Nine lives, cursed, or both

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are okay. Getting hit like that is always a concern of mine

Has anyone been able to avoid something like this in the past? What techniques if any did you use? I all ways lane split to the front of traffic if possible.Best way to keep from getting rear ended. Some states don't allow it,but California does.:biglaugh:

I think the tire took most of the impact, the tail light cracked but still functions. The tire looks okay and the rim isnt bent. I will take a good look at the frame.

I'm glad You're ok. There's nothing you can't replace and fix. Lot's of parts around. Geting rear ended is my second biggest fear after getting side swiped by a cager.
Steve-o

... Some states don't allow it,but California does.
biglaugh.gif

someone told me once that california is the only state in the union where lane splitting is not against the law.

{EDIT}
guess he was technically correct. following courtesy of wikipedia

California has no laws explicitly prohibiting lane splitting, and is the only U.S. state for which official statements state that lane splitting, when done safely, is legal. California is not the only state for which there is no traffic law that explicitly prohibits lane splitting,but officials rely on other laws to regularly interpret lane splitting as unlawful. For example, New Mexico does not address lane splitting by name, but has language requiring turn signals be used continuously for at least 100 ft (30 m) before changing lanes,as well as other codes which may be cited by an officer. Many other states have identical codes, derived from the Uniform Vehicle Code.
{/EDIT}

someone told me once that california is the only state in the union where lane splitting is not against the law I'd be soooo pissed off if I couldn't lane split.All bikers here in SoCal are spoiled.We get to use the car pool lanes ,theres no inspections & great weather.From what I've seen u can ware anything that resembles a helmet. :bike1:

9 lives is not the limit, I've rolled past that number a long time ago... Sure good that you're OK....

When approaching a stop with someone behind me, tailgating or not, I do everything I can to make them pay attention. This always involves flashing the brake lights, long before the stop , and in the case of tailgaters, I slow down well before the stop, of course slowing them at the same time. This sometimes pisses them off, but at least I know their eyes or on me when I do get stopped.

I do this too, but once, a tailgater got really pissed off and overtook me only to slam into the back of a group of cars that were slowing because of a minor accident a quarter mile up the road. Well, I tried to warn her that traffic was backing up :confused2:

Yes this is the second time I have been hit on the same road. First time was about 18 months ago( last in line at a light headed towards a low sun). This time middle of the pack, had already gone through at least 4 light cycles with this guy behind me, he had kept a good distance up to that point and I stopped watching him. Was still at least 2 cycles away from the light.

I have a motorcycle mods tail light, bracket is fine and the light is only $45.
Hell this one still works, other then the lense is cracked and has a chunck missing.
I may have a slightly modded Motorcycle Mods taillight if your internals are good. My light is fried(well, except 3 leds) and is just taking up space. Let me know if ya want it.

Ya gotta watch-out every day you're on the road, you never know what idiot is approaching from what direction. I just saw a BMW spin-out on the interstate in Miami this past week, driving entirely too-fast for a torrential downpour. Happened right in-front of me, I went around him on the left while he was demonstrating his lack of driving skills across four lanes of traffic-diagonally!

My senior year of high school in MI, one of my best friends bought an absolutely gorgeous 1966 Chevelle SS396 4-speed, two years old. It was blue almost the electric blue that Mark Donohue ran on Roger Penske's Sunoco cars. "Marina Blue," I think. As-soon as he bought it, he took it to the tire shop & replaced the GM Rallye wheels w/chrome reverse-rim wheels & one of the original Goodyear Polyglas GT tire sets, RWL of-course. It was really pretty. The first week he had it, he was waiting in-line on the road out of the city headed to home, on a lake very close to the Paw Paw MI summer ride. So he was in the habit of watching his rear-view mirror, and saw a crazy driver closing much-too-fast, so he calmly put it into gear, and pulled onto the shoulder & up a couple of lengths. The driver slammed-into the car he was behind, and pushed that car into the one in-front. My buddy waited until the cars in-front of them cleared-out from the light, and pulled back onto the road, and continued on his way.

"Watch your six!" (o'clock position)

If he had totaled his car the first week, what would we have done for the next two years, until he bought the new '70 1/2 Z28? The parties, the women, the concerts, the trips? Would things have changed like on "Fringe?"

For fun he drove sprints and midgets but was too-big to fit into the turbo Offy Indy cars his Dad owned (he was a power-lifter and owned his own exercise equipment manufacturing company).

Like this, but his was a coupe:
chevrolet-00177-1.jpg

Thanks for all the offers guys, but I have a new light unit on the way.

Back