networking 2 computers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
What would be the best way to hook 2 computers,An old gateway with windows 98 to a hp with xp?

Is it possible to hook them up with a usb cable?

Thanks,Shawn

shawn kloker said:
What would be the best way to hook 2 computers,An old gateway with windows 98 to a hp with xp?

Is it possible to hook them up with a usb cable?

Thanks,Shawn

I don't know if that will work with a USB cable. I'd hook them to the same hub and give them similar IP addresses. Then create a share on each computer so you can swap files between the 2.

Cheapest way would be to make a crossover cable. You might be able to buy one, but if you don't have a hub already, then making one of these isn't hard.

Here is a wiring diagram

14-g_small.gif

From there, make sure both PC's have the same Workgroup name. If you have assigned IP address to the nic cards, then make sure they have the same subnets.

Basicly, if PC #1 has IP of 192.168.61.01 Make sure PC #2 has an IP address of 192.168.61.xx.

Networking over USB is possible, but generally need some special software or is flakey at best.

The crossover cable idea is great.
And yes you need the same workgroup.
What about upgrading the Win 98 to XP?
That is what I would do first.
For me this is not an issue as I have the licenses available to do it. Just an idea..

Marky_max said:
The crossover cable idea is great.
And yes you need the same workgroup.
What about upgrading the Win 98 to XP?
That is what I would do first.
For me this is not an issue as I have the licenses available to do it. Just an idea..

Upgrading both to the same OS version would be easier, but XP is a bit of a resource pig, so it would probably depend on the PC he is running right now.

Xp would make things much easier as a crossover cable wouldn't be required. Xp has the ability to use a normal network cable and do the crossover by software.

However, like buster already stated, many folks run older OS's because their current hardware might not be able to hack it.

It was a good suggestion though.

Latest posts

Back