Morgan or El Cheapo.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I'm dying for a Morgan Carbtune. Our birthdays are coming up (my 62nd, and the VMax's 27th), and If I can whip up a good shot of tears, my wife just may let me get one of them as a Birthday Present.... (I've got a brother who regularly sends me a $50 for a birthday gift, so that'll help). She even sees the sense in buying one, so maybe I won't need so many tears after all, just some quiet whining might do it.

As a cheapo alternative, I thought about scarfing up an old vacuum gauge from work, and making a manifold out of aquarium valves and hoses. I could attach to all 4 carbs, and open / close valves to measure vacuum in each cylinder. This way, I could just see if the needle on the one gauge stays consistent with all 4 carburetors.

Any ideas?

have you thought about DIYing a 4-cylinder manometer. just some tubing, plywood, and ATF (or some other safe fluid). this one is a bit much--the laws of physics still apply to something less fancy for like 5-10 bucks. you don't need those plastic cylinders like this guy has, just come clear tubing should suffice. shoot, sounds like you have the tubing already--maybe what you already have isn't long enough, though.

DIYmanometer.jpg

Hi Bill, I would strongly recommend the Morgan carb tune. I am also willing to sacrifice my VMAX to check and test the accuracy of your unit.:rofl_200:

Go to "Beemerboneyard.com" $109 for the Morgan Carbtune Pro-4. Got the case to keep it all good. With shipping $140. Thats what a shop would charge you for one visit/sync. Pays for itself instantly. And then you are the cool guy with the juice! Well worth the purchase. Dan

there's also the cheap ones on ebay with the ball bearings which do the 2-port compare. used one for years with good results.

+1 on the Morgan. Easy and fast. No Mercury to leak,suck into the motor, or inhale the vapor. Much easier to read than gauges.
Lew

I built my own, and used it. Mine was just 8mm id clear hose, with 2mm restrictors in the bottom of each tube.
It works, it's pretty cheap, but it isn't great.
I kinda want to make one more like Ninja posted. It definitely needs to be greater than 8mm ID hose. Needs more mass to work. How many would I build before I get it right though? :ummm:

I won't bother. It was good in an emergency, because it would take a couple of weeks for me to get one off Ebay at a reasonable price.
It does give you some idea. It was 100% better than trying it by ear. :bang head:
But it's never going to be a patch on a proper one.
Last time I used a proper old mercury one, and that was heaps better than home made. There is design problems you probably never even thought of!

Shed the tears mate, Tell her she's right, you need to have the tools to tune the bike yourself, so you can save her money on tune ups. :biglaugh:
Yeah. Do it!

Attachments

• 20120416_001.jpg
    20120416_001.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15
Back