New '98 VMAX Owner - Iowa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my experience w/Emgo stuff is yes, it's cheap, but the durability and finishes and service life are less than stock, or other replacement suppliers. I once got a pair for another bike & the friction fitting failed after about a year, they were just-like those new cars where when you reverse it, the heads angle-downwards. :damn angry: I happen to like the stock mirror heads, but the stems could be a bit-longer. I think a Virago has a same-style stem in a longer length.

Good to know, thank you.

Well, I went for my first ride today around town...Temps hit 45 here in IA so it wasn't exactly highway warm (at least with my gear). I must start off by saying...HOLY SMOKES DOES THIS THING MOVE. :rocket bike: Absolutely NUTS. I cruised around town and hit 55 or so in some areas. I noticed the gear box feels extremely tight and I made sure to test second gear...no issues. The low center of gravity, upgraded suspension, and large tires make this thing feel/act light. Obviously not sport bike light, but it feels less than 600lbs. I absolutely LOVE this machine and cannot wait for some warmer days. I had two people already today stop and say "holy ****."

I did unfortunately discover two issues:

- The throttle is sticky and if I leave it alone at idle it will slowly pull the cable and thus the throttle increases. I can stop it by rolling throttle forward so I do not think it will be a hard fix.
- Manifold leak? I smell exhaust fumes all too much... I floated my hand by the rear headers and could feel a considerable amount of leakage...gaskets or?

A sticky throttle on a VMax? Do you live next to a funeral home? They may be sneaking-over at night trying to drum-up some business.

Frankly, I have never heard of a carb rack "pulling the cable," usually a revving throttle at idle (as-in coming to a stop and the bike rpm's increase on their own or the revs when you stop don't return to idle) is due to a intake manifold leak or a poor carb synch. Or both... . I would make-sure that the slack in the cables is set correctly, that you have thoroughly-inspected the cables from twistgrip to carb point-of-attachment, the cam-looking thing where the cables attach. Any damage to the cables, replace 'em, you can replace one or all-four, or however-many you decide. You probably should take the time if the throttle cable slack adjustment doesn't fix it, to disassemble the 4 cables at the junction box and to examine each in-turn for free movement. There should be absolutely no tendency of the cable housing to not move freely back & forth on the cable. Any crimp of the throttle cable housing, replace it immediately! Do not try to bend it back into a freely-moving position! That would be like having a pair of Ruger Blackhawks w/two-lb. pull triggers, loading them with ammo and trying to juggle them. Somebody's gonna get-hurt!

Check for vacuum leaks w/a can of CRC or WD-40 on the intake manifolds w/it running, and check your fittings on the exhaust for tightness. If you have the exhaust fittings fully-tightened, and they still leak (stockers) time for some of those graphite bushings inside the female pipes.

"Smelling exhaust fumes all-too-much" to me suggests a need to check float levels. See the stickies here on the forum. Maybe time for new needle valves for the brass seat. Any flooding?

A sticky throttle on a VMax? Do you live next to a funeral home? They may be sneaking-over at night trying to drum-up some business.

Frankly, I have never heard of a carb rack "pulling the cable," usually a revving throttle at idle (as-in coming to a stop and the bike rpm's increase on their own or the revs when you stop don't return to idle) is due to a intake manifold leak or a poor carb synch. Or both... . I would make-sure that the slack in the cables is set correctly, that you have thoroughly-inspected the cables from twistgrip to carb point-of-attachment, the cam-looking thing where the cables attach. Any damage to the cables, replace 'em, you can replace one or all-four, or however-many you decide. You probably should take the time if the throttle cable slack adjustment doesn't fix it, to disassemble the 4 cables at the junction box and to examine each in-turn for free movement. There should be absolutely no tendency of the cable housing to not move freely back & forth on the cable. Any crimp of the throttle cable housing, replace it immediately! Do not try to bend it back into a freely-moving position! That would be like having a pair of Ruger Blackhawks w/two-lb. pull triggers, loading them with ammo and trying to juggle them. Somebody's gonna get-hurt!

Check for vacuum leaks w/a can of CRC or WD-40 on the intake manifolds w/it running, and check your fittings on the exhaust for tightness. If you have the exhaust fittings fully-tightened, and they still leak (stockers) time for some of those graphite bushings inside the female pipes.

"Smelling exhaust fumes all-too-much" to me suggests a need to check float levels. See the stickies here on the forum. Maybe time for new needle valves for the brass seat. Any flooding?

I haven't had any issues with flooding and it starts right up when warm without choke. This morning it started up just fine with the choke on half or so. The power band felt linear and without hesitation. The throttle stick also occurred if I pulled the clutch in at 4k in 3rd gear. It truly feels exactly like a "sticky cable" as I can roll the throttle forward to rectify issue. It feels exactly the same as sport bikes I've had that have poorly installed grips that "catch" on the switch piece. I will have the local yamaha shop take a look tomorrow when they change the oil. I don't have the time I used to to disassemble my toys, family comes first.

Yeah, after I finished writing, I thought," gee, maybe I should-have mentioned a binding grip," but decided not to bother editing the post. Another possibility.

Firemedic,

Shop said carbs are so out of sync it's idling on two cylinders. Hence the fuel smell! I see the DIY guide but I just am having the shop do sync them while I'm at work. Will post update later.

Buy a carb sync tool so you can d-i-y next time, the tool pays for itself the 1st-time! There are different ones. Glad you are getting things done. You will have a whole-'nother beast when it's squared-away! When they are running right, they are loads of fun, you don't see that many, and when they have problems, ask here and you can get advice about fixes and parts.

Hi Austin, if you would like to borrow my motion pro to sync in the future, shoot me a msg.

Chuck

I agree w Rifleman, Im not far from you as well. I grew up in Norwoodville, and now live out passed Adel & work in ames, I have a Motion Pro sync tool that you are free to play with anytime. & we'll have to go for a putt when it gets warm.

Saw that bike at the Stone City General Store last summer. A little TLC and a few bits and you have a nice bike. Enjoy the new Vmax man.
Rob

Maybe we can have an Iowa Max rally....

I hardly ever see a Vmax here, in fact living in DSM since 1998 I have only seen 2 but looks there is a few more than that, which is awesome.

Here is a quick video I made today after a BREEZY ride. I misplaced my gloves over the winter and I can certainly say standard fleece does not block any wind. Good news is that my new HJC modular helmet fits like a glove. I enjoyed the ride but I am NOT up to par handling it yet. As others have said, the learning curve for this machine is longer than most. My stepfather has an '09 FZ1 and I could ride that thing to it's near potential (street wise) fairly easily. I may end up with an FZ-1 this year too as I miss my FZ-6.

http://youtu.be/mLaPQPaqJcU

I don't know if anyone has posted this but you might look into it. Gives the look of having a fender, I think. I don't believe the plate holder comes with it.
675d.jpg

http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/670/675d_en.html

starting to get me excited hearin the iowa boys chime in:biglaugh:

Rock on!!!

Maybe we can have an Iowa Max rally....

I hardly ever see a Vmax here, in fact living in DSM since 1998 I have only seen 2 but looks there is a few more than that, which is awesome.

I've only ever seen one, outside of bike nights anyway. This year I vow to see many!

Hey guys! Unfortunately, her car is totalled and she didn't have full coverage at the time. Luckily we have an old Vue she is driving but I'd like to get her in something more reliable. No particular rush to sell - I suppose as I am enjoying the heck out of the bike. Quite frankly, it is rather insane. My FZ1 is probably faster, but not freight train like.

Back