Need help.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21Turner

Reaction score
Ok I am asking for help once again guys. I took my 1994 Vmax to a shop. The bike runs good on top end but after riding for awhile it seems to run bad on the low end. Seems to miss and sputter a bit. I took it to a shop and they said the carbs on the left side were not seated in the bowls? They also bumped up my idle to 1500 which is no good, as far as I know it should idle at 1000 rpm's. Any thought as to why there would it would run bad after it warms up a bit?

Don't go back to that shop. Bumping the idle that high is only masking an issue. What did they do to your bike?

When it sputters, if you pull the choke does it get better or worse?
What does your fuel filter look like?
It couldn't hurt to run some Seafoam through that puppy.

I had a similar issue with my old XS11, It wasn't carbs then. It turned out to be a pickup coil going bye-bye.

Try draining you carbs into a cup, jar or something and look for any trash in what comes out. It may be intermittently blocking things up...
I agree, don't go back to that shop.. I wouldn't trust them for Shit...
Look for someone here living close to you whose carb wise..

Check your charging volts to rule out electrical problems. +1 on trying conservative measure like using sea foam or BG-44 or liquimoly carburetor cleaners. +1 on not going back to that shop.
there is also a simple procedure called pea shooter, scroll down the page, use an eye dropper not high pressure spraying.
http://home.comcast.net/~onlyone12/carbs1.htm

http://www.international-auto.com/lubricants/liqui-moly-carburetor-and-valve-cleaner.cfm

one can gives 6 x 50ml gas treatments, I use ~ every tank, the can has 300ml.

As mentioned above, try 6 or 8 ounces of the Sea Foam with a full tank of fuel. This helped my Max. Also, check the a/f mixture screws. I've read on here that 1.5 to 4.5 turns was acceptable. Mine ranged from 1.75 to 2.5. I set them all to 3 turns from seat and this again improved idling and low end responce. The next thing I'll do is sync the carbs. As the others said, to idle your bike at 1500 is not a good idea for several reasons. At idle, going into first gear, could feel a bit of a "slamming effect", not the best for the trans, excessive fuel consumption in city driving, also could generate excessive heat in city driving ( starts and stops ), with clutch out, could could excessive braking wear and heat. Apparently the shop couldn't fix it and increased the idle to make it appear smoother. Hang in there, you will get your answers here. Good luck

Sounds just like mine - you'll need to do the 'shotgun' cleaning (search for it here - plenty of posts with links to it), and if that doesn't clear it, take your carbs off and give 'em a good clean.

Again, full instructions are found here with pictures in the carbs subforum.

Thanks guys. Is anyone out there or can recommend a mechanic close to me? I live in Mountain home Arkansas 72653. Right at the Missouri border and in the top middle of the state.

Thanks guys. Is anyone out there or can recommend a mechanic close to me? I live in Mountain home Arkansas 72653. Right at the Missouri border and in the top middle of the state.

Come over to the Eureka Springs Vmax get-to-gether at the Idleweis motel on hwy 62, the weekend of June 17-19th. Plenty of Vmaxers there to help you with most anything Vmax. Sean Morley (Himself) will be on hand to diagnose problems too! :biglaugh: I'm sure your bike will feel better after leaving that event.

:eusa_dance:

I'm riding there this year so someone else will need to bring the tools

Just checked my work schedule and I will be off the 17th. Will you guys be hanging out or riding? It is about 1.5 hour ride for me so not too bad.

I'll get there sometime Friday afternoon/evening. The biggest day of anything going on is Saturday.

Sean

I'm riding there this year so someone else will need to bring the tools

What? No last minute, moonlighted, carb jobs on the tailgate out in the parking lot this year? Just won't be the same. :biglaugh:

Will your MRS. be attending again this year?

No, she's going to stay home and take care of the little man!

Sean

No, she's going to stay home and take care of the little man!

Sean

Enjoy those "little" years while you can Sean...........before you know it, your "little man" will be riding behind or ahead of you on these rides. Time flies.

My son turns 18 on that Saturday. Funny though.......I never managed to get him to even ride his bicycle, much less get interested in operating a motorcycle. Go figure.

Back