Need Stator

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
OK, went through all the steps in the troubleshooting thread for charging system. Everything good until testing the 3 wires from stator to reg/rec, all 3 supposed to read about .5 on the ohm meter, instead showing 2.3, 2.4, and 2.9, so stator is shorted. Where do I go for a replacement, and is it something I can replace, or should it be left to a professional? I'm pretty good with mechanical things, not so much with electrical. Opinions? Any thoughts welcome.
edit: Anybody have any input about this unit?
http://www.rmstator.com/en/VMX12-VMAX/STATOR/RM01051-15.aspx

OK, went through all the steps in the troubleshooting thread for charging system. Everything good until testing the 3 wires from stator to reg/rec, all 3 supposed to read about .5 on the ohm meter, instead showing 2.3, 2.4, and 2.9, so stator is shorted. Where do I go for a replacement, and is it something I can replace, or should it be left to a professional? I'm pretty good with mechanical things, not so much with electrical. Opinions? Any thoughts welcome.
edit: Anybody have any input about this unit?
http://www.rmstator.com/en/VMX12-VMAX/STATOR/RM01051-15.aspx

Looks good, better price than the Ricks Stators, that many people on this forum have used as a replacement.
Like the Ricks model, this one that you link to also fits the early Ventures, therefore you should be getting a stator with a slightly higher output than the OEM V-Max unit (400 watts vs. 350 watts). The Ricks website also lists a new "heavy-duty" stator for the Max, for about $30.00 more, that puts out an additional 20%.
As for doing the job yourself, go for it. Not difficult, except for stator bolts that may have to Vise-Gripped out, and a stator wire grommet that may need some RTV sealant to prevent oil leaks. You will need the stator cover gasket and the middle gear cover gasket. Lots of tutorials on this site, with plenty of tips.
Good luck!

OK, after talking with the tech dept, I was told that unit puts out 30 amps, or 420 watts at 14volts. I also ordered a later finned r/r, so when I get it all put back together, I should be good to go. The stator is coming from Canada, so will take about a week to get here. Luckily, I still have my Magna to ride in the meantime. That reliable old beast has 96,000 miles on it. I'm gonna mount my camera on it to record it rolling over 100k. :biglaugh: Hope to get that many miles from the Max, only 35,000 so far.

OK, after talking with the tech dept, I was told that unit puts out 30 amps, or 420 watts at 14volts. I also ordered a later finned r/r, so when I get it all put back together, I should be good to go. The stator is coming from Canada, so will take about a week to get here. Luckily, I still have my Magna to ride in the meantime. That reliable old beast has 96,000 miles on it. I'm gonna mount my camera on it to record it rolling over 100k. :biglaugh: Hope to get that many miles from the Max, only 35,000 so far.

Sounds like you are getting a terrific deal! The stator output for 1990-on model Maxes is only 22.5 amps@14 volts, as per the Clymer manual. A extra 100 watts to play with, if adding extra lighting or heated clothing! (maybe not a big priority in California)
This dealer should be of particular interest to Canadians. A home-grown source for electrical components, great prices, no money exchange fees or Canada Customs charges to worry about.
Please let us know about your experiences with the stator, and the company, after the deal is done.
Cheers!

Don't know about the product yet, I'll post after I get it, but the staff was very nice and helpful, and seemed very knowledgeable. BTW, they also sell Rick's products, for about 40% more than their own brand. Right now they make new stators, or they will rewind yours, but they said that in the future they may start selling rebuilt exchange units.

OK, got the stator installed, and later style finned mosfet R/R. With 2 extra 35 watt driving lights turned on, it shows 12.2 v @ 1100 rpm, and 14 v @3000, so I think I'm good to go. Very strong starter cranking from my Odyssey PC680 battery after only a half hour running to charge it up after sitting for almost 3 weeks. Woo-hoo!

what reading do you get with the lights off? just curious

My bad, I misread the meter...went back and checked again. I get 13.6 with the key off, 12.88 with the key on & engine not running. Start engine, 13.2 (not 12.2 as I posted earlier) at 1100 rpm (idle), 13.9 at 2500, 14.3 at 3000 & above. Lights on, 12.98 at idle, anything above idle, the extra lights make no difference, on or off, readings stay same as in my prior sentence.
I'm happy. :eusa_dance:
And the stator only cost $99, rather than the usual $130-140 others charge. I recommend these guys http://www.rmstator.com/en/VMX12-VMA...M01051-15.aspx

Back