Naked bike suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagherra

Reaction score
I'm looking for a bike for my wife and it's proving to be somewhat difficult.

She only likes specific types of bikes as far as looks go. They definitely have to be naked and non-fairing.

Just to give you a sample of what she doesn't like
SV650/1000
None of the Ducatis (I know, crazy :))
No full plastic sport bikes

What she has liked
Old school bikes from the 70s - can be bobbered or rodded...i.e. likes Honda CBs

Any suggestions?

Would this be her first bike?

Elimax
Yes, sorry. I should have added that...makes a big difference in the selection.

BTW - whew...I found one she really likes...

Triumph Legend
Triumph%20Legend%20TT%2099%20%202.jpg

Triumphs are fantastic!

Howsoever, might something a wee bit less expensive be wise for the short term, like a used Honda Rebel 250? That would be much cheaper an investment than a Triumph, and god forbid, she decides she doesn't like riding, you haven't laid aout too much $?

Elimax

I appreciate the advice. She's looked at Rebels before and didn't like them that much. I also thought the Ninja 250 would be good as they make great starter bikes, but she doesn't like sport bikes.

I hear you on the what if she doesn't like riding. My thinking is I can get a bike that we both like/ride. If she doesn't like to ride I have a plan B when I want to take something out other than the Max. :)

Well, heck, if that's true, get her a Triumph Speed Triple then!

For naked bike, the queen is Bmw K1300R but the beast might not be the right bike your wife but I Think you will love to ride it:)

Take a look at that : here you might get some idea.

I like italian bikes but they can become expensive to maintain.
The new ducati streetfighter looks really gorgeous but still my heart is with the bmw K1300R

look at the Yamaha virago 535 there is a ton of women that ride those bikes. Also the Kawasaki eliminators I think they have a 250. Or older yet I had a 1984 Kawasaki kz440 belt drive years ago that was a fun little bike.

Good Luck I feel for you man, trying to find a first bike for your wife.

Scooter

The Kawasaki "LTD" series always looked pretty cool to me. There was one for sale in the local newspaper last week & it sold fast.

A kawasaki Z750 is a sweet naked bike. Was best selling bike in France last year I think.
But I'm confuses what you include in the naked bikes, do you include roadster and cruiser ?
Starting at how many cc ?

I rode a suzuki SV650 and i really loved that bike.

Hi i just went through all this with my wife. If its her first bike dont go so much for looks or style just make sure if fits her and she can handle it meaning if she falls over its not going to be heavy and break her leg. I bought my wife a 85 gs 550 inline 4 i got a good buy on it, My wife Nancy is 5'1" so it was to tall so i lowered it but it was also to wide in the seat do to being a inline 4, V twins balance better.So i sold that and bought her a 95 virago 535 its a nice bike but she never rode before not even a dirtbike, Im proud of her she took the Pa safety course and passed with flying colors. Now that she has her licence she is afraid to ride her own bike due to 2 local women that got severly hurt who had there own bikes.So being a Mom she is thinking twice about riding her own bike. She does well but in traffic when cars get on her ass she panics. Im getting her a small dirt bike so she doesnt lose her skills. If i had to do it again i think id start her out on a small street and trail bike. JIM

So i light bike and not too high can be nice.
IMO Suzuki Gladius or Kawasaki ERN6 can be good choices.
But once again it's a matter of taste first :)

Yeah its your coin, the safety course provide the bikes and they use the eliminators 125cc,and she handled the 125 very well. the only problem is not enough pwr on the highway so i was determined nothing smaller than a 500. I should just get her the BUSA she wants and put a million dollar life ins policy on her LOL?

What I like about that ZL600 eliminator is it's almost the perfect entry type bike.

It weighs in about 450lbs, has a real low center of gravity and handles quite well. Low seat hight of about 28"

75hp/33tq @ 10k, coupled with a 6 speed that tops out a little over 120mph.

Rear brakes are on the wimpy side, it uses a 150/15 tire (hmm that sounds familiar)

http://reviews.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-reviews.showreview/productId-1336/cf266dde.html

This is awesome guys! Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

There were some bikes I was interested in that she didn't like. The Triumph Speed Triple was definitely on my list, but she thinks they're hideous. She also hated the Monster (another bike I would like). She's pretty picky on the looks of bikes.

I showed her the Eliminator and she liked it so that's good. I'll look at the others.

BTW - I told her about the BUSA suggestion and upping the life insurance policy. I got a good laugh. :)

Back