My '93 Max's Runs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
V-MaxDyno.jpg

Stage 7 Kit
Stage 7 K&N's
Hindle 4 into 1
Kerker Carbon Fiber Can

That's about it as far as the HP mods go. How does it fair? To me it seems about 5-8 horse low, but I think I can gain some back with sync-ing the carbs and leaning it out a little.

I don't think you'll gain much....maybe a bit in the midrange where you are really rich. You mains are right where they need to be......a/f mixture you're shooting for is 12.75-13.25:1.

Mark

Thanks for the advise, I was shooting for about a 13:1 a/f ratio. For the most part it's at 11.5-12.5 but dips down to around 10.5:1 in the fattest part.

What are your thoughts about the Dyna 3000? I heard an advancer really wakes these bikes up, but I thought about just going with the Dyna?

Yeah, only thing I worry about is reliability of the unit. Kloker had to return his....problem with 2nd stage rev limiter and advance.

Mark

Do they make the old "advancers" for these bikes? Where your just taking the stator and bolting on the ring that just advances the whole thing? I used to think they were hoaky then, and now that I've done so much stuff with drag cars, that seems 10 times worse now. Your thoughts?

Sync'd the carbs, had slightly better weather, and re-dyno'd the bike last night. She lay'd down 122 and change to the tire, which made me happier than the 118 and change. I'll get the graph posted in a bit.

Do they make the old "advancers" for these bikes? Where your just taking the stator and bolting on the ring that just advances the whole thing? I used to think they were hoaky then, and now that I've done so much stuff with drag cars, that seems 10 times worse now. Your thoughts?

Just my thought but; assuming base timing is good advancing the entire curve by mechanically moving the pickups doesn't seem like such a great idea. Not saying i have4n't done it on a lot of cars though but that was when making some other change that called for base timing advance.

Congrats on the the Dyno numbers BTW 122's pretty dang good.

Rusty

Well the only reason I ask about the old style "advancers" is because there was a lot of negative talk about the Dyna 3000, and I was told by advancing the curve there was some power to be gained on our 'Max's. Is this not the case?

Thanks, not sure what these should dyno, but the guy running it thought it was pretty good.

Yep, there are advantage to advancing or "fooling" the ignition into thinking there is more vacuum than there really is. Read here:
http://vboost.users1.50megs.com/advance.htm

Advantage is mostly in the midrange when going rapidly from small throttle angles to WOT.

Mark

Yep, there are advantage to advancing or "fooling" the ignition into thinking there is more vacuum than there really is. Read here:
http://vboost.users1.50megs.com/advance.htm

Advantage is mostly in the midrange when going rapidly from small throttle angles to WOT.

Mark

That sounds like it's getting total timing sooner, where the Dyna is actually throwing more timing at it with a different curve?

It read total timing was 43 degrees, but that can't be the end all be all timing. Just curious if there were other ways to go about this than the "hit and miss" reliability of a Dyna 3000.

Here's the dyno sheet. It's a little fat, and I think I'm going to go down a size on the main jet over the winter while I have the bike apart. What do ya'all think?

VMaxDyno2.jpg

Hard to say since your a/f reading is read at mph instead of rpm level. Personally, I'd leave your main jet alone. You might be able to gain a bit of midrange torque by lowering the needle a tad. Your horsepower curve is very good.

Mark

Sorry to resurrect this one but any more opinions on the Dyna? Worth the cash? Dyno proven one way or the other? I'd like a bit more input as I may drop some $$$ on one here in a few days.

Thanks!

RR

I do sell them and the rev limiter works ok and they do have a few extra's they didn't used to have to trigger shift lights ect... They do not sell them for the 85-89's anymore so that may cramp your style.

Sean

Back