Mythbusters: OE Rev limiter and overrev dangers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have a Sasy in a heartbeat but as mentioned, it only shuts the VBoost off. These bikes are still pretty strong at the top even with the boost shut down...

Sooner or later, I'll find an Analog Dyna. That is if we can't get schematics from them to build our own... Sean.... :ummm:

????? I have most of the parts I can think of to convert the bike to Digital... Dash, ECU, VBoost Controller.. What else would I need except a Digital, 90+ Wiring Harness??????

BTW, I'm still working on the list of Compatable Parts, between years. I haven't given that up....

I'd have a Sasy in a heartbeat but as mentioned, it only shuts the VBoost off. These bikes are still pretty strong at the top even with the boost shut down...

Sooner or later, I'll find an Analog Dyna. That is if we can't get schematics from them to build our own... Sean.... :ummm:

????? I have most of the parts I can think of to convert the bike to Digital... Dash, ECU, VBoost Controller.. What else would I need except a Digital, 90+ Wiring Harness??????
Flywheel & pick up coils are also needed

There were two on eBay for about $215 with free shipping. Ended today. They may be relisted as they weren't sold.

No. Just the later years. Haven't seen one for the early years in some time. I would set up an automatic search on eBay. I have several set up that emails me everytime the item shows up on eBay. Pretty handy feature.

Well, the Dyna3000 arrived Saturday in the mail. My wife is a gear head in training (she did her own brakes last week with some supervision on her car), and wanted to do the work. So, we did an oil change first, and then the Dyna3000 install - only thing I actually did other than supervise was loosen the oil filter - some crazy psycho that owned the bike previously (just bought in in Jan. 2011) had that thing on there insano tight, I needed a filter socket and a ratchet. And, I helped with getting the screw back by the airbox back in with the new ignition, crazy tight spot. With those two exceptions, she did all the work. The Dyna 3000 probably took a little over an hour, start to finish, with me doing a lot of teaching on the way.

I went with curve 4 and a 9500rpm limit. Had to turn the idle down a touch, it actually seems to hunt a bit more than it used to with the stock ignition, probably the advance carrying it a little faster on a bit less fuel, so a little fueling irregularity is more noticeable. The advance feels great, definitely a touch stronger in the middle - and at cruise the bike always seems to be accelerating with even the lightest of throttle inputs. I don't know about the top end yet, once I get my Supertrapps I should have the jetting back closer to where it should be, I know its a bit rich at present running open headers. I had removed the stock exhaust thinking I'd have the exhaust by now, but Supertrapp is holding things up a bit.

The limiter works - I must have some error in my stock tach, because it doesn't cut in until about 10,000rpm indicated, I assume this is probably just an optimistic OE tachometer. Anybody else have this, the stock tach reading high, at higher revs? I know its not uncommon, I think every vehicle/bike I've had that I've had an aftermarket, accurate tach on, revealed some stock tach error.

Next stop will be a Harlen shift light - but at least in the mean time I won't be putting the motor at risk if I miss a shift, or stretch a gear a bit too long. I wish there was a 9250rpm setting for the dyna, so I could set a shift light for 8750, to catch a shift at just over 9000rpm. I'm not sure I want to drop the dyna to 9000, we'll see.

Well, the Dyna3000 arrived Saturday in the mail. My wife is a gear head in training (she did her own brakes last week with some supervision on her car), and wanted to do the work. So, we did an oil change first, and then the Dyna3000 install - only thing I actually did other than supervise was loosen the oil filter - some crazy psycho that owned the bike previously (just bought in in Jan. 2011) had that thing on there insano tight, I needed a filter socket and a ratchet. And, I helped with getting the screw back by the airbox back in with the new ignition, crazy tight spot. With those two exceptions, she did all the work. The Dyna 3000 probably took a little over an hour, start to finish, with me doing a lot of teaching on the way.

I went with curve 4 and a 9500rpm limit. Had to turn the idle down a touch, it actually seems to hunt a bit more than it used to with the stock ignition, probably the advance carrying it a little faster on a bit less fuel, so a little fueling irregularity is more noticeable. The advance feels great, definitely a touch stronger in the middle - and at cruise the bike always seems to be accelerating with even the lightest of throttle inputs. I don't know about the top end yet, once I get my Supertrapps I should have the jetting back closer to where it should be, I know its a bit rich at present running open headers. I had removed the stock exhaust thinking I'd have the exhaust by now, but Supertrapp is holding things up a bit.

The limiter works - I must have some error in my stock tach, because it doesn't cut in until about 10,000rpm indicated, I assume this is probably just an optimistic OE tachometer. Anybody else have this, the stock tach reading high, at higher revs? I know its not uncommon, I think every vehicle/bike I've had that I've had an aftermarket, accurate tach on, revealed some stock tach error.

Next stop will be a Harlen shift light - but at least in the mean time I won't be putting the motor at risk if I miss a shift, or stretch a gear a bit too long. I wish there was a 9250rpm setting for the dyna, so I could set a shift light for 8750, to catch a shift at just over 9000rpm. I'm not sure I want to drop the dyna to 9000, we'll see.

i've noticed the same thign on the tach with both my shift light (when it worked) and my rev limiter. i wasn't looking at the tach when the rev limiter kicked it but 'felt' over 9500. asl long as the real engine rpms are 9500 it doesn't bother me

My '85 will pull strong all the way to about 10800, you hit the wall a bit over 11k,(flouting valves) like Sean said...many a times I've seen it at 12k. I try to shift by feel but no can do on the Max...it'll keep pulling till you break something:bang head:
I now have the Dyna 3000 with no regrets....limiter set at 10500 (not recommended to go over 10k with stock springs) bar mounted 4 inch tach/shift light set at 9700....I pretty consistently shift at 10200 at the track (shift recall)....works best for my ride......too much catching up to do shifting at lower rpm for me.

Oh yea...just get a good shift light, I never hit the limiter.
Dave, where did ya get the Dyna 3000 for your 85?
Really want one.
Thanks,
Steve-o

Anyone do any testing with a Dyna 3000 to see if there is any performance improvement?

Update: Harlen shift light is installed. Again, I let my wife do most of the work, she likes learning this stuff. Pretty easy install, the OE tach wiring really makes it easy to hook up everything you need. What a fantastic mod this is. I feel I can actually ride the bike like it should be now, I don't have to split my attention between the tach and the road when wringing it out, which was always a scary proposition. I am triggering the light at 8800rpm, to give me a shift around 9,000rpm. In the upper gears I can probably let it glow a second or two before making my shift, as the rpm climb is much more gradual, if I ever get to a quarter mile this year I can experiment with that.

This was easily the best mod for dollar investment yet. So, now between the Dyna and the shift light, I am well covered to really run this thing like I want, it's so much more enjoyable.

Back