Mythbusters: OE Rev limiter and overrev dangers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun getting to the stock TCI though....it's buried in there along with the v-boost servo and front coils. PITA to get to.

But all of that hard work is well worth the benefits of the Dyna 3000. Just wish I could find one that'd work with my 89....

Have fun getting to the stock TCI though....it's buried in there along with the v-boost servo and front coils. PITA to get to.

I've heard everything from its a huge PITA to install and took several frustrating hours, to it was a cinch and took 30 minutes. I will report back once installed. I think I'll go with a 9500rpm limit, and curve 3 for starters - anybody want to contribute their input to those options?

I've heard everything from its a huge PITA to install and took several frustrating hours, to it was a cinch and took 30 minutes.

Wasn't bad, less than an hour if you do not cut corners. You figure 20 minutes alone to take just junk off.
Make sure you take off the front plastic panels, the hardest part is working around the igntion wires...no space.

I will report back once installed. I think I'll go with a 9500rpm limit, and curve 3 for starters - anybody want to contribute their input to those options?

Curve 3 works for me.....just needles , springs, and Kerker full exhaust, and open airbox.

For race or very brisk riding You also have to realize, your gonna be bouncing offa that rev limiter at 9500 unless your shifting at 9000 or less.
The tachs climbing fast under boost...buy the time you see 9k (even with a shift light) your at 9500 before you even cut the trottle.
You'll find the sweet spot soon enough.

Curve 3 works for me.....just needles , springs, and Kerker full exhaust, and open airbox.

For race or very brisk riding You also have to realize, your gonna be bouncing offa that rev limiter at 9500 unless your shifting at 9000 or less.
The tachs climbing fast under boost...buy the time you see 9k (even with a shift light) your at 9500 before you even cut the trottle.

I figure I'll add a shift light set for about 8750, to account for shift lag, and try to shift right before the limiter at 9500. If I track it, I'll bump it to 10k for sure, but on for day to day I'll be careful with it.

85 , you have a Dyna 3000 on your '85 ?

I wonder if we could convince them to make a one time run on the older model with a group buy from here. :confused2::ummm::confused2:

Anybody got a contact at Dyna????

Yes, I ask them that every single time I call for another order. I think it would take a 100 part order to have them do a custom run. I don't have that kind of cash to tie up into inventory!

Sean

Check ebay....they turn up every so often. Someone here grabbed an analog Dyna not too long ago....

I don't think the sassy is a rev limiter. I think it limits the vboost unit only.

Sean

If you want a rev limiter and shift light why not just buy and install a sasy V boost controller? :confused2:

I'm with Sean on this one, from what I understand the sassy just controls V-boost, not the ignition. And while closing V-boost at 9500rpm would probably slow down over-rev, it definitely wouldn't stop it. And I'm very interested in making sure I have over-rev protection in unloaded situations, such as a missed shift, during which a closed V-boost probably wouldn't do much to limit a big handful of throttle with no load attached to it.

I'll probably buy a Harlen down the road, but I'm going to give myself a little time with the Dyna to see how I feel with it. If I can develop a comfort level with shifting by ear, before the limiter trips in, I may not need the shift light after all.

I have just went to the sight of sasy v-boost controller and they state the sasy is a v-boost controller,rev limiter and has a shift light. I am unable to link the site because I'm at my work computer. Just google Sasy and you will find it. I just got out bid on e-bay for one the other day. It went for 170.00. :bang head:

I have just went to the sight of sasy v-boost controller and they state the sasy is a v-boost controller,rev limiter and has a shift light. I am unable to link the site because I'm at my work computer. Just google Sasy and you will find it. I just got out bid on e-bay for one the other day. It went for 170.00. :bang head:

The Sasy is not a rev limiter, it just closes the vBoost at the determined rpm. Their manual even states that it only reduces power, it does not stop the engine reving. So, in short, its not going to help save you at all on an unloaded rev such as a missed shift. So, the Dyna is the way to go for actual over rev protection.

Whats a ref Limiter? LOL :rofl_200: . I 'm glad you had read manual to verify it is NOT a rev limiter otherwise it would have been a waste of money. Thanks for the info it's good to know!

Whats a ref Limiter? LOL :rofl_200: . I 'm glad you had read manual to verify it is NOT a rev limiter otherwise it would have been a waste of money. Thanks for the info it's good to know!

It's a bit of trickery on their part, not a fair representation. It will limit the bikes ability to rev, but not to the point where it would matter unloaded. Under load, it may be enough to get your attention, but I will bet it would still pull right past redline in first, even with vBoost closed.

Back