Naked bike suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
z1000 would be way too much for a beginner.

That's why I suggested the 500 Kawi. Tame enough for a beginner, but peppy enough she wouldn't outgrow it too soon.

z1000 would be way too much for a beginner.

Not entirely. We have seen or heard of some guys whose first bike was a Vmax. How many started on CB750s back in day (another monster for it's time)? I started on a '99 Venture, which to some, is considered insane to learn on a 900lbs beast with that much power. Within a year in a half (and about 15k miles later), I was on my Vmax. However, in both cases, I knew from the get go that they had alot of power, and weight in the Venture's case, and a respected them as much.

IMHO, it is not how powerful the bike is, but how you respectful you are of it and to ride within your personal limits.

Totally agree with that :)
I got a v-max as a second bike after a SV650.
It took me a couple of month to get used to the bike then the vboost.
I took time but I guess it was the price to pay for riding it with the small experience riding I had.

No matter what is the power of is the bike, if you ride a 400cc and above like you want to die you will surely do no matter how powerful is the bike.

yes people can learn on a vmax or even a busa, but would you really recommend it?!

Honestly no, it's not the easy way.
Something light and below 600cc will be prefect for starting.
Better to avoid a bnew bike during the first 6 months lol

500 Vulcan if she likes a cruiser. Strangely enough my missus went down to Toronto for the sole purpose of buying the 500 Vulcan and ended up buying the 500 Ninja. She said the Vulcan looked more appealing but that the Ninja seating position and ergos felt way better.

Blaine

I'm looking for a bike for my wife and it's proving to be somewhat difficult.

She only likes specific types of bikes as far as looks go. They definitely have to be naked and non-fairing.

Just to give you a sample of what she doesn't like
SV650/1000
None of the Ducatis (I know, crazy :))
No full plastic sport bikes

What she has liked
Old school bikes from the 70s - can be bobbered or rodded...i.e. likes Honda CBs

Any suggestions?

What about the Honda 1985 V-65 Magna, I sold that before I got Max loved that bike as well still think that was a cool looking motorcycle.

yes people can learn on a vmax or even a busa, but would you really recommend it?!

Ideally, no...but also depends on how natural they are on a bike. Let's face it...some are just meant to be on a bike and never know it until they try.

When I was shopping for my first bike, my best friend who was "coaching" me through was attempting to lean me more toward the Shadow 750/Vstar 650...you know, the safe side. They just didn't have what I wanted. I wanted it setup as a bagger and be comfortable. They were just too small. Then I came across my Venture, fully decked out highway cruising machine that it is. On paper, it is one of the worst starter bikes ever conceived. 880lb wet weight (with the bags empty), 29.5" "wide" seat height, more HP and torque than most engines its size, and I couldn't even flat foot it (still can't:biglaugh:). However, as I was told later, I was a natural when it came to riding...so in the end, it didn't matter. I knew what I had and respected it.

The best gauge I would go on is having them take the course, see how they do there, and go from there.

With all that said...I was also honing in on this:

I hear you on the what if she doesn't like riding. My thinking is I can get a bike that we both like/ride. If she doesn't like to ride I have a plan B when I want to take something out other than the Max. :)

Would definitely qualify as a fun 2nd bike ...hehehe:biglaugh:

Plus there is one advantage of getting a bike that has more power than what you "need" at first. You don't have to replace that bike later with what you have grown into. ;)

Back