Motor Noise Need Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1stang_guy

Reaction score
Hey Guys Im Have An 89vmax Completely Stock And When I Keep My Hand On The Throttle The Bike Sounds Good But When I Let Off Or Slow Down There Is A Gear, Humming Noise and i feel vibration. It Happens In All Gears Including Nuetral And When The Clutch Is Pulled In. It Only Makes The Noise While Moving Not Sitting Still.

The Last Thing I Did To The Bike Was Change The Oil And Diff Fluid About A Week Ago (300mile) But I Cant See How That Is Related. I Used 20-40 Yamalube And Regular 80-90 In The Diff.

The Noise Might Be Comming From The Front Of The Driveshaft.

Pls Help

B,

Sorry to here about your bike. Summer is going fast. If you need a garage to wrench in, bring it on over. I would be happy to help you out.....J

If I thought it was the u-joint or perhaps shaft related. Try unhooking it and then see if your still feeling the vibe as you tested it before. That should help you narrow it down I would think....:ummm:

I would suggest to inspect the rear diff pinion nut and the middle gear nut (holds the u-joint on).

Sean

hello n1stang , i had a 98 max and had the same kind of noise in the front of my driveshaft. took the driveshaft out and inspected it ,the u-joint in the yoke felt tight with no slop . since i had it out i decided to change the u-joint .when i pulled the caps off the u-joint , i saw the hardened suface of the main body of the u-joint was worn so bad that ridges were on the surface where the needle bearings ride.it was toast!. i am very glad to have decided to change the ujoint. i never would have thought the the u-joint was bad with no play in the driveline between the yoke and the shaft. if you have the drive line out and can afford it, change the u-joint . remember all the power of the max is running thru that little tiny u-joint. best to you . buckridge.

Are you talking about in the rear diff? If so they do make the gear sets but you are better off getting another rear end then trying to set new gears up. I think I even have a royal star rear diff around the shop if you wanted a 10% rpm drop.

Sean

n1stang_guy
Hello, I have the same problem with my 91 VMAX. I was driving on a country road and had to get hard on the brakes and down shift, then after that episode i had the same noise and symptoms as yours. So changing the rear end solved the problem hey? I am curently in Iraq so I will purchas a new one and a new drive shaft. Sence its the pumpkin I think I will look around for a chrome one.

Thanks for the info.

Kyle

wow dont just go and replace it! rip the pig off and look at the drive shaft. check the bolt going to the pinion shaft. sometimes they come loose and you only need to tighten it.

no need for driveshaft either. There are no chrome ones you can just buy. I do offer chroming for them but they aren't easy or cheap to do it.

Sean Morley

Latest posts

Back