New to me Max and a few questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the pump apart and wiped it out. Now I have fuel flow. Got the bike started and running. I still don't appear to be getting full voltage. It is at 12.2 or so at idle and at 2500 rpms it is 12.7

I rechecked the voltages. The battery started at 12 volts. At idle it was 12.4 and at 2500 it is 12.85. I put it on 5th battery tender to get the battery fully charged.

I have done most of it except the stator tests. I will do those next.

Alright bench tested the stator. It was .7-.8 between all combination of wires. While running at 2500 rpms I had around 40 on all combinations of the wires. I cleaned the ground again. I am thinking of adding another ground wire.

Changed the front brake pads. The ones on it looked to be original. Did a little more with the cbr light and my knee protectors came in so I mounted one so far.

Ok so i put everything together. It cranked right up and i rode it around the yard for about 5 mins or so. Every now and then it would sound like it was pushing air up thru the carb. Not all the time just occasionally. What could cause that?

Cold engine. Ride it until warmed and see how it does.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to double check your airbox boots to be sure they are all 4 seated properly.

Carb sneeze is caused by slight lean condition. Probably from not sufficiently warm bike being run without choke.

Ok Sunday update. It is raining here and that sucks. I got my tags Friday and put my supertrapp exhaust on. Man getting the stock exhaust off was a mother. The supertrapp are awesome. I want to go ride now. Makes me wish I had canceled my concealed carry class yesterday but I can use some of the funds to get a few things for the max.

Got the brake pads changed. Finally took it down the road about a mile. It ran Ok but it may need carb work.

Ok so today I am back to it will idle at 3k with the choke but with any throttle it will die out. Let off the throttle and it will come back. Once it warms up it will idle without the choke but any throttle causes it to die.

I am frustrated and out of funding currently. I may have to trade my new supertrapp slip ons to get them fixed. I have a guy in town who works on bikes on the side but he doesn't like messing with carbs which sucks cause he only charges me for parts.

I was so pissed earlier the thought of selling it crossed my mind.

I would say hang onto it. You will regret it if you get rid of it. There are some SHARP people on this forum, and can help you diagnose any problem.

It sucks because its starting to warm up, and now is the time to ride.

If gas sits in these carbs, its easy to gum stuff up. If you can get it, I would suggest 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of BG-44 fuel system cleaner. That's the cheapest and easiest thing that I know.

clogged pilot jets... Don't ask why this is my standard response lately. Also, take apart your fuel pump to make sure the little metal diaphragm holders aren't rusting and ruining your fun (again, don't ask)...

Posted with my thumbs.

Today I put a small filter and clear tube between the fuel pump and carbs. I can see fuel flowing to the carbs. I pulled the carbs to try the shotgun on them. I found 2 of the Jets on the top I could see gunk in so I cleaned them gently. Put them back on the bike and fired it up. Same results but now I have some popping sounds like from the exhaust. Put it up for the night before I could get pissed.

Ok so I have decided to try a proper carb cleaning following naughty g's excellent write up. Question, seeing as how my bike parts fund is practically non - existent currently, who has the best price on the rebuild kits?

Talk to dannymax to see what you actually need and if he's got the parts there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

So I think I read the coasting enricher doesn't normally need to be replaced. Well mine are very stiff. Not flexible at all.

Back