Need advice from the wealth of knowledge here

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIKDMAX

Reaction score
As some of you know I recently placed my 2002 Vmax for sale. After speaking with my wife these past few days I/we have decided that since I would just end up buying another Vmax down the road I should just teach a few more firearms classes to make some extra money and keep the Vmax. So now I have an issue I'd like to address/fix.
My Max is lucky to get 90 miles before the reserve light pops on and there is always a strong smell of gas/exhaust at idle. Other than that it seems to run good. I synched the carbs and they are dead on. I ride around town but a lot of my riding is 70+ mph on the highway turning over 5K. The only other possible contributing factor might be in the A/F screws. The rear right screw turns but creaks like the spring is bound up. getting 28-29 miles to the gallon just doesn't seem right when my last one averaged in the 34 mpg range and had a lot more work done to it.
So what I need to know is where to start and if anyone has any ideas? Also who is the carb guru around here if I decide to just remove them and send them out instead of trying to pull them apart myself?
Thanks for any and all help.

Congrats on keeping the bike:punk:

Do you know the history of the bike?? carbs modified??

You oughta get in the low to mid 30's even on the highway at 5k rpm's if not better.

After checking the a/f screws I would consider going over the carbs and seeing if the jets, needles and springs are all stock.

Stock needles shouldn't have any alternative clip positions, I don't know how to tell a stock spring other than comparison......you can look in the carb section for stock jet sizes. Main, pj1 and pj2, the mains are 152.5 stock usually.

My stage 7 got better mileage than that, but it had small 147.5 mains and stock PJ 1 & 2, just had the pods, correctors and stage 1 needles if I remember right....

who is the carb guru around here if I decide to just remove them and send them out instead of trying to pull them apart myself?
Thanks for any and all help.

I had a small of fuel at idle. A quick adjustment of the a/f screws took care of that.

If you need to send them off. Dannymax has a good rebuild service going on. I've heard some great things about his work.

Thanks, I'm glad it's staying.
As far as I can tell the carbs are stock but I haven't opened them up. Just from what the previous owner has said and everything else was bone stock, I even drilled out the A/F plugs. Tried adjusting them but no change in smell or fuel mileage.

i put some iridium plugs in my bike and have my a/f screws all out about two turns...man i don't get over 90 to 100 miles before my reserve light comes on either...i run high rpms on my bike around town a lot but fairly low speeds...too many cops around here in irving....tx...i do a lot of 1-2 and 3rd rips with it..then shutdown...these bikes just suck gas....sounds like your bike is just running rich..

3 of the 4 look fine while the right rear is a bit darker but not black or wet. When I drilled out the plugs the screws were between 1 1/4 turns to 1 1/2 turns out which seemed odd since I'm used to 2 1/2 out.

I think your doing great, I get 90 just before the light, and about 130 on the side of the road(yes I have run her dry).
I did that with my wife on the back.....she hasn't let me forget it yet.

Normally I get about 85 before the light, but I do ride hard.
Put on a newer set from a '02 all cleaned up, bowls set and I still get the same.
85-90 b4 the light.

You could check and set the float levels, change to 150 mains and that should help with the milage and possibly add a little more power

You could check and set the float levels, change to 150 mains and that should help with the milage and possibly add a little more power
How many miles do u have on your 02 ? Just had my carbs rebuilt recently on my 02 Max at 85,000 miles.My service guy said they were super dirty.I get 50 mpg high way now & 30 in town.:biglaugh:

Lots of variables in the fuel mileage game! Things like warming the bike up, riding style, and terrain can greatly effect how many MPG's you get. If its running good and the plugs look acceptable, I would say leave it alone and ride it!

Latest posts

Back