New Metzeler tires V rated

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site LeeMax! Thanks for the link, always good to have more options to buy tires from.
Quite a few active Vmaxers in your area that have rides posted on here. I'm sure they will be happy to add another Vmax to their rides! :thumbs up:

My 95 max had Metz 880s on it when I bought it. The rear is about ready to be replaced while the front has a considerable amount of tread left. The thing handles like a truck with no power steering. Will this improve with a new set? I usually run between 36-38 psi in them. Should I run a higher pressure? Also wondering if anyone thinks there is a better set or combo that will help the max turn in better in the curves.

GP

With the metz i put 40 at the back and 36 at the front.
I saw it as the recommended pressure from metzler, little bit higher than stock tires.
I feel quickly when my pressure is low, the bike doesn't handle the same.
I really notice a huge difference when I move it on neutral.

Just give it a try :)

For the curves, I'm not the expert but here is what I read here:
Metzler are not the most sticky ones, but they're the best all purpose tires.
Shinko are more sticky and cheaper but won't last as long.

Thanks D. I'll try the different pressures. Maybe I'll go with a new set of the 880s.

GP

From what I can see they're the same H-rated ME880's everyone else has...where's it show a V-rating? 170/80HB-15....

I've had my H rated(130mph) ME880's at 145-150 (wide open) for about 10 minutes continuously, with a plug in the rear tire. No issues.

I run the tires at the recommended pressure, it's on a sticker under the faux tank. Think it's 36 front and back.

From what I can see they're the same H-rated ME880's everyone else has...where's it show a V-rating? 170/80HB-15....

Agreed, in the 170/80-15, there doesn't appear to be a V-rated option. However, Metzeler does list, if I'm reading this right, a V rated option in the stock size of 150/80-15:

150/80 B 15 M/C 70V TL

Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from? :ummm:

Re: New Metzler tires V rated

My 95 max had Metz 880s on it when I bought it. The rear is about ready to be replaced while the front has a considerable amount of tread left. The thing handles like a truck with no power steering. Will this improve with a new set? I usually run between 36-38 psi in them. Should I run a higher pressure? Also wondering if anyone thinks there is a better set or combo that will help the max turn in better in the curves.

GP
i I USED TO RUN 33LBS & 33LBS NOW I RUN 30LBS & 30LBS , LITTLE WIDER CONTACT AREA & A LITTLE SOFTER RIDE ! .. SHIT , THE ENTIRE CASE OF THESE TIRES ON THESE BIKES ARE SO FRIGGING THICK , THEY'RE LIKE RUN FLATS ! ... PLUS " GOD " LOVES ME ! .. :confused2:.. :rofl_200:

Agreed, in the 170/80-15, there doesn't appear to be a V-rated option. However, Metzeler does list, if I'm reading this right, a V rated option in the stock size of 150/80-15:

150/80 B 15 M/C 70V TL

Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from? :ummm:

70V is the load or weight rating, I believe, not a speed rating.

Re: 70V is the load or weight rating, I believe, not a speed rating.

"V" should be the speed rating if I rember correctly...

mikE

There isn't too many choices for back tires for the Vmax and whatever is availiable isn't likely in stock. I like the Metzler's tread design since it doesn't have a groove down the center of the tire.

Indeed. It's really nice to see this tire in the recommended speed rating at last - it's defo a fave and they must be selling a bunch to Vmax owners! How many other bikes have a rear 150/90 that needs a V rating!?

Latest posts

Back