Need some help interpreting the NY SAFE Act

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the New York State SAFE Act FAQ section....it was given to me by the clerk at the county pistol permit bureau:

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

My question is....'is the SKS with the original fixed 10 rd magazine considered a restricted assault weapon under the regs?'

Going to the 3rd question down under "Assault Weapons"....click....'Answer' then...'Rifles' then 'Banned Features' it says

"Semiautomatic rifles capable of recieving a detachable magazine"

AND

"One or more of the following military characteristics............

Then a list of a bunch of stuff like folding stock, thumb hole, pistol grip, threaded barrel, bayonet lug....etc.

My determination is that as long as it doesn't have a detachable magazine it is excluded no matter what other characteristics it may have.

What do y'all think? :ummm:

The AND means if the characteristic that came before the AND isn't satisfied then none of the characteristics that come after the AND matter.
I don't open the link. Just went by your post.

That's exactly the way I look at it too Rusty.

Turns out we can keep our assault weapons also....providing we 'permanently disable' certain characteristics....in a 'informational' meeting last night a rep from the NYS Police explained it may just be a simple matter of sawing off the pistol grip or thumb hole....grinding off the bayonet lug, etc.

The crowd didn't receive that very well.....:biglaugh:

Fuck them keep it the way it is don't register it. There's so much going down its going to get over turned. Its gotta. No ones going to enforce it.

One guy had a real interesting question for the state police...."If and when this law gets repealed, what are you going to do with all the registration information you've rec'd....keep it or destroy it?"

Of course, they didn't have an answer for the guy.

Ignore it and go about your day to day business, and post a copy of the B.O.R. where you store it!!

Civil Disobedience, MLK.

New York sucks.

O

Ignore it and go about your day to day business, and post a copy of the B.O.R. where you store it!!

Civil Disobedience, MLK.

New York sucks.

O

B.O.R.?? :confused2:

NY does suck!! Laying off over 230 NYS Thruway workers today, crying poverty, but voted themselves (legislators) humungous raises....up to 40% in some cases! :ummm:

Ya man, gotta keep our Boys and Gals fighting for our freedoms, all those freedoms, watch the super bowl now, American Exceptionalism and all that,,,Yipper!!

O

There are several law suits filed right now from my area (Buffalo NY). Local Sherriff are talking about not enforcing it, if it goes through. Cuomo's popularity poll has dropped severely. He says it's just because people don't really understand the bill.

This is a few words from our local Sherriff:
http://www.sheriffhoward.com/

The reality is, I'm sad to point out, is whatever the Judge decides it to be if and when you go to court.
David

Actually....it's really clear, once you study it.....
-The SKS doesn't have a detachable magazine......It's not on the list
-Most SKS's are made by Norinko, and a variant of the AK-47......It's back on the list
-But the gun in question may be manufactured by a company other than Norinko.....well, that would romove it from the list
-What about the '94 regs that banned the gun....oh yeah....well, I guess it's back on the list
-But no, this individual owned the rifle prior to the 1994 ban.....then it's back off the list!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

There are several law suits filed right now from my area (Buffalo NY). Local Sherriff are talking about not enforcing it, if it goes through. Cuomo's popularity poll has dropped severely. He says it's just because people don't really understand the bill.

This is a few words from our local Sherriff:
http://www.sheriffhoward.com/

Jeez, can you blame him? How the hell are you going to enforce something like that!!

Did you see the guv on TV last night? He's sure lost that arrogance he had the day he signed the bill!! Almost looks like he's beginning to wonder if he not only missed the bus to Pennsylvania Avenue but may have cost himself his day job too!

Did he think we were all gonna just lay down? :confused2:

Didn't see it Danny, I don't think him or the "elite politicians" live in regular guy reality. He's probably surpised about the reaction. We're only sheeple you know!:bang head:

I started to type out a pretty lengthy response but realized very quickly that a very short one would get my point across.

...shall not be infringed

FUCK them, I will not comply!

I started to type out a pretty lengthy response but realized very quickly that a very short one would get my point across.

...shall not be infringed

FUCK them, I will not comply!

And therin lies the answer, from a true Patriot of the U.S. Bill Of Rights.:clapping:

Just thought I'd pass on what the State Police told me a few minutes ago regarding this highly dangerous weapon.....THE TUBE FED .22 CAL SEMI AUTOMATIC RIFLE

I believe this is the favored weapon of terrorists and freedom fighters all over the world....and many of you guys find it difficult to believe anyone on this forum would actually possess such a gun.....but, just in case you have one and live in NY, or coming into NY to blast some squirrels....HERE ARE THE REGS!!

The magazine must be permanently modified to accept a maximum of 10 rounds, but you can never carry more than 7 rounds in the rifle at any time.

....as for one in the pipe....that's fine, the law only addresses magazines.

Oh...'permanently' is defined as not easily reversible through conventional means.

Good luck interpreting this law Dan-o. Went to the Buffalo Gun Center the other day and man was it packed. They are almost completely out of ammo, especially in the caliber I need, and pistols were selling like hotcakes!

The local dealers around here look like they are about 80% complete with a "going out of business, liquidate everything" sale.

Gun cases are mostly empty (only revolvers left)
Rifle racks have bolt actions and rimfire (the semis were gone weeks ago)
All pump shotguns are gone
Ammo shelves are empty in any semi auto caliber and all military calibers
No buckshot

Any shipments they receive during the day (ammo or firearms) don't make it to the end of the day. They are taking whatever they can from the distributors and that is getting sold as soon as it arrives.

There are normally 5-6 people standing in line when they open in the morning with a steady stream of people coming in until they lock the doors at night

That is not a society fearing a ban, that is a society gearing up for a battle.

Back