New liscense plates coming to a town near you.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
Well I lost my old liscense plate / tag last weekend I guess and had to go to my local county building to get another one. When I got the new plate I noticed a bar code on it about 1/4 in wide and about 2.5 inches long yes I am talking about my liscense plate and not my _)^%:rofl_200:

Anyways back on a serious note here I asked "what is that barcode" She was like well in the future police will have barcode scanners in there car and all they have to do it point it at the barcode and it will give them all the information they need.
I was thinking to myself, hmm I bet its cause all the bikes here run from the cops and they arent able to get close enough to get the plate number....
Well, guess what I did to that nice little barcode as soon as I got home,, Yupp reached my hand in a mud puddle and dripped a few drops over a few lines on that barcode, let her dry in the sun and presto PRICE CHECK ON THE BLK VMAX.

FTP!!!

How many of you guys have barcodees on your plates?

I've never heard of a bar code on a license plate. And that would have to be a pretty powerful scanner to read the bar code from any distance away. I've used those self check out counters in stores and the bar code reader isn't very powerful. I'd be more worried about when they build in RFIDs into plates. That will make running a lot harder.

It's for up close, after the stop. Just like some of the DL's have a bar code on them to be swiped by the computer in the cop's cruiser.

I was thinking that would have to be the case, KJ. I mean really...how many times have we seen a cashier with that same gun have to move that laser all over the bar code in order to read it properly?

There's no way you could do that with the bike moving. No way.

Regards,
Tom

Mine has a bar code on it. (NV). I'm not too concerned about it - mainly b/c my days from speeding the majority of the time and running from cops is over.

Besides, the barcode makes it easier for the cops to do their job, which aside from the hassle of getting tickets ourselves, does help them catch the *real* criminals.

I just saw a news special a while back about what they are doing here in Minnesota. The cops have a camera on top of the car and it reads the plate numbers and automaticaly runs the plats. Basically another set of eyes with better sight.
I forget how the camera was controlled. this thing scanned plates automatically and ran the numbers then it alerted the cop if anything came up. the cop didnt have to do anything but drive. he didnt have to aim it at any particular vehicle.

I just saw a news special a while back about what they are doing here in Minnesota. The cops have a camera on top of the car and it reads the plate numbers and automaticaly runs the plats. Basically another set of eyes with better sight.
I forget how the camera was controlled. this thing scanned plates automatically and ran the numbers then it alerted the cop if anything came up. the cop didnt have to do anything but drive. he didnt have to aim it at any particular vehicle.

Its a cool system, it was originally designed for locating stolen vehicles. now you can tie in other databases to the scanner. It's not being used for speeding or other traffic violations. But as for a locator for stolen vehicles, vehicles used in abductions, and other crimes its a great tool.

Here is an example of what it does for stolen vehicles.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-07-17-license-plate-reader_x.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4

I am betting the bar code is there so that the State can track what plate is on what vehicle during the stop, not for long distance reading from cop cars before the stop.

If they stop you they can quickly scan the barcode and it will tell them without a radio check if it is supposed to be on that bike or car.

:banana:

Yupp another way for our goverment to track us and what we do.
It wont be long before we have barcodes. Screw em, mine is now unreadable.
Geeeee Mista Ozzz A Fur, I dont know whats wrong with it:ummm:

Latest posts

Back