New VMOA Website

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meaning you have it built but it's not been "green lighted" yet??

....So when it goes live we will be seeing something more here than we are now? ?

Is VMOA going to keep the Xoops forum running as well? Or discontinue it???

Thanks, Sorry to be a pain in the ass......

Meaning the forum structure is all set up and ready to go. The original plan was the vmoa website would run as a portal here but time constraints on my side slowed down the process and I think the feeling was that they wanted the web site to be at "arms length" from this forum so that it wasn't totally dependent on this forum and it was still its own entity.

I think the feeling was that they wanted the web site to be at "arms length" from this forum so that it wasn't totally dependent on this forum and it was still its own entity.

That's a shame, as a VMOA member I see the forum they are currently operating as the single biggest restraint on recruiting and especially keeping members when we have alternatives such as this one. Bonds of community and friendship grow from time spent together, and spending time on thier current platform is nothing but a huge PITA. Here it's a joy and Vmaxforum functions exactly the way it should which is INTUITIVELY
I realize that if the biggest draw is the forum, and the forum isn't a VMOA forum, then they lose thier exclusivity, so how do you segregate it???

It IS a catch 22 in it's purest form..............

I truly believe that if they would just reliniquish the idea of a Forum altogether, keep thier current website except for the Forum, and link to this one it would do nothing but help thier cause and pull more people in, of course there will be people that will not join the VMOA since the forum is all they are after, but it's not a step backwards, thier current set up is driving people off off in droves.

It could be a step forward since they would lose nothing that they have not already lost, and probably gain members just by being associated with Vmaxforum.net......
It's going to take some visionary thinking to save the VMOA, I wish for the best but am somewhat pessimistic about its chances if something doesn't change and quickly.......

It's a damn shame to see the VMOA looking like it's flaming out just when the GEN II comes out and opportunity for growth is at it's greatest....What the hell?????????

Thanks Buster for your efforts in trying to make this happen even if others aren't/won't move forward with it....I think they are shooting the VMOA in the foot by doing so.....

The Xoops platform sucks and they need to realize it, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear..period...

Shame this site and the VMOA can't join forces, I think the "Now VMOA" could be destined for greatness, this site's already there in my book. The VMOA needs this site. New VMaxers who are looking for a place to spend time are looking right here.

I'm guilty of spending 99% of the time split here, rather than the VMOA Site. I've developed friendships here and there that will last a lifetime but it is so much easier to communicate here... The VMOA Site is like using a typewriter... :bang head:

I'll stay a member of both this site and the VMOA, either way but I think it would be a tremendous boost to the VMOA to be somewhere right here.

This is only my opinion, and my opinion generally gets me into Deep Shit.:hitsfan:I'm only trying to help....

Shame this site and the VMOA can't join forces, I think the "Now VMOA" could be destined for greatness, this site's already there in my book. The VMOA needs this site. New VMaxers who are looking for a place to spend time are looking right here.

I'm guilty of spending 99% of the time split here, rather than the VMOA Site. I've developed friendships here and there that will last a lifetime but it is so much easier to communicate here... The VMOA Site is like using a typewriter... :bang head:

I'll stay a member of both this site and the VMOA, either way but I think it would be a tremendous boost to the VMOA to be somewhere right here.

This is only my opinion, and my opinion generally gets me into Deep Shit.:hitsfan:I'm only trying to help....

+1.

The VMOA homepage has been in need of help for years. Unfortunately, when only a few people express concern they can be dismissed as complainers. Now that they are many members are speaking out you should see results soon...hopefully.

Blaine

A couple of years ago I began to have trouble posting on the club web site. When we changed to an I pad it was the end of posting. I can go to the site and log in and see my name as one of the members currently using the site. When I go to the forums, I 'm not logged in and cannot log in. The log in box just rolls over and comes up blank again and I'm not logged in. I can read the posts. They are cascaded and I can scroll down through them but I can't reply. So what ever gets done something has got to be done. Thanks to Sean Morley for convincing me to try this site. Rand.

That's a shame, as a VMOA member I see the forum they are currently operating as the single biggest restraint on recruiting and especially keeping members when we have alternatives such as this one. Bonds of community and friendship grow from time spent together, and spending time on thier current platform is nothing but a huge PITA. Here it's a joy and Vmaxforum functions exactly the way it should which is INTUITIVELY
I realize that if the biggest draw is the forum, and the forum isn't a VMOA forum, then they lose thier exclusivity, so how do you segregate it???

It IS a catch 22 in it's purest form..............

I truly believe that if they would just reliniquish the idea of a Forum altogether, keep thier current website except for the Forum, and link to this one it would do nothing but help thier cause and pull more people in, of course there will be people that will not join the VMOA since the forum is all they are after, but it's not a step backwards, thier current set up is driving people off off in droves.

It could be a step forward since they would lose nothing that they have not already lost, and probably gain members just by being associated with Vmaxforum.net......
It's going to take some visionary thinking to save the VMOA, I wish for the best but am somewhat pessimistic about its chances if something doesn't change and quickly.......

It's a damn shame to see the VMOA looking like it's flaming out just when the GEN II comes out and opportunity for growth is at it's greatest....What the hell?????????

Thanks Buster for your efforts in trying to make this happen even if others aren't/won't move forward with it....I think they are shooting the VMOA in the foot by doing so.....

The Xoops platform sucks and they need to realize it, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear..period...

The idea is that this is the forum for the VMOA and the VMOA dumps their forum and creates instead a proper website. Unfortunately there isn't a good complete package that combines a great website with a great forum layout. Even the portal I was creating here for the VMOA lacked the dynamics of a good web presence. I think the route they are taking will give you the best of both worlds.

The idea is that this is the forum for the VMOA and the VMOA dumps their forum and creates instead a proper website. Unfortunately there isn't a good complete package that combines a great website with a great forum layout. Even the portal I was creating here for the VMOA lacked the dynamics of a good web presence. I think the route they are taking will give you the best of both worlds.

Awesome! In that case I will bide my time and hope for the best.

Thanks Buster!

Ditto??? Wait and See....:sad2: But I will still be here, no matter...

I've often commented that with vmaxforum.net you already have the best Vmax site on the web.

If Buster published a magazine and issued member numbers to forum supporters he may be able to take over the whole show...kidding! LOL!

Blaine

I agree Buster, trying to mix the two sites probably wouldn't work. I'm very happy with this website in it's present form, not a need to change anything. The VMOA website needs to stand on it's own to carry on with it's own hard earned reputation. I will continue to support both and enjoy the benefits of each.
To me the VMOA is a brotherhood that celebrates this unique motorcycle so iconic that it did not need a major design overhaul for 22 years! (ok a little poetic license used here!) There are those that have to "get" something for their membership, and when they are do not they move on. What I "get" is my membership into a exclusive club of bike owners that enjoy being different. The work that I see being done, as evidenced by great event at Thunder, will take time to move onto the new version of the VNOA. From my point of view things are happening on the positive side!

I agree Buster, trying to mix the two sites probably wouldn't work. I'm very happy with this website in it's present form, not a need to change anything. The VMOA website needs to stand on it's own to carry on with it's own hard earned reputation. I will continue to support both and enjoy the benefits of each.
To me the VMOA is a brotherhood that celebrates this unique motorcycle so iconic that it did not need a major design overhaul for 22 years! (ok a little poetic license used here!) There are those that have to "get" something for their membership, and when they are do not they move on. What I "get" is my membership into a exclusive club of bike owners that enjoy being different. The work that I see being done, as evidenced by great event at Thunder, will take time to move onto the new version of the VNOA. From my point of view things are happening on the positive side!

+1 Redbone. You can meet all kinds of great brothers and sisters on this forum. Buster has a great thing going here and nothing needs to be changed. We live in an electronic age and thanks to reliable and well-organized forums like this we can be a community of riders all year long.

I support this forum to share riding info, chat with great folks about everything from motorcycles to global warming, and occasionally ride in new areas with some forum members. Buster didn't promise any of these things...it just happens when you're in a community of good people.

Blaine

I just called friends who's are supposed to be going on a ride with My Wife and I tonight. It's normal to leave a message and go on with life. He may or may not find the message and call back. He may or may not go on the ride tonight. This is the way I view the VMOA Website at present. I didn't find this site for years but when I did, it opened up a whole new world of contact. I don't go to the VMOA Site to find out who's doing what, where, I go here... I am a member of both the VMOA and this Forum but it's still 99% to 1%. A better web expereience at the VMOA would alter that to some extent. Then I would be able to do more than check for messages. The VMOA deserves support, it's been around for a long time. I think the present VMOA Leadership will do what's right.... I'm very satisfied with that change and put my faith in Jim...

The VMOA deserves support, it's been around for a long time. I think the present VMOA Leadership will do what's right.... I'm very satisfied with that change and put my faith in...

Substitute "Maple Leafs" for "VMOA" in your above statement and you've captured the opinion of almost every diehard Toronto hockey fan! LOL!

Blaine

If the VMOA is serious about increasing its membership and increasing traffic to the VMOA website, they should make it a little more inviting. While I am sure it is not the intent of the VMOA, the website tends to project a bit of hostility--even though that word may be a little harsh. I think if they would structure their website in such a way as to allow non-members to browse around and lurk a bit, they could reap some benefit. As it is now, along with much of the commentary I have read about the VMOA in general, it gives a visitor, and prospective member, the feeling that "Hey, welcome to the VMOA, send us money, bye". People are willing to support things of interest to them, but they must first become comfortable that it is indeed what they want. The VMOA and especially the VMOA website does not do that. The level of activity and enthusiasm that are present on "Vmaxfourm" would most likely be seen just as readily at the VMOA site if it were more friendly and open.

Thank You for saying what a I couldn't figure out how to spit out...
Welcome to this Forum cuznguido...

All,

I have been following the recent comments here and not posting until I felt that folks had put what they felt out there for me to answer.

So by way of an update as to what the VMOA is doing about the website here goes.

1) We have hired a webmaster to completely revamp our current site working with our Webmaster Liaison, Mike Moore aka Vmax2extreme here, taking into consideration comments and suggestions from our membership.

2) We were working with Buster to get this done, but with his busy schedule we made a decision to hire someone to do the work. I appreciate that Buster had made some progress and started looking at ways to have the VMOA site and this forum work in concert, but again with time constraints we decided to make a decision to go another way.

3) Please send your recommendations to Mike, either here or through the VMOA site. He is our single point of contact with our webmaster contractor and responsible for developing the new site.

I do welcome the comments here and understand that there is a high level frustration about the site and we are working on making it a more user friendly site and definitely more intuitive. One thing I can say for certain is that we really underutilized what we had when the site was revamped a few years back and that we will not make the same mistakes. As a member driven club we need the membership to provide us with the feedback to make the site what they want and not just a hodge podge of stuff with no rhyme or reason. One thing I have to say though is that the VMOA site is in no way, shape, or form in competition with this site for members. To be honest not only do we not want to compete we can't. The sites have two different purposes that are not mutually exclusive and should be complmentary. This site is a great forum of that there is no doubt, the VMOA site has to be something different to accomplish a different outcome. The VMOA is not a website or a magazine, it is a motorcycle club that uses those media to communicate with our members and potential members. Looking at it from that perspective we have to do some things differently from this site which is where the two differ.

I will post updates here as they happen just to keep folks informed. Also, if you are not a VMOA member and see things that you think would make our site more attractive to prospective members please feel free to contact me or Mike.

....The sites have two different purposes..../QUOTE]

Hi Jim,

Nicely worded reply to the questions/concerns that were presented. Maybe it is your use of the term "purpose" but I'm not sure about how the VMOA and the vmaxforum are different. Don't both sites promote the vmax motorcycle in terms of community, tech know-how, parts, rides/events, vendors, etc, etc.? A club's identity is about its people. Vmaxforum has many vmoa members who share their perspectives, stories, ride info, humour, advice, etc here so in what way(s) would a vmoa-only site be different?

Blaine

....The sites have two different purposes..../QUOTE]

Hi Jim,

Nicely worded reply to the questions/concerns that were presented. Maybe it is your use of the term "purpose" but I'm not sure about how the VMOA and the vmaxforum are different. Don't both sites promote the vmax motorcycle in terms of community, tech know-how, parts, rides/events, vendors, etc, etc.? A club's identity is about its people. Vmaxforum has many vmoa members who share their perspectives, stories, ride info, humour, advice, etc here so in what way(s) would a vmoa-only site be different?

Blaine

Blaine,

Yes both sites do exactly what you said, but the VMOA maintains a store with multiple items for sale to our members, and the member contact section is quite a bit different than here. The VMOA has to maintain a distinct web presence that is different than this site as a way to provide its own distinct identity. As for vendors our list is quite a bit more expansive than here and all of the ones here are also there. One thing to keep in mind is that this site is a forum only and if you take a careful look you will note one thing that becomes quite obvious. With the notable exception of a couple of dozen folks most members here do not post much. Such is the life of a forum, you have a few hardcore posters, some middle of the road posters, and a ton of lurkers who provide little to nothing to the collective knowledge. All forums follow a similar path as this one and it is a natural cycle of things. Just take a look at the cycle of questions asked here, same ones, different folks as newbies come in, fail to use the search function, and ask the same questions over and over again. Not that there is anything wrong with this, it is just the cycle of things. The VMOA has to provide more than just a forum which is exactly what we are working on now. The VMOA website will be new, improved, and much more user friendly. We want to ensure a positive response from members and non-members alike to the site and that is why we are soliciting responses from member and even non-members.

Of course we also recognize that no matter what we do there will be some who will compare us unfavorably to other sites. This is a reality that the VMOA will have to live with and all we can do is our very best to provide to our members.

Blaine,

Yes both sites do exactly what you said, but the VMOA maintains a store with multiple items for sale to our members, and the member contact section is quite a bit different than here. The VMOA has to maintain a distinct web presence that is different than this site as a way to provide its own distinct identity. As for vendors our list is quite a bit more expansive than here and all of the ones here are also there. One thing to keep in mind is that this site is a forum only and if you take a careful look you will note one thing that becomes quite obvious. With the notable exception of a couple of dozen folks most members here do not post much. Such is the life of a forum, you have a few hardcore posters, some middle of the road posters, and a ton of lurkers who provide little to nothing to the collective knowledge. All forums follow a similar path as this one and it is a natural cycle of things. Just take a look at the cycle of questions asked here, same ones, different folks as newbies come in, fail to use the search function, and ask the same questions over and over again. Not that there is anything wrong with this, it is just the cycle of things. The VMOA has to provide more than just a forum which is exactly what we are working on now. The VMOA website will be new, improved, and much more user friendly. We want to ensure a positive response from members and non-members alike to the site and that is why we are soliciting responses from member and even non-members.

Of course we also recognize that no matter what we do there will be some who will compare us unfavorably to other sites. This is a reality that the VMOA will have to live with and all we can do is our very best to provide to our members.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Other than a different website your answer suggests that the VMOA does not offer anything different so much as it might offer more of the same features as vmaxforum: more vendors, an exclusive store, and a more detailed contacts page. Not to be argumentative but I am sure that, if asked, many vmoa members here would be kind enough to share these perks with vmaxforum members (e.g. getting them a product from the vmoa store, share vendor info, etc.). Of course, there might be a very small number of elitists (every group has them!) who would say "No, you have to join first"! LOL!

As far as newbies asking the same questions ad nauseum, you are going to get that in any community.

Good luck with the site. I appreciate you opening the door for non-vmoa members to provide input.

Cheers!

Blaine

Why would a non VMOA member want to have VMOA merchandise? My first thought was that only Vmax Owners Association members should be able to get VMOA stuff. But, if someone wants the gear, maybe they should pay full "retail". :confused2:

Back