working, you dont even have to run the disc, its just for setting your security features.

just plug it in and go... 30 bones

i also recommend the cheapest belkin router at walmart, its all labeled ON the router.. the input is yellow and the outputs are gray. you plug it in and its working, you dont even have to run the disc, its just for setting your security features.

just plug it in and go... 30 bones

Belkin is good. I sell this shit all day long, and I would recommend Belkin, Cisco, Linksys, or D-Link. Here is a link with tons of offerings for what you need.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resu...chscope=All&Mode=1&pCurrent=1&wclss=N25#Brand

I agree with Kozy, go for Belkin, D-link or Linksys.
Cisco is for professional use, but get one if you can afford it :)
As the Wireless N is the updated version and you start to see more and more devices compatible.
Personally I never did reach even 300Mbps with one of those, but it's giving a pretty good 54Mbps.

You won't see much differences between the different brands, they almost all do the same.
So go for one not too expensive with a good warranty and easy to use.

I'm an IT guy, but I love hassle free stuff lol

Back