New member & have seat & grip ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
Hello Everybody, New V Max owner here. I just purchased my 06 a few weeks ago & really love the bike. Just can't seem to get off of it. The day I picked up my bike, I had the pleasure of meeting Jay Gleason. He was at the shop when I was doing the paperwork. Great man with many suggestions that were helpful. He also gave me an email address for his PR person who has put together a DVD of many of his tests that he did when he was testing the V Max. Cool DVD!!
I have read allot of posts here on the forum & found allot of useful & helpful information. Thanks everybody for sharing.
I do want to ask everybody what you are doing for a seat replacement? I looked at the Corbin seats, but I am not sure if I like the access into the fuel tank. Plus appears to me that with the Corbin, you loose the storage under the second seat area, along with a small fuel opening. Any input on this? How comfortable is the Corbin? Is it worth the money?
I also was looking at the UFO Starfighter seats. I do seem to like this better, except for the fact of having to give up stock seat. How is the material quality of these seats? Comfort?
Anybody have a stock seat for sale?

Next let's talk about grips. What has everybody been changing there's with?
I like the idea of a gel grip to lessen vibration & fatigue. I was thinking of these grips... http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2925
Anybody using these? Ideas welcomed.

Thanks Kevin

Welcome to the site Kevin and congrats on the purchase of your '06.

Re: Talk to Sean Morley about a seat, many on here have done so and the reports are positive. His site is at the top of this page-Morley's Muscle.

hi,
I'm also in FL, albeit in the mid part - Tampa & Orlando.

I have a Corbin (older style I believe) on my '86. Having never had the original seat, it's hard for me to compare, but here's what I feel about mine:
- I like the looks of it, it completes the rest of the bike nicely :biglaugh:
- don't mind the velcro flap over the fuel opening - functional, although no locking cap :confused2:
- comfort is ok, but not great - only good for about an hour. I believe this has a lot to do with the fact that my seat was (factory?) modded to be as low as possible, making the padding too thin for my taste :damn angry:
- it also came with a good size sissy bar/pad, which my wife appreciated and wants on when we ride together, BUT a) I always have it off as I hate the looks of it and b) in the middle back of the passenger piece of the seat, there's a metal piece (where the sissy bar attaches with an allen bolt) that makes the passenger seat very uncomfortable as it digs right in your collarbone! :bang head:
- the whole seat comes off as one piece by removing two allen bolts - one on each side. That makes removal/refitting very quick and easy, but you need to carry that allen key.

Since I'm tall enough (6'2") I would love to have a go at the 'normal'-shaped Corbin to try it for size and comfort. I'm also wondering about the stock seat setup, but have read many times that it isn't very comfy. I have no storage issue as I have FatMax hard bags.

So overall, that Corbin seat is not very good I'm afraid. Without the metal sissy bar holder and better padding at the front though, it could be perfect.

I'm confused by the fact that you're asking if anyone has a stock seat for sale - what's on your bike right now? :ummm:

When it comes to grips, I have these plain large diameter black high density foam ones fitted. I hate them and find them very fatiguing very quickly. Even though I have big hands, I think the fatigue is mostly triggered by their large diameter (a good 1 1/2") as I don't feel that vibes are much of an issue.
I'm thinking of replacing them with standard size real black rubber ones.

Sorry not very positive on what I have, but at least it can help you knowing what NOT to do lol.. And if you ever ride closer to my area, we could swap rides and see how we feel about each other's seat setup - let me know!

We do rework the seats and need a core or can sell one outright. I do have a like new Corbin in the newer style that actually has more access then stock to the fuel cap. In my opinion the Corbins are big and bulky and very hard. Some like them like that I guess. We do rework them too but that's an additional cost. Email me directly for pics if you like.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

Next let's talk about grips. What has everybody been changing there's with?
I like the idea of a gel grip to lessen vibration & fatigue. I was thinking of these grips... http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2925
Anybody using these? Ideas welcomed.

Kevin

First of all welcome to the forum... I have these grips on my 92 max. I baught the bike with them on it, so I don't have anything to compare them to, but I like them alot.

I change my grips on a regular occasion. I guess I am a grip freak!! I have used grips for jet skis, dirt bikes, bicycles (Mushroom) anybody remember them? LOL
I like dirt bike grips such as Scott due to they have a good grip to them. I dont like a fat grip even though I have long fingers. I wear gloves all the time when I ride for more grip.
You can basically use any style grip you like or prefer.
I prefer a soft tacky grip that works well with gloves just do to my radical hard riding style....

As far as seats go. I used my stock seat when I first bought my VMAX in 2000 and hated it anc couldnt stand to be on it any longer than an hour!
I knew a guy here in TN that had a Corbin and tried his out, which sucked also for feel and I just didnt like the pattern of material.
I shopped online and liked the look of the starfighter seat that flat lowered look.
I went to an Upolstrey Shop here in Nashville and brought my 3 pieces with me. I talked to the owner and along had a pic of the starfighter seat printed off. I asked him if he could make this seat look like this, NO PROBLEM he told me. He walked me to the back and said pick the material that you want. I picked out this black leather looking materail and a few days later he called me to say its ready.
I was amazed at the qaulity and workmanship that he performed and it cost me under $150.00 to do all 3 pieces. It still looks as it did when I picked it up 6 yrs ago. I love the feel of the seat, its night and day difference between that horse saddle OEM seat that Yamaha designed.
Chop the seat and get a set of drag bars and you will really love riding your VMAX around!!!
You can either take this route or contact morley.

Great info Lankee - I think that's the route I'm gonna take to get my Corbin sorted - trip to the upholstery shop is in order :eusa_dance:

Thanks for the info. I have read allot of good things about Morley seats, & I think that I am going that route. Just waiting to see some more pictures from him.
Anybody else have grip suggestions?

With grips its personal taste.
The best bet is to go to your local motorcycle, jetski dealer and goto the grip aisle and start feeling them up kinda like a woman in the produce aisle of a grocery store.

Chop the seat and get a set of drag bars and you will really love riding your VMAX around!!!

Lankey told me to get some drag bars awhile back and it has made a huge difference in the riding (leaning a little into the wind and not being a parachute), and the look. I've had several people lately ask me if I have a new bike because it looks so much sleaker....

I would also suggest the Morley seat. I have been on the corbin, UFO and Morley seats. I can't say anything about the stock because I have never ridden on a bike with one. The corbin wasn't very nice to my ass. The UFO looks really nice, but it crushes my balls a little. The Morley seat was by far the best of all three. I have a UFO on my bike cause thats what it came with. I would rather have a Morley and will probably be getting one this winter.

Yeah this is worth every dollar if you cant find some 48 in ape hangers (they were my first choice) but I settled with the drag bars instead!:rofl_200:

These should be on top of your list of a new stock VMAX.
Dragbars
Seat Mod

Lankey told me to get some drag bars awhile back and it has made a huge difference in the riding (leaning a little into the wind and not being a parachute), and the look. I've had several people lately ask me if I have a new bike because it looks so much sleaker....

I change my grips on a regular occasion. I guess I am a grip freak!! I have used grips for jet skis, dirt bikes, bicycles (Mushroom) anybody remember them? LOL
I like dirt bike grips such as Scott due to they have a good grip to them. I dont like a fat grip even though I have long fingers. I wear gloves all the time when I ride for more grip.
You can basically use any style grip you like or prefer.
I prefer a soft tacky grip that works well with gloves just do to my radical hard riding style....

As far as seats go. I used my stock seat when I first bought my VMAX in 2000 and hated it anc couldnt stand to be on it any longer than an hour!
I knew a guy here in TN that had a Corbin and tried his out, which sucked also for feel and I just didnt like the pattern of material.
I shopped online and liked the look of the starfighter seat that flat lowered look.
I went to an Upolstrey Shop here in Nashville and brought my 3 pieces with me. I talked to the owner and along had a pic of the starfighter seat printed off. I asked him if he could make this seat look like this, NO PROBLEM he told me. He walked me to the back and said pick the material that you want. I picked out this black leather looking materail and a few days later he called me to say its ready.
I was amazed at the qaulity and workmanship that he performed and it cost me under $150.00 to do all 3 pieces. It still looks as it did when I picked it up 6 yrs ago. I love the feel of the seat, its night and day difference between that horse saddle OEM seat that Yamaha designed.
You can either take this route or contact morley.
HEA YANKEE , I WOULD'NT SAY YOUR A FREAK ............ WELL MAYBE , :rofl_200:BUT I'M WITH YOU ON THE GRIPS ! I ALSO LIKE THIN GRIPS & ALWAY'S WEAR GLOVES WHEN I RIDE, NO MATTER WHAT ! I DON'T LIKE FAT GRIPS BECAUSE I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE I'M HOLDING MY COCK & PISSING ! :rofl_200:

I'm also 100% with u guys - phat grips are all shite, and the only way to get what you want is go to the shop and have a feel of the merchandise!

Makes me a grip snobby too? :rofl_200::hmmm::wave bye:

Back