New '98 VMAX Owner - Iowa

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abell255

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I want to first thank everyone on this forum that have the generous, helpful attitude we all rely upon in the darnest of times. I have been rummaging through these forums for a few weeks and recently picked up a VMAX myself. Over the years, I've had twelve cycles. Anything from an R1 to a Vulcan 1500. I've always found myself in a quandary - too little power/aggressiveness or extreme discomfort. Although I've put a mere 5 miles on the VMAX thus far, I can already tell it will be a keeper. Holy SMOKES does this thing pull. Running up to a mere 5k at half throttle blew my mind. :punk:

I live here in central Iowa therefore a long test ride wasn't feasible. I bought a '98 VMAX with 16k miles for $4k. KBB had values around $3500 but there were not many VMAX's for sale within a few hours of me (within my budget). Therefore, with the mods I felt it was worth it. Of course we all know, a bike/toy is worth as much as the utility it provides the owner and can be justified. The previous owner gave me a thick stack of receipts for the modifications done, but it is obvious some are missing.

I am NEW to VMAX's, therefore I need all of your observations based on my photos. The major mods were done in '00 at 5k miles.

The mods I am aware of:
- Braided lines
- Stage 7 jet kit (vboost disabled, unfortunately)
- Quad K&N
- Drag handle bars
- License plate relocated
- Euro style headlight
- LED taillight
- LED rear turn signals
- Progressive shocks
- Frame sliders/highway pegs...ish?
- Eagle Mach 7 4-2-1 exhaust

Needs:
- MIRRORS. I understand the "hardcore/fighter look, but safety is important. Ideas? Cheap, black, on the smaller side is what I am seeking
- Wax job/TLC
- Rear brake light switch, simply rusted out, see @20 on ebay

Here are some photos I've shot with my cell phone. Snow/ice and horrible weather hasn't allowed me to get this thing out much yet. I will update photos when I can.

This was a spur of the moment 3 hour trip. My buddy's project '85 monte SS with a 383 stroker has no heat, no cruise, exhaust leaks, etc etc... A state trooper pulled us over for quite a few reasons (no front plate, trailer light out, etc) but said "go get that machine and get home."

I hope some of you enjoy the fighter look as I do. I also hope there are some good group rides (near gas stations :rofl_200:) this year.

- Austin Bell

Man does that thing look outta-place in the snow! (OK, guys, that's an invite to send-in pics of your ice-studded VMaxes. One of my friends from Rochester NY, Tom Robinson is an ice-racing guy & he's probably past 70 now! He has ridden for fun w/some neophyte racer guy from Lapeer MI, I think they call him "Slinky," "Springee," or something...:rofl_200:

Man does that thing look outta-place in the snow! (OK, guys, that's an invite to send-in pics of your ice-studded VMaxes. One of my friends from Rochester NY, Tom Robinson is an ice-racing guy & he's probably past 70 now! He has ridden for fun w/some neophyte racer guy from Lapeer MI, I think they call him "Slinky," "Springee," or something...:rofl_200:

Agreed! The test drive wasn't ideal, that's for sure. Even with clear pavement, the amount of salt/sand everywhere is astounding. I was able to get her warmed up, and go a bit hard on the tranny and it feels tight/shifts smooth.

I have seen some of those studded VMax on YouTube...nuts!

I'd put a rear fender back on it too. Looks out of place. I have some arrow head mirrors that might work for you. Pics are on my facebook thread. We have plenty of good used parts on hand as well as many new OEM parts.

I'd put a rear fender back on it too. Looks out of place. I have some arrow head mirrors that might work for you. Pics are on my facebook thread. We have plenty of good used parts on hand as well as many new OEM parts.

I can't seem to link up to your facebook thread? I actually like the removed fender look, but to each his own. Thanks for input.

Insane! Couldn't pay me to do that.

What do you guys think of these? I assume the site is right and the VMax is a 10mm thread? I've never been a fan of small, odd shaped mirrors. These are only $36 shipped. I like to see what is behind me, despite the blurriness that will arise once I accelerate. :eusa_dance:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-unive...x?skuId=138149&filterid=c14469d58497y1998u0j1
Not bad mirrors if that is what you like. I can also order them for you to & could do them for a bit cheaper than that.

Remember that any mirrors you buy need to be Yamaha-specific as the Yamaha mirrors have a reverse-thread on one side. There are adapters made to convert the reverse-thread side to 'everyone'else's' thread, but you may not like the way the adapter looks. It would open-up the alternatives, though.

Welcome aboard ! That thing looks pretty wild without the rear fender but totally hooligan :biglaugh: Good luck with it

You are going to have a ball with that bike. I know Sean (one2dmax) http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ros...2488678?ref=ts had a bunch of nice mirrors (used I believe) for sale cheap. I would check those out. He also has oem parts and my have some good parts as "take offs" that he can send you.

By now I'm sure you have spotted the section where rides are posted. Of course not many will be posted this time of year, but keep an eye out. I'm sure you will also "meet" some other vmaxers on here that are close to you.

I took a few "v-max" rides last fall- much more fun then rides for those other bikes. Welcome and enjoy

Remember that any mirrors you buy need to be Yamaha-specific as the Yamaha mirrors have a reverse-thread on one side. There are adapters made to convert the reverse-thread side to 'everyone'else's' thread, but you may not like the way the adapter looks. It would open-up the alternatives, though.

I had not realized this. Thanks for the heads up!

Not bad mirrors if that is what you like. I can also order them for you to & could do them for a bit cheaper than that.

PM sent!

I vaguely recall hearing this....THANKS!

You are going to have a ball with that bike. I know Sean (one2dmax) http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ros...2488678?ref=ts had a bunch of nice mirrors (used I believe) for sale cheap. I would check those out. He also has oem parts and my have some good parts as "take offs" that he can send you.

By now I'm sure you have spotted the section where rides are posted. Of course not many will be posted this time of year, but keep an eye out. I'm sure you will also "meet" some other vmaxers on here that are close to you.

I took a few "v-max" rides last fall- much more fun then rides for those other bikes. Welcome and enjoy

Glad to hear it. I will certainly be all over this forum, especially as the weather warms up. 44 and sunny tomorrow...too bad I have reserve duty. :bang head:

I've watched a few of my friends ride the local ponds when I lived in Flushing, MI (near Flint), a couple guys I know hang out and ride with Scott Parker. Another street riding buddy (Bob Goodroe) who also raced MX as a kid picked up Flat track/ ice racing 25 or so years ago and now has his 2 boys racing too; look for Tony and Michael Goodroe tearing up the local flat tracks in the future because they race ice/ dirt too.
Here is a video of Michael and freinds messing around on Houghton lake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qz16hdEVE

I've watched a few of my friends ride the local ponds when I lived in Flushing, MI (near Flint), a couple guys I know hang out and ride with Scott Parker. Another street riding buddy (Bob Goodroe) who also raced MX as a kid picked up Flat track/ ice racing 25 or so years ago and now has his 2 boys racing too; look for Tony and Michael Goodroe tearing up the local flat tracks in the future because they race ice/ dirt too.
Here is a video of Michael and freinds messing around on Houghton lake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qz16hdEVE

Wow, I could not do that!

What do you guys think of these? I assume the site is right and the VMax is a 10mm thread? I've never been a fan of small, odd shaped mirrors. These are only $36 shipped. I like to see what is behind me, despite the blurriness that will arise once I accelerate. :eusa_dance:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/emgo-unive...x?skuId=138149&filterid=c14469d58497y1998u0j1
I have those mirrors on my Max.I paid way less then that, $12Bucks a peace at my local cycle shop. :welcome_sign:to the VMF:biglaugh:

Attachments

• powder coating done.jpg
    powder coating done.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 32
I have those mirrors on my Max.I paid way less then that, $12Bucks a peace at my local cycle shop. :welcome_sign:to the VMF:biglaugh:

GREAT picture...exactly what I was hoping to see! These will be perfect. Thanks.

Also - beautiful VMax you have there. :punk:

I can't remember if I have these on hand but we can also sell them.

my experience w/Emgo stuff is yes, it's cheap, but the durability and finishes and service life are less than stock, or other replacement suppliers. I once got a pair for another bike & the friction fitting failed after about a year, they were just-like those new cars where when you reverse it, the heads angle-downwards. :damn angry: I happen to like the stock mirror heads, but the stems could be a bit-longer. I think a Virago has a same-style stem in a longer length.

What-happened w/the Emgo's, whenever I went above maybe 80, the mirror heads' unsupported ends would be forced-back, making them useless for seeing anything behind you, just when you need it most, to alert you to who may be gaining on-you. Also, the way the mirror was captured in the housing, tended-to also loosen-up, so the mirror glass head would vibrate at-speed. All-in-all, a poorly-designed, poorly-manufactured product.

Last edited:
Back