**New Kosman 18" Weldup Wheel**

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpc187

Reaction score
Sandy has just built this wheel for me! It is an OEM wheel that has been widened. To my knowledge this is the first wheel built by Sandy in this fashion. He previously built the bolt up 17" wheel and is now thinking of going with all weldup wheels for the Vmax. No longer producing the boltup? It is an 18" x 5.5" and very professionally created! Very pleased with the workmanship and customer service, will post more pics after paint and installation. Anyone ever powdercoat a rear wheel with the rubber drive dampers still installed?

Attachments

• DSC01640.JPG
    DSC01640.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01646.JPG
    DSC01646.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC01649.JPG
    DSC01649.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I dont like the 2 different colors, nor an 18in due to extra weight and not as many choices in tires as the 17in.

But Kossman does great work and they take pride in there qaulity.
I am curious to the offset, once you have mounted on the bike can you take a picture from the rear centered?

I am curious to the offset, once you have mounted on the bike can you take a picture from the rear centered?

From what they were telling me on the phone, the offset for the 17" conversion I want will be the same as stock, and being I'm using a double-notched swingarm the tire will center up nicely.

Looks great, looking forward to seeing on the bike - like yankee said, post some pics from behind centered.

Mike

Yeah, I am painting the whole thing black. The wheel is actually not to heavy at all. The shipping weight on the UPS box said 23lbs and that includes the box and shipping materials. I just perfer the look of the 18" over a 17". Plus what I have heard, it keeps the bike feeling pretty stock RPM wise compared to the 17". Anyway, I always run Metz tires and they make a radial for the Vrod that will fit perfect. Thanks for comments!

I have the 18" bolt-up version and am happy with it. It is not offset to the right as much as others and looks better from behind. However, I cannot use a 180/55-18 tire and had to do the washer swap with a 170/60-18. The tire rubs the left side of the swingarm even with the 170/60 tire (before washer swap). Don't know if the offset on the weld-up will be the same though.

If you get the 17" wheel, it will not go as far up into the swingarm and tire fitment may be better. The swingarm gets narrower the closer you get to the pivot.

You may have a good point with the 18in filling in the rear better than the 17in. Thats part of the reason why I havent upgraded yet, One most of the offsets I see look horrible, and 2 it just doesnt look right on the bike IMO. So maybe your 18 will fill it in nicely and keep that same look.
Spend the extra money and POWERCOAT the wheel. Paint is old school now with the technoligy we have. If you lived closer I would tell ya to just bring it to me and I would do it for free. I have plenty of high gloss black powder coat left over.
The weld beads look 1st class I like Kossman products I just wish they made more for the VMAX, until than we will just have to settle on Taylormade stuff and pay that high dollar cost for perfection

Yeah, I am painting the whole thing black. The wheel is actually not to heavy at all. The shipping weight on the UPS box said 23lbs and that includes the box and shipping materials. I just perfer the look of the 18" over a 17". Plus what I have heard, it keeps the bike feeling pretty stock RPM wise compared to the 17". Anyway, I always run Metz tires and they make a radial for the Vrod that will fit perfect. Thanks for comments!

I actually want to go with powdercoat but am not sure how to extract the rubber dampers that are pressed in. I have tried to mess with them a little but they dont seem like they are going to come out very easy. Im pretty sure they wont withstand that type temperature. A local powder coater told me 350-400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I think this may be a little too hot for the rubber. So I was going to see if I could find some one that could bake on an automotive finish on (around 150-200 degrees). Thanks for the offer on the coating, thats pretty awesome for you to even consider!

The center rubbers have survived on all the wheels we have done. They even survive chroming!

Sean

The center rubbers have survived on all the wheels we have done. They even survive chroming!

Sean

Do you own or work at a powdercoating facility? If so, about how many wheels have survived powder coating without damage to the rubber dampers? Well, if they are not going to cause a problem I will definitly go with powdercoat. Anyone esle have their wheel powder coated with the rubber dampers installed?? I was under the impression that they would melt or become damaged in some way? Let me know

We have done 3 rears with them in so far in the coater and 2 in the chromer.

The chromer is the harshest on them and they eat a little of the ribber away but still leave 90% in place and intact so they still do the job.

Not saying our folks don't do it a bit differently - who knows.

Sean

Well Sean says it can hold up to heat in the oven.

During my first process its in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes to release all the gases out of the metal.
It than gets wiped down with 99.8% alcohol and back in the oven this step is repeated until I feel it is clean and than 400 to get preheated before the powder is applied. Chrome powder coat only gets a max temp of 315-325 depending on the metal.

I am not sure how well rubber holds up to this temp?:confused2:

IMO I would buy some rubber pieces how much can they cost? 25.00?
Remove the ones you have, and have the rim powder coated. If you are going to have it painted I would have atleast 2-3 coats of clear applied over the paint.

[/quote] IMO I would buy some rubber pieces how much can they cost? 25.00?
Remove the ones you have, and have the rim powder coated. [/quote]

I am not worried about the cost of them, its how the heck to get them out? Did you ever remove these before? I guess there is some type of extracting tool needed to remove them? Maybe I will research a little more, call the dealer and see if they ever messed with any. Thanks

Again, you do not need to remove them. The rubber in mine showed no change from before and after powdercoating.

I have taken them out when we first chromed a wheel then at the same time we did a set of peg brackets. There is a small version of the wheels rubber isolater in the area where the muffler mounts. This one survived so we decided to try some other parts. If it melts down in the coater it will be easier to remove as the center will be gone. I can tell you this, its a royal pain in the butt to get them out. Not so bad installing them.

The chroming acid is harsher on them then coating is but they are still plenty useable.

I've got a brand new set of the cushions on hand that haven't been used since we found out they hold up fine. Also, there are new coating processes where you can even coat plastic!

Sean Morley

I have taken them out when we first chromed a wheel then at the same time we did a set of peg brackets. There is a small version of the wheels rubber isolater in the area where the muffler mounts. This one survived so we decided to try some other parts. If it melts down in the coater it will be easier to remove as the center will be gone. I can tell you this, its a royal pain in the butt to get them out. Not so bad installing them.

The chroming acid is harsher on them then coating is but they are still plenty useable.

I've got a brand new set of the cushions on hand that haven't been used since we found out they hold up fine. Also, there are new coating processes where you can even coat plastic!

Sean Morley

Perfect example right here! http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/06/22/all-chrome-r1/

The rubber dampers survived powdercoating! The wheel is now all gloss black and soon I will mount up the tire. I am going to install it within the next week or so. I will post more pics.

something about experience allows a few with the knowledge to say "I told you so"

Sean

Back