My new ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC Max

Reaction score
After a long time I finally have my own Max. It's a '93 model that was in impecable shape, and the price was too good to pass up, so the wife relented. I have included a few pics.

The bike has had some sound upgrades, but is in need of a few very important ones; namely the suspension and the seat. I have contacted Race Tech and have learned they do not offer a lowing spring for the '93 and up bikes. Would you still recommend the Race Tech set-up despite the lack of a lowering, or would you go another direction? I know this question has probably been explored before, but I couldn't locate it.
I am also exploring my shock options, but am severly crippled by a tight upgrade budget right now, which the new springs will consume a large portion of. Have been reading about what others have done, but am open to further ideas.

Thanks for the imput.

Attachments

• vmax1.jpg
    vmax1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 30
  • vmax2.jpg
    vmax2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 28
  • vmax3.jpg
    vmax3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Copy of vmax10.jpg
    Copy of vmax10.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 18
  • vmax6.jpg
    vmax6.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 30
After a long time I finally have my own Max. It's a '93 model that was in impecable shape, and the price was too good to pass up, so the wife relented. I have included a few pics.

The bike has had some sound upgrades, but is in need of a few very important ones; namely the suspension and the seat. I have contacted Race Tech and have learned they do not offer a lowing spring for the '93 and up bikes. Would you still recommend the Race Tech set-up despite the lack of a lowering, or would you go another direction? I know this question has probably been explored before, but I couldn't locate it.
I am also exploring my shock options, but am severly crippled by a tight upgrade budget right now, which the new springs will consume a large portion of. Have been reading about what others have done, but am open to further ideas.

Thanks for the imput.

That's not true! I lowered my 2006 Vmax 2 inches with Race-Tech parts... THEY did it for me as they couldn't guarantee the emulators would fit my bike... They might not use springs though. They may use a 1 inch spacer...

I have a set of Progressive 412's on mine and hate them... I would recommend the 440's or an Ohlins piggy back setup!

Great looking bike! I painted mine with red racing stripes on black this year! I LOVE the look on the Max!:thumbs up:

Check out he seat thread!

Thanks for the imput.

I lowered mine with the standard racetech springs and emulator setup by decreasing the preload spacer and adding a spacer in the rebound section of the same amount I decreased the preload spacer.

Their website says they will do lowering but you have to send them the forks and they do the labor I believe.

Stay away from the 412's like someone else mentioned. One of mine leaked out all the oil at 1 1/2 years old.

I'm running Works now which I like alot.

Rusty

I can't speak to the lowering bit, but that is a great looking VMAX!

Thank you for all of the compliments and advice. Max01Red, drop me a PM and we'll definitely get together for a ride. Are you taking part in the Biker's for Babies Ride?

As to my suspension, I am going with the Race Tech setup, it turns out the sales guy I was dealing with didn't think about the lowering blocks. Just the kind of guy you want in your sales department. He didn't even take the time to match me up with the proper spring ratio, I had to tell him, oh well, what can you do.

Sean is putting together a new seat for me, and I can't get that thing on the bike fast enough. Unlike Race Tech, Sean has been great to deal with, and I haven't even received my seat yet! His reputation is well deserved.

So now the next step will be the rear shocks. I've read enough to know what I'm not going to do, but still haven't decided which direction I am going to go.

Thanks again for the advice and the great site!

Thank you for all of the compliments and advice. Max01Red, drop me a PM and we'll definitely get together for a ride. Are you taking part in the Biker's for Babies Ride?

As to my suspension, I am going with the Race Tech setup, it turns out the sales guy I was dealing with didn't think about the lowering blocks. Just the kind of guy you want in your sales department. He didn't even take the time to match me up with the proper spring ratio, I had to tell him, oh well, what can you do.

Sean is putting together a new seat for me, and I can't get that thing on the bike fast enough. Unlike Race Tech, Sean has been great to deal with, and I haven't even received my seat yet! His reputation is well deserved.

So now the next step will be the rear shocks. I've read enough to know what I'm not going to do, but still haven't decided which direction I am going to go.

Thanks again for the advice and the great site!

I went with 11.5" 412's and as stated, I don't like them... They are WORLDS better than stock but still lacking. I want Ohlins or Works next I think... Something I can have sprung for my weight and a pillions weight...:thumbs up: I will also go with 12" shocks as the 18" wheel with the 180 ME880 tire rubs the inner fender a bit...:bang head:

I am too used to my sportbike I guess...:worthy:

I've done enough research to know I'm not going shorter, and definitely not going the Progressive 412 route. I would like to go with the Works units, but between the new seat and front end, coupled with the purchase of the bike, the budget is about spent. I'm considering the ZRX1100 shock option for now. They would give me the adjustability I want and a much better ride at a reasonable price if I can find a set. The only draw back is the taller height, but being that I'm a bigger guy, that may not be all bad, at least until the Works units are feasible. I'm going to continue looking and hope I'll stumble across the right option for me!

Back