Nine lives, cursed, or both

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkw0417

Reaction score
I got rear ended again on my way home friday. I was very lucky to keep it upright this time, impact ripped the bars out of my hands an I allmost rolled off the back of the seat. I caught both feet on something(felt like the handlel bars) and kicked myself back upright. Very lucky cause I am not that agile. Upon inspection, busted tail and scratched fender seem to be the extent of the damage. All in all it seems like I got away lucky again.

Good to hear you're around still. The rear frame section of the bike is VERY flimsy and will likely be bent. It's probably not bent where anything aligns like shocks or swingarm but where the grabrail mounts up. Look for cracks in the paint on the frame tubes back there. Easy enough to bend them back but might give you a bigger payday from their insurance (if they have any).

Sean

Glad you are okay. Getting hit like that is always a concern of mine when I stop at the light. Here in Florida, people are bad about taking their eyes off the road once they start slowing down instead of actually waiting till they are stopped. When I'm sitting at a light, I watch for the first car to pull up behind me before I put it in neutral to rest my hands. I keep it in first gear till there is something stopped behind me but don't know if I can ever do anything other than move an extra foot or two. The main thing I try to do is watch for someone not slowing down fast enough so that I can hit my horn. I worry more when I'm stopped on a downhill slope.

Has anyone been able to avoid something like this in the past? What techniques if any did you use?

I hope they have insurance. Floridians are the worst when it comes to insurance.

Glad your alive and kicking! I feel your pain and hope no one has to go through a wreck! Just been through one myself. Take care...

Glad you are okay. Getting hit like that is always a concern of mine when I stop at the light. Here in Florida, people are bad about taking their eyes off the road once they start slowing down instead of actually waiting till they are stopped. When I'm sitting at a light, I watch for the first car to pull up behind me before I put it in neutral to rest my hands. I keep it in first gear till there is something stopped behind me but don't know if I can ever do anything other than move an extra foot or two. The main thing I try to do is watch for someone not slowing down fast enough so that I can hit my horn. I worry more when I'm stopped on a downhill slope.
Has anyone been able to avoid something like this in the past? What techniques if any did you use?
Being rear-ended is my biggest fear, regardless of what I'm driving. In a car or on a bike, when someone is following too close, if possible I pull over and let them go by. Also when being followed, I don't make courtesy stops for cars trying to exit sidestreets to my lane. At stops, if there is a car in front of me, I leave lots of room, to keep from being sandwiched, if hit from behind.
When approaching a stop with someone behind me, tailgating or not, I do everything I can to make them pay attention. This always involves flashing the brake lights, long before the stop , and in the case of tailgaters, I slow down well before the stop, of course slowing them at the same time. This sometimes pisses them off, but at least I know their eyes or on me when I do get stopped. I also try to see who's doing the driving, and act accordingly. Young girls on cellphones, and carloads of punks(for want of a better word), always send shivers up my spine. Excuse the "typecasting", but that's just the way it is.
On the bike, I have two brakelights. The top one is fitted with a modulator that automatically flashes the light in a pattern, as long as the brakes are applied. I leave my bike in gear at stops.
I've never been a slave to the dictates of fashion, this also applies to what's considered "de rigure" for bikers. I ditched my black jacket years ago, in favour of a lighter colour, and I also wear a reflective vest. At gas stops, I have been told many times by drivers how much more visible they make a rider, compared to your basic black variety. That's proof enough for me.
Ride safe!

I think the tire took most of the impact, the tail light cracked but still functions. The tire looks okay and the rim isnt bent. I will take a good look at the frame.

If the grab rail is undamaged/scuffed then it's probably ok!

Sean

You said you got rear ended AGAIN!?? Have you been hit more than once on the bike?

Glad you're ok man. I was in Houston a few weeks ago(Pasadena/Deer Park) visiting relatives and noticed bikes down there weren't splitting lanes in heavy traffic. I asked my cousins if it was legal and not being bike people they didn't know. Anyway I ride the freeways and streets of SoCal where lane sharing is legal so at stop lights I just get up to the head of the line between cars and when the light turn green I'm gone so usually there is no one directly behind me. I'm always checking my mirrors and tapping my brake lever when coming to a stop to be more visible too.
Mike

Glad you're ok man. I was in Houston a few weeks ago(Pasadena/Deer Park) visiting relatives and noticed bikes down there weren't splitting lanes in heavy traffic. I asked my cousins if it was legal and not being bike people they didn't know. Anyway I ride the freeways and streets of SoCal where lane sharing is legal so at stop lights I just get up to the head of the line between cars and when the light turn green I'm gone so usually there is no one directly behind me. I'm always checking my mirrors and tapping my brake lever when coming to a stop to be more visible too.
Mike
Its not legal to split lanes in the Houston Area.

You need a tail light? I've got one. PM me.

{EDIT. whoops sorry, just read one of your earlier posts. nevermind}

Thanks Captain! That's what I figured when I kept seeing bikes in huge lines of traffic just idling along with the cars in the sweltering heat. Man that must suck especially with an air cooled.
Mike

Yes this is the second time I have been hit on the same road. First time was about 18 months ago( last in line at a light headed towards a low sun). This time middle of the pack, had already gone through at least 4 light cycles with this guy behind me, he had kept a good distance up to that point and I stopped watching him. Was still at least 2 cycles away from the light.

I have a motorcycle mods tail light, bracket is fine and the light is only $45.
Hell this one still works, other then the lense is cracked and has a chunck missing.

Just a big reminder to never stop paying attention, even when they know you are there.

Back