New rear 200/55-18

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Got my new rear installed yesterday, I had to loosen all the pumkin bolts and deflate the tire, grease it and hammer it in there with a rubber hammer to get it in. still have 3/8" clearance on both sides now.

Tire is an Avon AV72 in 200/55-18

Damn this thing is tall, I knew it was gonna be but didn't think it would be this noticeable.

The Venom R in 180/55-18 I was running was 25.5 inches tall from floor to top of tire with bike weight on it.

This new one is 27" tall.

It dropped my rpm's about 300 at 80 MPH, probably gonna screw up my alreay sucky 1/4 mile times but I got a long trip coming up so I'll probably like it anyway

Here you go...

Attachments

• DSC01539.jpg
    DSC01539.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01540.jpg
    DSC01540.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC01541.jpg
    DSC01541.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01542.jpg
    DSC01542.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC01543.jpg
    DSC01543.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 253
Now that looks good - I really like the way it fills in the undertail section.

Nice work!

Mike

Last edited:
Looks good Rusty. Where do you have your insp. sticker?

It's been at the inspection station waiting to be picked up for at least the last two years:biglaugh:

Seriously, it'll never be an issue unless I get pulled over for something else, which I never do, I need to get it done but just haven't had time......

It's been at the inspection station waiting to be picked up for at least the last two years:biglaugh:

Seriously, it'll never be an issue unless I get pulled over for something else, which I never do, I need to get it done but just haven't had time......

Last time i got stopped by the fuzz was in 89. Went cruising on my GS550 with opened up Vance & Hines at 2am. Pulled me over for excessive noise but ticketed me for expired insp.:ummm: Funny thing was it didn't expire for another 6 months. Went to court with plate in hand, cop was there, and judge asked him if he needed glasses:clapping:

Looks great Rusty, Now I can't wait til my swingarm comes in so I can put on my 200 :bang head:. UPS just isn't fast enough when your waiting for parts.:biglaugh:

Looks great!!!

Like the LED setup under the tail section also!!! Any photos of it lit up???

Neil

How did you get so much clearance? Especially on the shaft side. I just mounted my Metzeler 180 on a 18x5.5 on a stock swingarm and the tire is stuck on the shaft side. But there's a lot of room on the right side. I'm thinking about having a machine shop make me a bushing/spacer to go in the spline part of the diff to push the wheel over to the right. Do you guys think its a bad idea. You know how when installing the wheel you have to slide it onto the splines in the diff all the way. I want to put a spacer in there so the wheel stops early. Then it'll be more to the right.:ummm:

Excuse the mess in the background ;) I have 3800 GM cars all over! (I build cars for V-8 Archie in my spare time)

This is one of Tom's COO wheels and swing arms with a 200 shinko tire.

Neil

Attachments

• BarneyMax_06.jpg
    BarneyMax_06.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 93
I want to put a spacer in there so the wheel stops early. Then it'll be more to the right.:ummm:

That would be similiar to the washer swap, moving it much more than a washer swap would be a bad idea in my mind, there's only about 5/8" width (if that much) on those splines and moving it gives up mating surfaces.

Just my thought's tho'

As for how I got the clearance, here's how

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4341

Refer to the original post in the thread.

This also might help.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4316

Rusty

Looks great!!!

Like the LED setup under the tail section also!!! Any photos of it lit up???

Neil

Not really, but it came from custom dynamics, it's the half moon cateye. about $130.00.

It's not Vmax specific, I had to rig up a bracket to make it fit.

It also fits under the tail/fender on the stock fender quite nicely if your brave enough to take a sawzall or jigsaw and a cut-off wheel to all that crap hanging off the stock fender.

hi, there im a nb for vmax, and thinking to upgrade my rear tire to urs, from stock 150 -> 200, here's quick question for u, do u have to get a new swingarm to put in 200, or............ and dont wanna spend too much money.

thanks

breyton

hi, there im a nb for vmax, and thinking to upgrade my rear tire to urs, from stock 150 -> 200, here's quick question for u, do u have to get a new swingarm to put in 200, or............ and dont wanna spend too much money.

thanks

breyton

Yes and no. No you don't need to get a new one, but you do have to get your old one notched for the additional clearance, so you will probably have to send it off to be done if you can't do it yourself, and you will also need a wider rear rim for the new rubber.

Where you go for the swingarm work is your perogitive, some are running COO's, Morleys, etc... while others have done the work themselves.

However, you can put a 170 size shoe with minimal effort. Some have had to do the washer swap while others haven't. either way its a nothing on the effort meter to do.

Yes and no. No you don't need to get a new one, but you do have to get your old one notched for the additional clearance, so you will probably have to send it off to be done if you can't do it yourself, and you will also need a wider rear rim for the new rubber.

Where you go for the swingarm work is your perogitive, some are running COO's, Morleys, etc... while others have done the work themselves.

However, you can put a 170 size shoe with minimal effort. Some have had to do the washer swap while others haven't. either way its a nothing on the effort meter to do.

thanks for the input, how much are we looking at ???
site to notched ?
site for rim ??

thanks

thanks for the input, how much are we looking at ???
site to notched ?
site for rim ??

thanks

Rims are anywhere from $500-$800 +shipping depending on the wheel, aftermarket sets start from around $1600. As far as swingarm work, you'll have to get a hold of the person doing the work. I was lucky enough to pick up one of COO's double notched and braced swingarms for cheap from a bloke who was going in another direction with his max.

You might want to check out his site: http://www.cycleoneoff.com/ Or you can click on the "morley's muscle" link at the upper right of this page.

www.pcwracing.net , http://www.customvmaxservices.co.uk/

are a few that offer notching and bracing. If your wondering what the bracing does it tightens things up back there, improved handling, les flex are a couple of benefits from this mod.

Hey Rusty, do you have pics of how that rear section installs. We have one here that a customer brought but it looks like we are either missing parts or we have our heads up our butts.

Sean

Latest posts

Back