New to me Max and a few questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do go bad. They should be just as soft and pliable as the main slide rubbers are.

Carb parts are not cheap. All those little orings and such add up! Get what you need from Sean. You can also try boats.net as they're much cheaper than dealers.

Dale

So here is what the float bowls looked like.

Here is the inside of the cover.

And here are my carbs currently.

I would say get with Dannymax or Sean, and get the kits from them. If your uncertain of what to do, they will both give you great customer service. That looks like very fine rust. Its probably time to change the fuel filter as well.

Last edited:
I already changed the fuel filter and added a smaller filter between the pump and carbs. I am talking to Sean now about what I need. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Next I will have to find a way to sync them when I am done.

well there is the Vmax get together in Eureka springs at the end of may. You can get the sync close, by visual, and show up there, and someone will have a sync tool.

LOL...so I take it that you don't live in Fayetteville Arkansas? Eureka Springs is in Arkansas.

Well there are some Vmaxers in NC....and one of them might have a sync tool for you to borrow. If you buy one I would suggest the morgan carbtune.

A little bit high....but very easy to use, and worth the money.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Another update.

The parts from Sean came in. Got everything put back together and put them back on the bike. It's alive....

Finished all of the brake lines and got them bled finally.

Took her for a ride and it felt great. Have a few finishing touches but she is pretty good as is. I am really proud of my windscreen, when I got it from the PO it was cracked in two and taped back together. I got pretty good at fairing repairs on my R1.

I would like to thank everyone here for the guidance.

Went on a longer shakedown run and ran out of gas. Luckily I was only 2 miles from a friend's house so he brought a little gas. Took it to the gas station down the road. Put 3.9 gallons in the bike. Then the fuel pump pulled gas up to the filter between the fuel pump and carbs but wouldn't fill it. Cycled it several times and got gas to the carbs. Riding to my buddies house and got 2 houses from his place when it died again. Pushed it into his garage and pulled the seat and no fuel at the second filter again. Cycled it a few more times and got fuel thru the filter. Let it sit for 15 mins or so and fired it up. Let it idle until the fan kicked in then a few mins more. Cut it off and BS' d for a while. Fired it up and rode home. It rode great all the way home, about 12 miles. Also it was running great before it ran out of gas. The fuel light didn't come on but I have seen it before.

Changed the oil in her last night and found my coolant leak. I pulled the radiator to change out the starter and tightened all of the clamps back except 1. It wasn't leaking bad, just drips when it got up to temp but it was annoying. I also had a fork that had an oil leak so I had a seal mate tool laying in the tool box. Pulled up the dust seal and used the seal mate added 7psi of air to the forks. So far no more leaks. Much cheaper than replacing the seals.

Rode it to work this morning. Got dirty looks from upper management. lol

So riding home today the bike cut off on me. After standing there scratching my head I Cycled the key a few times and it fired right up. I am at a loss on this one.

Upon further review I checked the fuel lines and filters. II drained one of the float bowls and Cycled the key on and the fuel pump refilled it. I then fired it up and it ran good. I then checked the tank with a flashlight and saw what i assume is the low fuel sensor. The fuel level was about halfway down it. Then the fuel light kicked in. When should the light kick in? Also I may have flipped the switch to reserve when I was on the side of the road

Back