New Tyre / Tire Preparation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to remove the slippery moulding wax from the tread area of a new tyre?

There must be a way to prep a new tyre prior to setting it on tarmac.

We are always told to take it easy for a few hundred kms so that this stuff wears off but it takes a while to get it off the sides of the tread.

If I need to use the full side of the tread area I'd rather have clean sticky rubber from the outset.

Any ideas:ummm:

I was going to suggest a burn out but that is sort of a waste of a new tire unless you make it a short one.

Can someone tell me how to remove the slippery moulding wax from the tread area of a new tyre?

There must be a way to prep a new tyre prior to setting it on tarmac.

We are always told to take it easy for a few hundred kms so that this stuff wears off but it takes a while to get it off the sides of the tread.

If I need to use the full side of the tread area I'd rather have clean sticky rubber from the outset.

Any ideas:ummm:

Sand paper

I just purchased new tires for my new 18" rear wheel and the stock front from Cycle Gear and got into a discussion on this topic with the store manager. He said the Dunlop rep told him that the modern tire requires a break-in (about 100 miles) because it needs to go thru a couple heat cycles to fully "cure". The old "removing mold release compound" is no longer valid. He said that is why the whole tire is ready to use after the heat cycles, not just the tread you have driven on. That was a concern of mine as I thought I would have problems the first time I hit the corners. I thought you had to scuff all the tread before you could use it aggressively.

I am just reporting what I was told and cannot guarantee this is correct. It makes sense though. Always wondered how driving on the center of the tread could also prepare the edges.

Last edited:
Back