New here, hopefully a Vmax owner on Saturday

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoploss

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Been watching the forum since 2007 and might be a new Vmax owner soon.

I'm in the DFW Tx area, currently own an 06 VTX 1800F since 2008 and had a VStar 650 previous to that.

I've found a black 06 Vmax with 7,000 miles for $6,400. Will most likely be trading my VTX in for the Max considering negotiation and condition of the Max.

I've just read through about 30 threads where others have asked for buying tips and the only lingering question I have is regarding the second gear slipping issue. I believe I saw in another searched thread that Yamaha fixed that issue in 99 or thereabouts, is this still something I should be concerned with? I only ask because in this area most dealers are hesitant on test rides, and for the most part I'm ok with no test ride, but don't want a slipping tranny.

Are there any other things I should look for: fork seals, carb jetting, etc..?

From the pics, it appears the Vmax has Supertrapp slip ons, black crash bars, fairly new Metzler rear tire, fairly new Bridgstone front tire, 7086 miles and overall appears to be well cared for. I'll verify that once in person.

Thanks and Semper Fi!

Every year can have a bad trans. Depends on how it was ridden and shifted. This doesn't mean only drag raced ones will have a bad or worn trans. You basically need to warm it up, run it hard, shift it hard, and see how it does.

Sean

Second gear 'slipping' is more of an issue of, "jumping out of gear on hard acceleration." "Slipping" is what happens when your clutch is worn and happens most-often in the higher gears as an evident characteristic.

If the dealer won't let you ride it to test for jumping-out of 2nd, have his rider show you that when shifting from 1st to second, and then leaving it in 2nd, and accelerating to close to redline, that the engine doesn't jump-out of 2nd gear. Believe me, you will know about two seconds after he shifts if it has a 2nd gear issue.

Dealers are probably reluctant to warranty a VMax used because of knowing that owners are likely to hammer it. As for the 7000 miles, "a quarter-mile up the strip, a quarter-mile down the strip, = 1/2 mile; 7000 miles/0.5 miles=14,000 "strip-trips." Maybe there's your "jumping-out of gear," or "slipping clutch," for good reason!

Seriously, if you've been doing the search for buyers' tips, and the 2nd gear issue, you already know what to look-for. Just don't be in too-much of a hurry to buy, and don't be afraid to walk-away if you don't like some aspect of the deal. I would say, that $6400 for a used VMax w/7K miles, is towards the top of the market around here in FL.

The Supertrapps shouldn't require rejetting. Open the airbox and see if the prior owner installed a K & N OEM size pleated air filter, or if it has the stock paper air filter. You can probably count on buying a battery soon if it's managed to last this long w/o replacement. When that day comes, do yourself a favor and get a Ballistic lithium-ion battery, lose 5 lbs. and nearly twice the CCA! People here also like the Odyssey, which is cheaper, but isn't a Li-ion.

My tip for best improvement in ride, handling, and safety? Get either a 17" or 18" rear wheel, and change to radials. Lose all-kinds of handling issues, real or imagined, from this swap. You can use the stock front wheel, it's not optimal, but going to radials will make the bike handle much-better. Once you try it, you'll never want to go-back.

Get the best-quality helmet they have for yourself, and maybe a leather jacket, and see if they will order and install a pair of radial tires w/a new rear wheel, that should eat-up $2K quickly!

Last edited:
Second gear 'slipping' is more of an issue of, "jumping out of gear on hard acceleration." "Slipping" is what happens when your clutch is worn and happens most-often in the higher gears as an evident characteristic.

If the dealer won't let you ride it to test for jumping-out of 2nd, have his rider show you that when shifting from 1st to second, and then leaving it in 2nd, and accelerating to close to redline, that the engine doesn't jump-out of 2nd gear. Believe me, you will know about two seconds after he shifts if it has a 2nd gear issue.

Dealers are probably reluctant to warranty a VMax used because of knowing that owners are likely to hammer it. As for the 7000 miles, "a quarter-mile up the strip, a quarter-mile down the strip, = 1/2 mile; 7000 miles/0.5 miles=14,000 "strip-trips." Maybe there's your "jumping-out of gear," or "slipping clutch," for good reason!

Seriously, if you've been doing the search for buyers' tips, and the 2nd gear issue, you already know what to look-for. Just don't be in too-much of a hurry to buy, and don't be afraid to walk-away if you don't like some aspect of the deal. I would say, that $6400 for a used VMax w/7K miles, is towards the top of the market around here in FL.

The Supertrapps shouldn't require rejetting. Open the airbox and see if the prior owner installed a K & N OEM size pleated air filter, or if it has the stock paper air filter. You can probably count on buying a battery soon if it's managed to last this long w/o replacement. When that day comes, do yourself a favor and get a Ballistic lithium-ion battery, lose 5 lbs. and nearly twice the CCA! People here also like the Odyssey, which is cheaper, but isn't a Li-ion.

My tip for best improvement in ride, handling, and safety? Get either a 17" or 18" rear wheel, and change to radials. Lose all-kinds of handling issues, real or imagined, from this swap. You can use the stock front wheel, it's not optimal, but going to radials will make the bike handle much-better. Once you try it, you'll never want to go-back.

Great information, much appreciated!

Yeah, I need to figure something out with the price. While that price is towards the top (as expected from a dealership), my bike is worth about $2000 more so I doubt the dealer will do a trade plus cash to me, maybe riding gear but doubtful they will cough up cash.

While I've wanted a Vmax for a VERY long time, I'm certainly in no hurry to depart with my VTX if I have concerns or price disagreements with the dealer. We shall see.

Here's a couple pics of my VTX.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 65
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 60
i imagine it'd also save u from paying any sales tax? what about a private party sale if they short u $2k +

We do get them from time to time and a low mile 2006-2006 should bring around that or maybe a little less depending on how clean it is. It's not likely going to have many problems with that low mileage as long as it's running (the biggest issue with a low mile bike).

These bikes are reasonably durable but they won't take regular drag strip beatings like a sportbike would.

Sean

Are you on the TexasXriders board as well? I was on there for a few years before I sold my VTX and moved up here to Fort Worth (from Houston). Let me know if you get the Max. Mine has a bad 2nd gear that will be getting worked on by March. We should meet up. There are at least a couple other Dallas guys on here, I think.

Good luck. Like the other guys said, you're already aware of what to look for.

You can save a couple grand easy by selling your bike on your own, and buying a VMAX from a private owner. I wouldn't trust a dealership at all, and you certainly aren't going to get a good price, after all, their job is to get every penny from you that they possibly can. Just some food for thought..........

Hey Stoploss, nice VTX! Always kinda wanted to give one of those a try, what is the range on the tank on that bike? Heard good things about it, met plenty of folks who have run them upwards of 60-70k miles and still strong. Seem to be pretty tough, I can't for the life of me figure out why it got canned however many years ago...?

I used to have an '06 VTX 1800 and while it was a nice bike I definitely prefer the VMAX. The VTX is 'just another cruiser' where I have found the VMAX to be a completely different riding experience from everything else I have owned. I hope things work out for you and you are able to be riding your VMAX soon!

i imagine it'd also save u from paying any sales tax? what about a private party sale if they short u $2k +

Yeah, the dealer is trying to get me to pay TTL, I won't though. An even trade would benefit them more than me, yet they still try to milk it. Not optimistic at tis point.

Technically I've had it for sale since August but its not the best time for private party sales, and I'm not going to give the bike away since its been paid off for a couple years. I've had a few low-ball offers but nothing serious.

Are you on the TexasXriders board as well? I was on there for a few years before I sold my VTX and moved up here to Fort Worth (from Houston). Let me know if you get the Max. Mine has a bad 2nd gear that will be getting worked on by March. We should meet up. There are at least a couple other Dallas guys on here, I think.

Good luck. Like the other guys said, you're already aware of what to look for.

I'm not but will check it out! Thanks!

You can save a couple grand easy by selling your bike on your own, and buying a VMAX from a private owner. I wouldn't trust a dealership at all, and you certainly aren't going to get a good price, after all, their job is to get every penny from you that they possibly can. Just some food for thought..........

I'm not a fan of the "dealership experience," but figure what the heck. If they don't play (which they haven't yet) I'll just keep trying to sell privately into the spring.

My goal is a 2009+ Vmax but since my VTX is paid off, I like the idea of not having another bike note which I'd have to do for a 2009+ Max, even if I sell the VTX privately.

Hey Stoploss, nice VTX! Always kinda wanted to give one of those a try, what is the range on the tank on that bike? Heard good things about it, met plenty of folks who have run them upwards of 60-70k miles and still strong. Seem to be pretty tough, I can't for the life of me figure out why it got canned however many years ago...?

Thanks! Supposedly the tank holds 4.5 gallons with a range of 150ish miles. I only ride in the city and sometimes twist the wick, so I usually fill up right at 100 miles and usually put in about 3.5 gallons so the 4.5 is probably accurate, I'm just OCD about getting gas.

It's a bullet proof bike, torque monster, but not near as fast as the Max, 1st or 2nd gen. It's a heavy bike and smooth rider, the biggest complaint is the 2-pin crankshaft, it sounds more like a car than a bike, but its so loud it still sounds nice. I'm not real sure why they stopped production...I can tell you though, my wife works for Honda and they have an ass-backwards way of conducting business, so who knows.

I used to have an '06 VTX 1800 and while it was a nice bike I definitely prefer the VMAX. The VTX is 'just another cruiser' where I have found the VMAX to be a completely different riding experience from everything else I have owned. I hope things work out for you and you are able to be riding your VMAX soon!

Thanks Tex85, I sure hope so too, we shall see!

This sounds like a good deal, pretty close to you:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/3554207105.html

Half the price (probably even-less than asking), same-mileage, a bit older, but no real reasons not to buy one this old? I would look at this one in a heartbeat, and $3K will do a lot of Mod Monkey appeasement! I would throw some radials\Carrozzerias from Sean onto that so-quick, the Monkey wouldn't have time to shake his red baboon butt in my face! And you'd still have $ left-over for a Li-Fe 'snob' battery, and anything-else you wanted to replace!
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...ai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

Back