MPG last tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
39 miles per gallon last tank, almost all highway at 70-90 mph.

Not bad for higher speed riding on the highway.

In town I ve been averaging 34-35 mpg.

Todd

My 85 gets it's best mpg right at that spot where V-boost first begins opening - 80mph - as long as you hold it rock steady.

My 85 gets it's best mpg right at that spot where V-boost first begins opening - 80mph - as long as you hold it rock steady.

I agree....best MPG is just shy of v-boost. On my venture drive bike, 6000RPM equated to around 105mph. I was shocked after nearly an entire tank at 95mph I had done 42mpg. I thought the gas light had broken since I was at 120 miles and still no light.

My '86 with Venture pumpkin used to get reserve light on at 105 miles - every tank. That was doing around 90mph up and down I4, with boosts up to 130ish when there was no traffic.

Measured mine at 31.6 yesterday. I have Stage 7 kit, constant V-boost and I'm not shy with the throttle.

Last tank I was able to squeeze 41 mpg out of the tank. Several 9k rpm bursts up through the first 3 gears but most of it was cruising @3000 rpm following Vtwin cruisers. I hav Marks 4 into 2, Morley Muscle jet kit, and Sean's overdrive 5th gear. 3000 r's in 5th I'm running right around 60-62 mph.

45.2mpg last tank. But...was riding with a group of about 20 other riders and never got into the vboost. Prob should have ridden a different bike, but it was her turn to come out of the garage... :)

How can you guys can be getting 40+ mpg when the max supposed to be 39mpg and average at 34mpg according to this site?

Due to stage 1 (I am guessing), the best I ever got was in the low 30s (highway-freeway most of it). I was always averaging around 78-82 miles before the reserve light came on riding normal in city which actually is just a tad below average according to info I dug up.

:(

How can you guys can be getting 40+ mpg when the max supposed to be 39mpg and average at 34mpg according to this site?

I wouldn't trust a site that states Max idles at 1800rpm and vboost comes on at 6500rpm - idle is is 1000 +-50rpm and vboost starts opening at 5750rpm and is fully open by 8000rpm.

Also, during the kind of abuse they must've given the boost during their roadtest, surely the consumption would've been on the high side!

Having said that, I filled my '86 to the brim every time, and never went past 108 miles on the trip meter before the res light came on - no matter how much granny-riding I did..

Having said that, I filled my '86 to the brim every time, and never went past 108 miles on the trip meter before the res light came on - no matter how much granny-riding I did..

this brings up something interesting that i recently ran across. i'm sure some, if not most, of you already know this. but for the past two years, what i thought was "to the brim" was really maybe a half gallon short of "actually to the brim". i'd stick in the dispenser nozzle and fill up until the nozzle cuts off, and then slowly trickle in more fuel until the level with the tank/spout seam, press in the cap, and snap in the seat thinking that this was all that the tank could take. i'd be a little set back when i hear folks saying that their fuel lights were lighting up 110ish miles, thinking that my carbs were silghtly rich and causing my low fuel indicator to light up at around 90ish miles. i'd spend time messing with the A/F mix chasing this down, but never getting what i was hoping for. i'd read a little more and conclude that perhaps my lack-luster mileage was a result of my V-Boost addiction, but never thoroughly convinced because I know I am far from having it as bad as some of y'all who were/are claiming 105-110ish miles per indicator illumination.

well just yesterday, i somehow found myself zoning out and watching the fuel in the tank. i noticed it descend below that tank/spout seam and instinctively squeezed in some more fuel to the seam, but saw the level drop below again. i did this about 4 or 5 more times, looking under the bike for a gas puddle and not finding what i suspected would have formed because of a leak or an overfill valve or whatever. like i said earlier i think i managed to trickle in another half (maybe a quarter) of a gallon more before the level stopped dropping if i, apparently, was patient enough to allow for air to escape the tank.

am i mad?:ummm:

42.1 mpg today. No vboost running though.....
highway? in-town? how long do you typically sit at a traffic light? do you have overdrive gearing? how are your carbs setup? what elevation are you running in? how did you calculate this? don't misunderstand my questions as a critique or coming from a skeptic--i just want to have the same kind of consumption if possible.

highway? in-town? how long do you typically sit at a traffic light? do you have overdrive gearing? how are your carbs setup? what elevation are you running in? how did you calculate this? don't misunderstand my questions as a critique or coming from a skeptic--i just want to have the same kind of consumption if possible.

Mostly secondary highway riding. 55 mph speed limits with several small towns with stoplights. We were running 65-70 mph in the 55 sections slowing to the 35 and 45 mph in the towns. We were on I 295 & I 95 for a short time and I did one 125 mph blast. Stop & go traffic for about 3 miles. I was riding with my dad and some friends who all ride Harley's. I filled up to the top of the neck and rode 85 miles and filled back up to the top of the neck at the same station. Took 2.02 gallons. 89 octane.

My setup is: Sea level
Morley Jet Kit
160 mains
stage 7 needles & springs (3rd from the blunt end)
stock PAJ 1 & 2
#40 pilot jets
All A/F screws are about 2.5 out
Kerker w/2.5 baffle
Stock gearing
Sporting my new Carr wheels and Morley swingarm kit too!!

My bike runs really good, like an EFI motor. Now it handles great as well!

Hope this helps,
Shane

well just yesterday, i somehow found myself zoning out and watching the fuel in the tank. i noticed it descend below that tank/spout seam and instinctively squeezed in some more fuel to the seam, but saw the level drop below again. i did this about 4 or 5 more times, looking under the bike for a gas puddle and not finding what i suspected would have formed because of a leak or an overfill valve or whatever. like i said earlier i think i managed to trickle in another half (maybe a quarter) of a gallon more before the level stopped dropping if i, apparently, was patient enough to allow for air to escape the tank.

am i mad?:ummm:

I don't think so. It's very true that filling up all the way can be tedious - I had that extension tube on my tank (to make it easy with the Corbin) and so I needed to keep squeezing small amounts of fuel and let it run down to get it 'full'. TBH most of the time I did that a few times and then gave up - I prolly could have kept going a bit longer with more patience!

Now I'm really looking forward to fit in this plastic Exactrep 21L tank (when I eventually get my bike here :damn angry::damn angry:)

I just got 127 when the read light came on, still have .08 gals to go!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back