My eyes hurt from looking at this 'Ducati'

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
1680564245486.png

Builder: Steve Tesini, Thunder & Lightning
Engine: 1999 996cc Ducati twin
Gearbox: Stock 6-speed
Frame: Daytec Modifications: Custom steering head, 8-degree rake, lengthened rear dog legs, lengthened backbone, custom mono-shock mounts
Chroming: Atlantic plating, fort Lauderdale
Polishing: Dave bell polishing, Fort Lauderdale
Accessories: Wheel spinners with Farrari emblems
Bars: Custom steel
Petrol tank: Fat Katz aluminum, stretched 6 inches, gallon capacity
Oil Tank: Stock internal
Pegs and Foot controls: Accel, customized by Thunder & Lightning
Electrics: Stock wiring with some modifications undertaken by Thunder & lightning
Breaks: (sic) (Front) Polished Brembo 4-piston caliper with dual 13-inch floating rotors
(Rear) Polished Brembo 4-piston caliper with 10-inch rotor
Wheels: (Front) Brembo polished 3.5x17-inch 3-spoke alloy, Rear) Brembo polished 5.5x17-inch 3-spoke alloy
Tires: (Front) Pirelli 120/70 ZR: (Rear) Pirelli 190/50 ZR
Forks: Inverted and Polished
Paint: PPG Deltron
Length: 97 Inches
Wheelbase: 78 Inches

Asking $20,000

I like Arlen Ness's bike much-more.
1680565056012.png

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and definitely not mine.
One of the USP's of a motorcycle is the engine being an integral part of the design and adding to the visual appeal.
Take that aspect away and what you are left with is a featureless blob with wheels at each end.

Mind you, with a whopping gallon tank capacity the frequent stops will give the motor a chance to cool down.
Given the reduction in airflow it may well need it.

For $20K I might even consider selling my bike. :D:eek:

LOTS of creativity, hard work and craftsmanship (5 stars for these) but with probable overheating issues and a 30 mile range, (1 star) not very practical and certainly doesn't work for me. Without the wheels it could have been George Jetson's daily ride !

For those wanting a covered bike, here's a 1950's Ducati, w/an owner-built 'dustbin' fairing.

1680619122044.png

Thos of you who don't know, 'dustbin' fairings are superior in aerodynamics to the current exposed-wheel style we have today. The governing body of motorcycle racing outlawed the use of 'dustbins,' and we are still under that today for roadracing.

Here's a 1958 Ducati racer by Fabio Taglioni, one of his early efforts. A DOHC 125cc 4-stroke single.

1680619581938.png

Other more-recent covered engines designs include the 600cc and 1000cc Honda Hurricanes, and the Ducati Paso.

1680619841461.png
1680619905658.png

When I was in the market for a new ride, I considered a BMW K1, a 1990 era 'fully-clothed' motorcycle. It was the first production BMW to break 150 MPH. It used the first water-cooled BMW motorcycle engine, the 1,000cc DOHC 'lay-down' 4-cylinder design, nicknamed the 'flying brick.' The orientation of the engine, with the DOHC head on one side of the bike, and on the opposite side, the crankshaft, was a design copied from the venerable Offenhauser 4 cylinder alcohol-burning racing automobile engine. Where the 'Offy' had an integral crankcase and cylinders/cylinder head, the BMW had separate pieces: lower end with cylinders and separate cylinder head. The Offy was designed to use alcohol for fuel, which helps in cooling the engine. When attempts were made to convert it to use gasoline as they did when it was used in the Kurtis KSC sportscar (later the Muntz Jet which solved the overheating by switching to an American V8, your choice of Cadillac OHV or Lincoln flathead V8) power was down, and the engine overheated.
1680620475763.png

The K1 I looked at had about 7500 miles on it, and was this color scheme, bodywork and color unique in the BMW line-up, where the Honda 600 Hurricane and the 1,000cc Hurricane appeared to be very similar to each other in their bodywork coverage. I ended up buying my '92 from the Ft. Lauderdale dealer soon after viewing the K1.

Last edited:
Back