New air sytem for VMAX Help!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde4121

Reaction score
I have a project V MAX. When I bought the engine it was installed in an off roader. I pulled it out of that and sold the off roader as I only wanted the engine

Fast forward - the engine is now installed is in my car a modified triumph herald with a kit car fibre glass body. so far the conversion has been relatively straight forward (and engineer certified) I have always wanted a mini muscle car so i figured I'd use a v4 in a light chassis.

Questions - has anyone made a new air filter system? I have removed the stock air box as I don't want to cut a hole in the bonnet

I am thinking of using four 90 degree bends to create a side mounted air system either using pod filters or two separate air boxes (note: engine is now mounted east west in the chassis

If I have separate pod filters does it matter if they are unequal lengths? I am thinking of making the two rear units longer so that they have clear air

Can anyone help?

I have a project V MAX. When I bought the engine it was installed in an off roader. I pulled it out of that and sold the off roader as I only wanted the engine

Fast forward - the engine is now installed is in my car a modified triumph herald with a kit car fibre glass body. so far the conversion has been relatively straight forward (and engineer certified) I have always wanted a mini muscle car so i figured I'd use a v4 in a light chassis.

Questions - has anyone made a new air filter system? I have removed the stock air box as I don't want to cut a hole in the bonnet

I am thinking of using four 90 degree bends to create a side mounted air system either using pod filters or two separate air boxes (note: engine is now mounted east west in the chassis

If I have separate pod filters does it matter if they are unequal lengths? I am thinking of making the two rear units longer so that they have clear air

Can anyone help?

If you remove the box, your going to need air restricters put in the carbs, or the engine is going to run like ass.
Sounds like a perfect application for Morley's muscle kit. Shoot Sean ( one2dmax ) a message and I'm sure he'll be more then happy to hook you up.
Do you have any pictures of this beast?

Sounds like he doesn't have enough room for an airbox. He will need correctors but he can make any adapter from there that is needed if you want filtration. It won't maybe work as well as my kit but should still work decent.

Sean

As you noted in your email pics will be a very big help. If you have no room to clear the stock airbox then my jet kit will not work. We should be able to help you get it running anyway.

In a car chassis like you have I might have some very cool carbs to work on it. They are sidedraft edlebrock carbs!

Sean

Me like!
What are you doing about reverse? or are you?

I'm looking at your pictures, but I can't really tell hood clearance. Could you use pvc pipe to duct them to the front of the car? sort of a home made cold air induction contraption.

To explain reverse

The mechanical layout is VMAX engine to short drive shaft then
inline Quaife reverse gearbox then another longer drive shaft
to the diff.

The Quaife reverse gearbox is a neat little gearbox that in
normal running mode acts as a straight through drive shaft
coupling but when engaged splits the drive shaft and allows
the forward motion of the engine to be put through a
mechanical u. This mechanical u allows the front drive shaft
to turn in one diretion, and the rear drive shaft to turn in
a reverse direction. I am using the standard V Max gearbox
for forward motion.

Pretty neat project... looks like to COP (Coil On Plug) mod may be good for you to help keep things clean. Keep us posted with your progress.

Jeff

To explain reverse

The mechanical layout is VMAX engine to short drive shaft then
inline Quaife reverse gearbox then another longer drive shaft
to the diff.

The Quaife reverse gearbox is a neat little gearbox that in
normal running mode acts as a straight through drive shaft
coupling but when engaged splits the drive shaft and allows
the forward motion of the engine to be put through a
mechanical u. This mechanical u allows the front drive shaft
to turn in one diretion, and the rear drive shaft to turn in
a reverse direction. I am using the standard V Max gearbox
for forward motion.
That's very interesting. I never knew about such a thing.
You gotta spare one laying around? I need one of those for my four wheeler! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

NZ is a fantastic place to live, I live in the north island in Auckland which is the unoffical capital. I have had 16 or so bikes and three major off's. My last ride was about a month ago, when I donated a classic Suzuki to the museum. A three day ride on great back roads 4-5 hours on the first two days and about two hours on the last day. We have fantastic roads for touring, especially the south island. I have done two major tours on my VTR1000F firestorm.

Very curious about the coil on plug option, do you have any close up photos?
This thread may help for that. There are others in here, but this is the only one that I really remember. There was another a few days ago using Mitsubitzi coils.

That's very interesting. I never knew about such a thing.
You gotta spare one laying around? I need one of those for my four wheeler! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

No unfortunatly. I had to get mine from England. There can be a wait of several months, as they only make them in batches of 10 and only when they are all presold. It cost about $1000 US.

I looked at other options such as putting a one way bearing with a ring gear type sprocket sleeved onto the outside of the bearing. This one way bearing is mounted onto and at the rear of the drive shaft.

running beside the drive shaft but furthur back (from where the bearing is mounted on the drive shaft) is an old starter motor. to engage reverse the starter motor is powered via a momentary switch via relay. The starter motor throws out its pinion and engages the ring gear turning the drive shaft backwards.

the one way bearing allows the bearing to free wheel in normal conditions. When the starter motor is engaged it locks the bearing and turns the driveshaft in the oppisite direction. for safety an electrical lockout would disengage the engine before allowing the starter to operate.

This idea was abandoned as falling into the too hard basket after discovering the quaife box, and so remains as far as I know just a concept. There are all sorts of flaws and too many unknowns.

Others have mounted car flywheels onto drive shafts and used the same theory with a car starter motor. I have read about one on another web site. All I can say to that is it would be deadly if it came loose and there would be no way I would do it

I forgot the link in my last post. See if this helps for the COPs
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5427

I was kidding about the four wheeler. I won't spend 1200 bucks to make the thing back up. Hell, all I have to do is twist the bars, hit full throttle, and dump the clutch. The rear tires will be pointing the other way in just a second. ;)

Night Kiwi. (morning to you, I believe) gotta crash for work tomorrow. I do want to see updates on your car though. It looks like something I'd do to an Opal/Busa.

Just received all the goodies I bought off Sean today. Talk about Christmas coming early! I will be really looking forward to fitting the new performance parts. All going well I might even be able to drive the beast in early January.

Have to say a really big thank you to Sean, as he has solved multiple issues and progressed my build by providing some great solutions.

Remember to post up pics. If you or the fabricator have questions on what to do with the valve cover hoses or anything else I sent please ask.

Sean

As you noted in your email pics will be a very big help. If you have no room to clear the stock airbox then my jet kit will not work. We should be able to help you get it running anyway.

In a car chassis like you have I might have some very cool carbs to work on it. They are sidedraft edlebrock carbs!

Sean

Have visited the car today and progress has been made! Headers are almost completed and look damn awesome. they bend away 180 degrees from what is now the front of the motor (previously the side) and run along the motor over the water pump housing (and replicated on the other side). I will get some pics up next week.

The steering is now half done. the coloum had to be shifted over to clear the waterpump (right hand drive) so the dash has been cut to accomodate. . When the herald was originally built it had a rigid steering coloum and if the driver was unlucky in a head on crash the coloum whould be driven like a spear through his chest. it now has a couple of universal joints so should be much safer. I was lucky to find that the same steering rack was carried over to later models, and some of these featured the universal joints so the splines are all correct. ( Mk2 Triumph 2000)

The first driveshaft has now been completed

the clutch plumbed in. the clutch is a bit dodgy as it uses the original triumph herald clutch master. I hope it will work but i dont know for sure. it might need custom work to sleeve it to the same bore as the Yamaha slave

Hope you had a great Christmas - I know it is now PC to say happy holidays but what the hell - some traditions should not be changed

Have a great new years and will post pics soon

Last edited:
Ok So an update on the VMAX in car - loads of work, but little progress. In my haste to get things moving I towed the car, without disconnecting the rear drive shaft. Result destroyed internals in reversing gearbox. These have been repaired and I am slowly paying off the kings ransom.

Still working on air filter system - plan a failed onto about plan k now

Have made all new mounts using Toyata Camry suspension bushes as engine isolators. Have a new steering from a honda civic, and now upgrading brake master from a nissan Primera

In the process I have destroyed the starter motor (internals reduced to carbon rubble)

Also replumbing the engine - All engine wiring is now done

Project VMAX MGTE is alive and will be likely to roll around the end of 2011

Jobs to do

New starter motor Vmax, new thermostat, and new cover

Fix cam cap (still have yet to get around to that)

Complete new dash

Reinstall reverse gear box

complete brakes

Start second wiring loom for all the lights (fairly basic loom)

Back